Ephinea rolled back to 8/24/2015 8:00am UTC-8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
I had to roll back the server to 8:00am this morning due to a huge bug on the server. There was an exploit discovered for the Tekker which allowed people to tek stuff up to 100%. This is a recent bug that was added after the addition of grinding. It's totally my fault and I'll take any slack you want to throw at me for it.

Thank you to conenubi701 for reporting this.

*grabs tomato's*

How long does the server remain down for said rollback? I have no idea how long those things take, I just logged in to see the rollback message in game haha.

It's rolled back now. It takes seconds to roll it back.

Good, I missed like 20 exp from monsters I killed with this rollback though. :(

Where is my 100% Tribooster compensation, in good sega fashion? :lol: (sega gives that on every emergency maint they have to do on PSO2. 100% Tribooster is pretty much for 30 mins you get 100% exp, meseta, rate drop rate boost for those that don't know)

are you sure that you had to rollback and fuck up 3 hours worth of grinding i just became level 20 and now i have to be set back 4+ levels because of this.

i really think that rollbacks should be the absolutely unnecessary unless no other feasible option can be taken.

Yes, I had to because I'm not sure who all was able to exploit it during the 3.5 hours the bug existed. I'd have to do a thorough investigation and while doing that, the longer other people could be exploiting it. If I had determined that there was a reason to roll back, the more progress people would have lost during the investigation had I kept the server up during it.

I lost 4 lvl's myself but I don't care :) I'd rather lose those lvl's than have people exploiting the game and running around with 100% weapons. Good work catching this as quickly.

For anyone who thinks you can be a better administrator than me and would have made a better choice than me, you can tell me what I should have done in the situation, besides the obvious "Don't create the bug in the first place."

Here were the options I had:

1) Rollback the server immediately to 8am before the bug was introduced.
2) Do an investigation with the server up on everyone's character data file, which could have more people abusing the exploit. (most likely writing a custom program to look for any extremely high percentages on rare items or even common items and deduce, at my own judgment what was legit or not, and either change the percent or delete the item)
3) Same as #2 but with the server down to stop exploits temporarily.
4) Set all percents to everyone's items to 50% or lower.

I figured #1 would be faster and let everyone get on with their lives because first of all, rare drops aren't logged by time and date right now, neither is tekking data logged right now.

Investigating who took advantage of this problem and how much is actually extremely difficult.

But, hey, if you're going to cry about 3.5 hours of work, I can roll it back, with the server down for however long it takes (especially since I'm at my real job right now and can't really get started on the investigation until I return home 5.5 hours from now, so the server would be down from now until I got home and completed the investigation.)

I mean, I did a database backup before I rolled back.

rare drops and tekking should be logged your lucky that person decided to even report the glitch so you could figure out what broke that allowed the exploit to happen what do you do when another glitch of this magnitude is found by someone and they decide not to report it like that person did?

Sodaboy said:
But, hey, if you're going to cry about 3.5 hours of work, I can roll it back, with the server down for however long it takes (especially since I'm at my real job right now and can't really get started on the investigation until I return home 5.5 hours from now, so the server would be down from now until I got home and completed the investigation.)

I mean, I did a database backup before I rolled back.

Shhhh ignore them, it was 3.5 hours. It's not like you rolled it back DAYS or anything, rofl. People will get over it.

I think the only thing you should do, and only if you WANT to:

If a couple people somehow maybe lost a valuable drop and complained, double check that they aren't lying and didn't trade it away, double check the percents, and then restore it for them if it exists in the backup but not on their current toon. I have no idea how much time that would take (or if anyone would actually complain and have you restore anything - again, 3.5 hours is not a long time lol), but I would assume it would be much less time consuming than investigating the entire server.

As long as the server stays small, that would seem like a safe rollback policy tbh (and once people are higher level it would prevent the "oh no my Red Ring is goooooone and it FINALLY just dropped"). But it's up to you :p.

Thanks again for hosting this server.

AJC46 said:
rare drops and tekking should be logged your lucky that person decided to even report the glitch so you could figure out what broke that allowed the exploit to happen what do you do when another glitch of this magnitude is found by someone and they decide not to report it like that person did?
It depends on how long the glitch was in place before it was discovered.

If it was a short period of time like this one was, I would just roll back.

If it was long, I would do something to normalize the data of all users and offer a compensation of sort.

If that type of resolution or how I run things here is unacceptable to you or anyone else, you're free to not play here just as you're free to play here.

If you haven't read the disclaimer yet, by all means read it. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=270

I think that the rollback was the right decision. For future/big rollbacks, however, I think that a small compensation in the form of 1.5 exp or something for a few hours would be OK.

no reason to get upset about this. problem was found and solved. and seriously ... 3hours ... many of use just lost year of "work/fun" on one of the other servers. So yea, thanks for the quick reaction :roll:

AJC46 said:
3 hours of time that is hard to come by is serious.

Thank you for reading the Ephinea Disclaimer.

I'm pretty sure it tells you, clear as day.

"By playing on this server, you acknowledge this and understand that we will not be held accountable for any strange behavior, data loss, etc., you may experience while playing Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst on our server."

In short, stop whining, get over it.
Shit happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back