Ephinea relocation (part 3)

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
Just FYI, server locations now:

US/Fodra (Chicago, Illinois, USA)
US/Auldrant (Seattle, Washington, USA)
EU/Lumireis (Frankfurt, Germany, Europe)

US/Fodra was previously located in San Jose, California, which had high ping for European players. Now that it is in Chicago, Illinois, US/Fodra is the best middle ground for everyone to play together. Of course, if you are in Europe, EU/Lumireis will provide the best experience yet. However, EU/Lumireis will have a higher ping for USA players.

Awesome stuff. :mrgreen:

Actually, I might do the move tonight for the main server, the game will be down for 30-60 minutes (could be a little longer, but that's the estimate), as I want to get it done ASAP for the benefit of the players.

Haha, I don't feel that good about it... They might have had their reasons, but 4 years is kinda stretching what's acceptable. Anyhow, edited first post.

This will be great for us players in the UK, now I just have to work out when that time is over here :)

Really appreciate the effort you put into this project for your users, great job and thank you.

I've only occasionally noticed any issues with lag, but this is still really cool! Will the main ship get renamed? I can't wait to see the EU ship's name!

Did the move cause the forum's base time zone to change? I'm seeing NDW's post as having been made 90 minutes in the future, so no matter how many times I view the thread or mark all forums read, it still shows as a new post, as do a few posts in other forums, too. :p I checked my timezone settings, and they haven't changed, and my posts have the correct timestamps (even though I made this post after Soda's and NDW's next two posts, my post is still appearing before theirs somehow, haha).

Yeah, people logged in/posted before I remembered to change the time zone. It'll correct itself in about, oh, an hour or so.

POSTING AGAIN NOW THAT THE TIMEZONE HAS BEEN CORRECTED ON THE FORUM

Alright, the main server was relocated to Chicago, Illinois, USA, we also have two other new ships.

The first new ship is named Auldrant and located in Seattle, Washington, USA. The second new ship is named Lumireis and is located in Frankfurt, Germany.

Oh wow, I didn't expect this at all. You're amazing Soda-kun~

A ship in Germany will work nicely for us. Just hope it doesn't split the community to much though ^^;

Well mostly I play with my friends who are in the UK and Portugal so I'm happy with it.

I'm not that good with strangers anyway ^^;

Maybe it's just me, but I think you should totally have the Ship/EU option to switch to the list of European ships and the Ship/US option to switch to the list of North American ships, rather than just having both in the same list. Authenticity, get! :p

As for "splitting" the community, it's nothing that players weren't able to handle on the official servers. If your friends were already on another ship, you went there. If you were looking for a game and couldn't find one on your local ship, you'd try the foreign ones. Certain ships and blocks became known as the gathering places for Battle and Challenge, so if you wanted to do that, you'd go there first.

Just did a quick mop-up forest run to try out the EU ship, this is pretty nice, there's noticeably less delay for items to appear and to pick them up. ^^
In the original ship it really didn't feel much laggy to me, so was surprised to still see a noticeable change.

Updated first post with this information, but wanted everyone to see it:

US/Fodra was previously located in San Jose, California, which had high ping for European players. Now that it is in Chicago, Illinois, US/Fodra is the best middle ground for everyone to play together. Of course, if you are in Europe, EU/Lumireis will provide the best experience yet. However, EU/Lumireis will have a higher ping for USA players.

New EU server is great. :p Did some Challenge with a couple of EU friends and it's so much smoother since item generation is instant (no more wondering if something is going to spawn after I ran past it) and damage cancel is severely reduced, making games go faster and less reliant on resources when it cancels too much.

Thanks a lot.

There should be another reduction in lag coming soon.

I've finally changed the patch, login and ship server code to use non-blocking I/O as opposed to blocking I/O.

I haven't updated the ships yet, but this should provide a pretty significant reduction in lag, I believe.

OK, all ships, the patch server and login server were updated to use non-blocking I/O now.

Previously, with blocking I/O, when a slow connection connected or sent and received data, anyone else sending and receiving data would be queued behind them. Now, all the processing of TCP/IP packets is done in parallel, so the performance of the server should be a lot more smoother.

Back