7th Anniversary Event Thread

Personally the biggest issue I've always had with late game PSO is how absurd the EXP requirements get to continue gaining levels. The biggest appeal of PSO to me has always been watching the numbers go up but that grinds to a halt once you have your MAG built and you start hitting the 140-150 range and only gets worse the deeper in you get. I almost always end up getting bored and starting a new character instead of continuing to grind it out at that point. Not that I'm advocating for any particular changes or anything, I just think it's another case of Sega being Sega when it comes to their thought processes behind the game.

Personally the biggest issue I've always had with late game PSO is how absurd the EXP requirements get to continue gaining levels. The biggest appeal of PSO to me has always been watching the numbers go up but that grinds to a halt once you have your MAG built and you start hitting the 140-150 range and only gets worse the deeper in you get. I almost always end up getting bored and starting a new character instead of continuing to grind it out at that point. Not that I'm advocating for any particular changes or anything, I just think it's another case of Sega being Sega when it comes to their thought processes behind the game.
To be fair PSO doesn't "punish" you as much for not being super high lvl since there's nothing similar to a talent system, at least once you get past those early lvls when you get crit all the **** time :mad:, at most you have slightly lower stats(with ATA being the most relevant?), less traps if you're an android and lower hp, now having a bunch of weapons for each situation is what really makes the difference at mid game and luckily doesn't take that much effort to reach a point where you can run quests comfortably.

I think this is because you may be approaching the game as a level grind - once you get to the 140-150 range, people stop doing this and treat it as an item grind.

When you do that, you get to 200 without realising it.

Personally I don't think the EXP grind is really that punishing either, especially with the big EXP gains in Episode 2 and 4. If you're just spamming TTF however...

Episode 4 eliminates whatever grind PSO used to have in terms of EXP.

Preface: I like the event. I'm easy to please. That being said...

I'm not reading all those other posts because I suck, so. Sorry if someone said it already!

In particular:
Matt said:
And we decided that events that completely overshadow the regular game and encourage people to only play or do certain activities during events are not what we want them to be.

This doesn't work due to the nature of the game and the event. If the event sucks, people aren't going to play it. People will gravitate towards the event if it is fun and/or gives good rewards. It kind of boxes you into a path to mediocrity where you want to run something for a limited time but it doesn't stand out.
But...I'm aware that this isn't black/white since you can easily blow out the economy with an overtuned event even with limited timing.

The anniversary event is practically Ephinea's Maximum Attack series. It requires the most effort for the server and should be the event. The rewards this year seem dry and the elimination of stacked weekly bonuses looks a bit overkill (as-is, dunno the future rewards of this post.) Kill gated kill gate rewards sound odd, but it brings variety and can be used to show off how much you contributed.

Basically, I don't see the harm in trying to mirror Sonic Team's prize structure with your own innovations. To a degree ...still with you on 4x drops being crazy. Maybe rotate the kill gate items to keep it interesting.

Random closings: I do not see the harm in allowing VH kills to count at a 2:1 ratio. That would benefit newer/level alt players. Devious miscreants could run up their kill counters...but they are giving up drops, EXP, and more than likely any fun they have playing to make a meaningful dent in the numbers.

Online games don't have to have a definitive end point. New end game content does require the administrative team to want it, a lot of other people to warm to the idea, and to ignore the people who hate it, though...just thought that was a weird back and forth for what it is. You could probably get a debate going about the jukebox addition with most players.

Yeah level doesn't matter nearly as much as items at the higher levels. Consider items < level below 120, they're both useful from 120 to 180, and after 180, it's all about items. With the right mag, mats, and units you can have most of your important stats near max at around 150 on a lot of characters anyway, so you're not missing that much by not being higher level at that point. Just focus on farming more and not worry too much about level then.

Just want to say as a new-ish player to Ephinea I appreciate what you guys are doing. I was around for the event last year I do seem to remember exp. bonus going up to like 300% or something crazy, and was looking forward to that this year, but that does seem a little over-powered. I think my biggest disappointment is not with the game or anybody else but just the fact that I'm not confident enough to do the HBR stuff and still at 0% bonus. I hear Tower and Seabed are pretty rough and I don't want to drag down peoples' games.

Anyway, once again super grateful to the people that allow this server to exist and continue to maintain it year after year without asking for anything in return :) All the additions to it are perfect and make it feel like a more modern game without going too far. Pretty amazing allowing us to relive our childhood nostalgia, or just enjoy a "new" old game together. I'll try not to take it for granted.

-grahf

Just want to say as a new-ish player to Ephinea I appreciate what you guys are doing. I was around for the event last year I do seem to remember exp. bonus going up to like 300% or something crazy, and was looking forward to that this year, but that does seem a little over-powered. I think my biggest disappointment is not with the game or anybody else but just the fact that I'm not confident enough to do the HBR stuff and still at 0% bonus. I hear Tower and Seabed are pretty rough and I don't want to drag down peoples' games.

Anyway, once again super grateful to the people that allow this server to exist and continue to maintain it year after year without asking for anything in return :) All the additions to it are perfect and make it feel like a more modern game without going too far. Pretty amazing allowing us to relive our childhood nostalgia, or just enjoy a "new" old game together. I'll try not to take it for granted.

-grahf
Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have no HBR points for Tower, Seabed, or CCA because I just get demolished whenever I try them and I feel like I lack any real meaningful gear to contribute much so I don't wanna just leech off other players.

This event is basically worthless because the boosts we are getting are worse than the weekly boosts. The boosts not all being active for the event is just stupid and makes this a waste of time to grind out. But I doubt it will be fixed.

This event is basically worthless because the boosts we are getting are worse than the weekly boosts. The boosts not all being active for the event is just stupid and makes this a waste of time to grind out. But I doubt it will be fixed.
You know the current weekly boost is still active, right? Although Rare Enemy Rate isn't displayed in /partyinfo, the global boosts across the entire server right now are
+20% DAR
+40% + 50% RER
+20% RDR
+40% EXP

You know the current weekly boost is still active, right? Although Rare Enemy Rate isn't displayed in /partyinfo, the global boosts across the entire server right now are
+20% DAR
+40% + 50% RER
+20% RDR
+40% EXP
You do realize that they are not all active at the same time so those boosts are all lower than they normally are. 40% EXP the normal boost is 50% 20% DAR the normal is 25% 40% RER the normal 50% 20% RDR the normal is 25%. You have no argument these are all worst than the normal boosts, if all the boosts were on at the same time it be good but this is worthless.

Last edited:
This is the entire reason it was changed.

The best time to do things should be right now, not at some time in the future. If things we do promote people to sit around and wait for the "best time" to do them, we would rather look at that.

It being EXP first on the weekly is not inetntional and just how it landed.
This makes no sense at all, you basically punish everyone for some dumb thing that doesn't matter. I play at least a few times a week and these are worst than the weekly boosts. This makes the event a complete waste this should be the fun time a year that you get to have all these buffs to help with farming.

You do realize that they are not all active at the same time so those boosts are all lower than they normally are. 40% EXP the normal boost is 50% 20% DAR the normal is 50% 40% RER the normal 50% 20% RDR the normal is 50%. You have no argument these are all worst than the normal boosts, if all the boosts were on at the same time it be good but this is worthless.
Of the normal weekly boosts, only one of those is active at a time. The server currently has one of those active, in addition to +20% DAR, +40% RER, +20% RDR, +40% EXP.

1661058243857.png

Rare enemy rate is not displayed here because of space constraints, but it's at 190%.

Now if you're saying that each of these numbers (excluding the active weekly boost) is weaker than the individual weekly boosts all turned on at the same time (like the start of the last two Anniv events), well yeah. That's kind of the point of the change this year to not give out insane boosts for the first minute of the event. The weekly boost is still active and the milestones add additional boosts on top. It's not weaker than regular play.

The main draw of the event is MAE HBR which is the best hunt for many enemies. Some of the MAE quests are overpowered even for other servers that had virtually no restrictions on what quests they added over the years.

Last edited:
Of the normal weekly boosts, only one of those is active at a time. The server currently has one of those active, in addition to +20% DAR, +40% RER, +20% RDR, +40% EXP.

View attachment 17731

Rare enemy rate is not displayed here because of space constraints, but it's at 190%.

Now if you're saying that each of these numbers (excluding the active weekly boost) is weaker than the individual weekly boosts all turned on at the same time (like the start of the last two Anniv events), well yeah. That's kind of the point of the change this year to not give out insane boosts for the first minute of the event. The weekly boost is still active and the milestones add additional boosts on top. It's not weaker than regular play.

The main draw of the event is MAE HBR which is the best hunt for many enemies. Some of the MAE quests are overpowered even for other servers that had virtually no restrictions on what quests they added over the years.
Ya the boosts are trash they are all below the weekly so you get no benefit farming now it is better during a normal week. The boosts not all being active defeats the whole point of an event it is supposed to be special not worse than normal.

Are you slow, these numbers are below the weekly aka these are worthless you get more boosts from the weekly boosts. You are working for nothing, next time think before you say something.

But they are all active at the same time, making them way more effective than usual.
20 DAR and 20 RDR > 25 DAR.

Also, MA:E quests are stupidly good quests for hunting things.

-We have like 20% extra drop rate from the milestones alone, which is like a casual HBR grind. Its like having a 5th A-ranked player in your team.
-Then we have the weekly boosts themselves. Last week we got an additional 25% on top of 15% that we reached at that point. That's 40%, which is already insane, and would've been 45% is we worked slightly harder.
-The HBR boost adds to it once again. This week we receive an additional average of say, 20% per person (thats me being forgiving too, as it tends to be higher). That's 80% right there, added with the milestone would be 200% DAR constantly.
-MAE is really REALLY fucking good in density-to-time ratio.
-Badges are essentially an extra way to receive PDs and you obtain them relatively quickly.
-Accounting for the DAR which is normally not present in similar circumstances, the RER and RDR boosts combine well into giving the playerbase a nice shower of banners regardless of the nerfs.
-Finally, for those who want to, playing MAE on lower difficulties for the purpose of leveling chars is an absolutely valid strategy.

The event is still ridiculously strong, just not strong enough that it needs to be a balls-hard grind-to-burnout situation, of which I've seen plenty of in past events and especially last year.

Are you slow, these numbers are below the weekly aka these are worthless you get more boosts from the weekly boosts. You are working for nothing, next time think before you say something.

Just echoing what others have said already. Even if you were to remove all milestone boosts. the HBR quest combo alone is an insane boost. If you are playing you'll notice the numerous banner drops everyday and easily 5-10 raw PD per hour.

I mean if that's not enough for you perhaps try another server instead of attacking people on the forums. :)

Back