Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumdedoo said:
5) desync options you might whine about. Allot of current Online Dungeon crawlers have a so called hardcore mode where your character gets permanently deleted if you Die. Guess what! even though all those games have desync issues allot people still play those modes.
Actually thinking of adding something like this to Ephinea. An option to create a "Hardcore" account. Hardcore accounts cannot trade with Normal accounts, though. They can't even pick up other players item drops. They will also have experience boosted by 2x permanently. However, once their character dies, it dies for real. (Unless you have a Scape Doll.) You cannot be saved by a Moon Atomizer or a Reverser.

They'll probably have improved drop rates too.

Just something I've been kicking around in my head.

sounds like permanent cmode, sort of. i like it!

Sodaboy said:
Actually thinking of adding something like this to Ephinea. An option to create a "Hardcore" account. Hardcore accounts cannot trade with Normal accounts, though. They can't even pick up other players item drops. They will also have experience boosted by 2x permanently. However, once their character dies, it dies for real. (Unless you have a Scape Doll.) You cannot be saved by a Moon Atomizer or a Reverser.

They'll probably have improved drop rates too.

Just something I've been kicking around in my head.

Just to be clear I am not one of those player that plays hardcore mode :? . I used it as an example that even when penalties get more harsh. People like to take that challenge still. Fortunately you are adding it as optional choice and still allow them to play with "regular" players. Because myself would never do such mode by choice. I consider myself human still and don't have any intend to overcome my human errors. Yes the EXP penalties add a nice spice to it but perma death is not something I wouldn't choose myself. I of course fully support the idea that people can choose to create such characters.

But I will be 100% honest I really can't promise I can resist my urge to Photon Blast in a room full of missles when such player joines any of the parties I'm in. :lol:

I'm too tired to read these posts and honestly I can't be bothered to put in the amount of effort into this game that would be required to achieve anything anymore. I really don't have time to deal with this kind of thing. It's why casual games are such a larger market these days. It's easy to play them for like 5 minutes and drop them, pick them up again for another 5 etc.

That's what PSO was for me... a game I could play for a handful of minutes at a time. Drop it and pick it up again. This kind of "hard mode" crap isn't for me. I don't have time for it. I'm officially going to limit my playtime to lobby whoring and chatting with people.

This is the first decision on this server that I can honestly say I wholeheartedly disagree with.

Edit: read the thread, I wasn't talking about the hard core idea though. I was talking about the 20% exp loss. The 5% and 1% exp loss sounds a lot less "hard mode". So yeah, cool I guess. Eh. My mood changed from thumbs down to shrug.

Edit 2: Don't get offended by my post. I know some people get sensitive around ideas that don't run parallel to their own. I'm not trying to be negative, but yeh, just voicing my vote. I don't think the penalty will really change the behaviors people already have in this game. It's not going to change the meta, and it definitely won't make people "get good". There is literally published research on this topic, for those who take things they read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Kevdo, hard mode would be optional... you don't have to make a hard mode character. Don't bash something that's in development when you're "too tired" to read what's even being said about them... :|

Ryan said:
Kevdo, hard mode would be optional... you don't have to make a hard mode character. Don't bash something that's in development when you're "too tired" to read what's even being said about them... :|
I wasn't referring to the optional hard mode idea fyi and I definitely wasn't "bashing" anything. I was merely stating my personal point of view.

I can say from personal experience that a "hardcore mode" could be more intriguing then you think. I no for me and my lil group of friends played "diablo 2 and 3" quite a bit, and for both games once things kinda got stale we swapped to hardcore mode "if your char dies its gone poof" and it really improved the value of gameplay "for us" shoot d3 only lasted as long as it did solely based on our decision to swap over to hardcore only. even for a casual gamer the "hardcore mode" idea can still be very fun and new experience. I can say from personal exp from other games that the challenge of "never dieing" is quite fun :) ***also by "casual gamer" i mean someone who can only devote limited amounts of time at random intervals not casual as in effort in playstyle :p as in "oh hey i have 100hp left no worries **BOOMA CRIT 2 THE FACE..DEAD..**

new rules about xp

hello I would like to express my opinion about this new rule think maybe this might discourage new players to play due to the fact that xp always be 1 x still you die and lose it was hard to make good this and my opinion thank you for this space

What this thread has been sort of lacking is a thorough explanation of what a penalty on death like this would actually accomplish.
I get that people think it will make others play better, but I honestly doubt it. And when players are performing less than ideally they're just gonna get flak. I feel like a penalty on death in this form will create unnecessary drama and resentment within a party, even if the penalty is small. Schthack wasn't already the friendliest of places, and I wonder any sort of penalty in this shape could do what you hope. I also get the idea that people will just be hesitant to even run certain content. Can't learn the content and get practice if people are too worried about running it, or quitting before a certain boss.

Is 1% REALLY gonna put people off that much? Like people talking about drama and being afraid to run bosses - that only really applies to boss rush quests right, since most quests take place in a single area or two where you're either good for it the whole way through or not at all.

If you're that desperate to level and are a bit low, surely a handful of 1% losses on TTF Dark Falz is not gonna be more of a loss than what you gain from him at the end of the battle? And if the 1% losses are MASSIVE - surely if you're THAT late game you shouldn't be dying that much if you're an efficient player anyways?

JezMM said:
Is 1% REALLY gonna put people off that much? Like people talking about drama and being afraid to run bosses - that only really applies to boss rush quests right, since most quests take place in a single area or two where you're either good for it the whole way through or not at all.

If you're that desperate to level and are a bit low, surely a handful of 1% losses on TTF Dark Falz is not gonna be more of a loss than what you gain from him at the end of the battle? And if the 1% losses are MASSIVE - surely if you're THAT late game you shouldn't be dying that much if you're an efficient player anyways?

Some classes die more than others, regardless of the skill of the player. I realize it's "not a big deal" to you, but it will add to the frustration of a certain type of player. Which in some cases might just create bad vibes.

Edit: Also feel like solo-play is getting the short end of the stick.

i like the idea of death penalty and i hope it goes back to 20%>10% because it makes the game more fun and people wouldnt die as much.

government said:
i like the idea of death penalty and i hope it goes back to 20%>10% because it makes the game more fun and people wouldnt die as much.

I die just as much now as I do without a death penalty.

Chain rabarta RNG.

This game is 16 years old, I sincerely doubt the community will get better at the game with a harsher death penalty. This game is already filled with plenty of frustration from rare item hunting. I personally don't mind the current penalty of 5/1 because it only REALLY hurts for solo play (which as an mmo should have some discouragement) or very high leveled characters (who really should not be dying as much). But amounts like 20/10 just seem like overkill.

you do realize you can dodge the falz rabarta, right? it's not even that hard. you can avoid death in pso no matter what, nothing has a 100% chance of killing you unless you are underleveled or (for a lack of a better word) underskilled.

government said:
you can avoid death in pso no matter what, nothing has a 100% chance of killing you unless you are underleveled or (for a lack of a better word) underskilled.
That is not true. There are things that can kill you in this game, no matter what.

Edit: unless you mean you can avoid doing those things that can kill you regardless of level, in which case I'd agree, but not playing at all is also a good way to never die.

government said:
you do realize you can dodge the falz rabarta, right? it's not even that hard. you can avoid death in pso no matter what, nothing has a 100% chance of killing you unless you are underleveled or (for a lack of a better word) underskilled.

Sorry to say, but this reads like a bit of a silly post. Do you never get screwed by the rabarta hitting 3x? Or get unlucky with Darvants right after? Do you never die in PSO at all?

FO's are gonna suffer disproportionately from this penalty. Not sure how that's fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back