Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between this and the whitill red ring issue, I'm really liking the direction soda and the others are taking discussions on the forums.

Best part is that this and the pso2 drop system really help out the multiplayer experience for me. (I used to be a heavy solo player just because as a ranger I never really got any sought after rares otherwise)

I was thinking 10% - 1% split, but 5% and 1% works too. Probably better for the people who don't want to memorize spawns.

Thanks bby <3

Alright, the new rates are now in effect. Just finished bringing the server back up.

I was actually curious when/if you were going to implement a death penalty. I agree that the original values were way too high though and I'm happy to see the lower values. Keep up the good work!

Great to have someone running the server who actually hears the players for a change.

Edit: Is the 100k cap still there? Could a Lv.199 lose 100k with every death, stacking multiple times within 1 run?

10% death penalty seem's fair, and 5% back on revival. I was kinda hoping for the server to have this exp loss element. I agree with you though Soda, would encourage players to get better as well. Would make units like god hp, and heavenly hp valuable especially for forces with low hp.

I wouldn't mind 15% loss and 5% back after revival but people would probably complain a lot since that's still 10% loss per death with revival.

You always say it's our choice to play here since you pay the bills. Well I choose to quit. Sega got rid of penalty's a longggg time ago for a reason. I don't care if it's 1%, that's not true to Sega's vision for PSO.

Want to make items harder to get? Fine. Adding death penalties to such an old clunker of a game? No. People get desyced and you could accidentally revive someone just before a barrage of braz missiles or something that you had no idea was around. 1% is to much and I really wish you'd talk to the community before making such big changes like this.

Hmmm. Okay with this penalty as I never die anyway since I have played almost every class to max lvl.

For risky farming runs at high level take scapes or put a pipe up regularly to run to and get out if you are in big trouble.

Know your spawns in the megid, megid everywhere areas :D

I wonder if you can tier it like taxes, from 20-40 it's 5% - 1 %, from 40-90 it's 7% - 3%, and so forth with a cap of 10% -5 %?

I Really like this too. Brings back the times where having resist devils actually meant something. (look it up it might be the difference on surviving a megid spray).

Sooooooo now this is implemented. Am I still allowed to use my PB whenever a Garanz starts spewing missiles :roll:?

(Ahem let's just say if you ever do a TTF with me and you announce you leave after volt opt due to this penalty. Accidents CAN happen! :twisted: )

Now that I've calmed down and less pissed off let me explain my case a little more clearly.

1) First off this is just going to get people to quit mid quest:

TTF was super spamable before. Times are different, you can't get groups going nearly as easily. With this penalty in effect, you can expect far more dcers. Think you'll do ultimate mode valz? Ha!

2) This isn't going to make people better:

PSO is an old game and desynces happen fairly frequently. You can be a pro, and still get screwed up by desynces. The only thing this new system will do is encourage new players just to stick with one player mode so other people don't screw them up.

3) Even small decreases and capped exp loss adds up:

When we're talking about grinding to 200, a little exp can quickly add up.

4) If you want to do this, make a vanilla option:

So let's run a little experiment. Tie the exp loss to your increased luck system. So if people want that daily luck bonus they'll have to risk the death penalty. If they don't take any increased luck, they don't risk exp penalty. Seems fair right?

I'm actually willing to bet more users will take the vanilla option even if you offered 110% luck. Why? Because no one wants to work harder on an already daunting task.

Sheik said:
Now that I've calmed down and less pissed off let me explain my case a little more clearly.

TTF was super spamable before. Times are different, you can't get groups going nearly as easily. With this penalty in effect, you can expect far more dcers. Think you'll do ultimate mode valz? Ha!

PSO is an old game and desynces happen fairly frequently. You can be a pro, and still get screwed up by desynces. The only thing this new system will do is encourage new players just to stick with one player mode so other people don't screw them up.

So let's run a little experiment. Tie the exp loss to your increased luck system. So if people want that daily luck bonus they'll have to risk the death penalty. If they don't take any increased luck, they don't risk exp penalty. Seems fair right?

I'm actually willing to bet more users will take the vanilla option even if you offered 110% luck. Why? Because no one wants to work harder on an already daunting task.
I'd take exp loss with 10% luck over no loss and 0% any day. Pso is about treasure hunting, leveling comes as a biproduct of that.

The penalty is applied the moment your HP reaches 0, disconnecting before reviving isn't going to save you anything tho. If people disconnect mid-run that's their loss. :(

Sheik said:

1) Easy fix: XP gained in quest + the 5% return to pioneer 2 penalty if you quit mid quest. I really! Really!! Really!!! Hate it when I end up facing falz on ultimate alone because people start/join quests they can't handle.

2) actually it forces people to multiplayer more. Eventually you run out of scapedolls and don't want to lose 5% due to human error. in Multiplayer you only lose 1%. I also really hate the current attitude of players at falz and flowen. They don't use the tactics the game is trying to let you do. Instead people will Slash/Shoot/Nuke Falz / Flowen anyway because you can be easily revived. What's the point of having bosses with those mechanics if dieing means nothing anyway.

3) lvl 200 is hitting the Cap. The Ultimate goal. It should be hard to attain and only be available for the true vets, period! And you can still cheat yourself to it by spamming Forest 1 in normal mode.

4) This is the only point I might agree with you. More danger = more luck. But more in the taste of 10% Luck for the REAL!! PSOBB death penalties!

5) desync options you might whine about. Allot of current Online Dungeon crawlers have a so called hardcore mode where your character gets permanently deleted if you Die. Guess what! even though all those games have desync issues allot people still play those modes.

Conclusion. It's a game. You don't have to play it. If you don't like it. Don't play. It's maximum a penalty of 100.000 XP which is 1 hour of grinding TOPS!

I'm not really against this death penalty idea since I try to keep myself alive during tough times, or quests, but I can understand Sheik's view that any amount of xp penalty upon death will make some players more like chickens that are more risk-averse than before heh heh. I guess that some of us players thought that this was going to be an idea that would go as far as qwerty took it where he was kind enough to share the information. Even though it went further than that, I'm not bothered by it since it gives me another reason to put my game face on. I just think that some players, like Sheik, like to keep it the way it is, but I'm sure that we can all accept the minor losses to xp since it definitely will be less than 10% of xp involved without trouble, right?

Great, I will add that my understanding of the new drop system has been in a more favorable view recently since I usually play with other players and share the loot using that system often. It's good to know that the luck boosts of solo players were slightly reduced before anybody acted on it selfishly. As for the recent adjustment for the DARs and DRs, they definitely have given players more chances to find items overall. I think the items are dropping fine now, so it all worked out better than I expected. I was afraid that it would be hard to get used like last Friday because it used to drop noting most of the time. Anyways, I'm glad that the drops appear to be more promising than before, so keep up the good work Sodaboy. :)

wait how am i supposed to ever level up again? D:

just kidding, this will give me a reason to show people how good i actually am at this game and stop dicking around in ttfs and the like

happy leveling, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back