Beginner's question

Asmod3hus

Baguette Hunter
Hi everyone,

We just started to play on Ephinea yesterday with one of my friends and I have some questions about the game fo you.

First of all, I have a FOMar (Yellowboze) and my friend a HUCast (Redria).

My first question is what should we do to start ? Is it better to do the gov quests first ? Or just go on exploration and lvl up ? I also posted a thread under the bug section because the 1st gov quest has a warp bug where we end up in different rooms and cannot lock ennemies.

My second question is Why is it sooo hard ? I created a party in Normal mode in Ep 1 and we can't go very far, either during quests (sidequests are far too hard for us lol) or just when exploring Ragol. Is there something we missed ? Maybe we picked characters that are not well suited for newbies ? We keep dying and can't go very far because we used every mates and fluids very quickly and now we don't have any money to buy more.

I also play the game on GC (Ep 1 & 2) and I could kill a Booma with 2 Foie with my lvl 1 FOMar but now I need at least 5 techs to kill 1 ennemy :/
Thanks to those who'll help us :)

To answer the difficulty question, if you select "One Person Mode" when creating a game, it'll be like it is on Gamecube, but then you wont be able to play with your friend ><...

Hey, Welcome on Ephinea.

First relevant point online compared to DC / GC offline solo mode in the past, is that enemies are stronger in multiplayer (think was the case on GC multi aswell if i recall).
PSO was always hard to kickstart, due to dull damage, no MAG stats, and long path before looting any relevant gear.
You both got the extreme aswell, Force being the hardest class to start with, and HUcast being the most straight forward (easiest) character - but both rocks in the endgame, so good pick.

Id say to start, just do some exploration with your friend and ignore the online quests, time you get a few techs, few weapons, and level your MAG, this is vital.

If you create a party without a password some higher level players will probably hop in and carry yous, helping to level up.
Toward the Future (TTF) and Tyrells EGO (EGO) are the most renowned quests to Level up, under the VR section at the guild. they are a boss rush, Ego containing loads of mobs.

Being said, by pushing your mag and exploring you two will find your first gear and quickly be overpowered for the forest.
Run the dragon couple times and hop in the Caves, etc etc.

Im sure it wont take too long :)

//Steph

Ok thanks for the reply, the problem we have is that we used all our healing items and we have a hard time advancing without dying. My friend is completely new to PSO so maybe we'll need some time to be more efficient.
We'll try again tonight and create a party with no password and see if we can make it to the dragon at least :)

Yes indeed, a fresh start can be tough.
If your internet connection is good enough, i would suggest you guys hop on the US server, that where most of the population is.
Evening french time is very well populated, and slightly later on is the peak time. So im sure wont be an issue to get players in your party - Even when i create a party "afk MAG" i get full parties lol..

Theres fresh players flowing everyday so lots are staring willing help.
Just create a party "help" and will take no time :p

I have another question, for my FOmar :
What kind of mag should I aim for ?
I looked on PSO-worlds guide and found that I can either go for a full POW mag, a full MIND mag or try to get Nidra, which one is the best ?

Most people got for a Sato mag, due to its invincibility buff that trigger on the 3 occasions (boss, low HP, PB full) and reverser on death.
The "common" stats for a Sato is 5 DEF (default) 45 DEX and 150 MND.

Now FOmar i understand is very versatile, and is great with weapons.
You can always start with a Mind mag, and do a Power oriented mag later?
Since your a Force you will want to use Tech disks and buff your spells first - Else you would have make a hunter or a ranger, am i right?

Why people boost MND on a force is, because if you want to also play on rough attack power, you can also use Units on armor slots, which give stats to your natural stats, just like your MAG do (helps going past the requirements to use disks / or ATP to use a weapon)
But its easier to swap units than re-doing a new MAG.
So if you are a Force, you usually make a MND mag and play with units.
Dont forget theres materials aswell (power mat, Def mat, etc etc) which will push your natural growing too (beware of the cap though).

In the end it all depend of your playstyle, and is entirely up to you, only - the way you enjoy playing.
But options are numerous.

EDIT - Nidra is also Invincibility on the 3 occasions - and reverser on death, so go for it :)
EDIT 2 - Elaborate.

Last edited:
Ok, sI'd like to be able to melee as well as casting techniques so a Nidra with stats like this should be good ?
DEF 5, POW 70, DEX 25, MIND 100
or should i aim for in order to have a bonus on melee and get my techs/MST boosts from mats and God/Heavenly/Minds ?
DEF 5, POW 150, DEX 49, MIND 0

Well as a Force your forte is your technique, and weapons is a side meal (still good on FOmar tho)
I would go for a full Mind Mag
5 DEF - 0 POW - DEX 45 - 150 MND (not sure this match Nidra though)
And then put Power units on your armor, and eat power materials.

Your a Force, and your first valuable source of growing are levelling up, and your MAG.
With low mind your technique will do poor damage, and you wont be able to learn high level disk quickly.
Keep in mind a Force can cast Shifta/Deband to buff your (and team) Attack and defense, and jellen/Zalure to lower it on enemies.
You want high level technique first.

Your second source of growing are units and materials, which will become decent enough in the late game only.

So i would follow your Force destiny and buld it as a force for now, then adjust your build with units/materials.

Ok, so it's best to max mind for now and maybe grow a Nidra later because for a yellowboze Nidra I need DEF+POW=DEX+MIND so I won't be able to get a Nidra and have a full MIND mag at the same time.
Thanks for your help :)

EDIT : For my playstyle I know techs are essentials for a Force but I also want to be able to melee (I'd love to have a Geist Doublesaber for example :p), but since good melee wepons for FORCE are late-game, I should focus on MIND and techs for now in order to be able to support the party and also do some decent damages :)

Last edited:
Well for a good start i would say so yes.

I had to make a dummy Force to make my Sato, so its possible to create a character just to pass the evolution of the MAG you want.

You wil lfind photon drop along your journey, this is the main currency to trade with other players.
Some player DO make and sell Mags, even take orders on custom mag.
You can still buy one later if you dont have time to make a second mag :)

Lot of options, but for a good start i would go as explained above.

Ok thank you :) I'll start looking for a Nidra later when I'm powerfull enough with my techs :)
If mew can ever find you...she can lend u her MIND mag a moment so u can learn mission critical buff and bebuffs early....just be warned that learning too high a tech too fast will Suck your TP faster than a 7Eleven SLURPEE! XD!

Any advice on weapons I should use ? Since I want a little melee i thought that a combo of doublesabers/slicers/partisans would be cool :)

Think Double saber special attack steal TP, which be good for you, very good.

Personally, i cleaned and rushed Normal -> Very hard with insta-kill weapons, like a dim rifle.
A Dim handgun would let you keep a safe distance from mobs and chance to insta kill enemies you struggle to fight = EXP.

Im not knowledgeable enough about force to elaborate on a weapon palette though :)

Back