7th Anniversary Event Thread

I get that we should be grateful to get anything but I still cant help but be disappointed about the weekly boost change.

I had been looking forward to the anniversary for a while now to start a new character or two. It doesn't help that the EXP week is right in the beginning before we get most of the boosts. Maybe EXP is the least important boost to everyone so thats why it was first. Either way I'm curious about why that was changed. At the current rate it looks like the boosts are building back up to the base weekly boost rate with 4 slots left for items or whatever non-boost milestones there are.

Hope I'm wrong though. Maybe the boosts start to pick up or there is an "all weekly boost active" milestone. Then this post can just be an eternal monument to my stupidity, greed, and disturbing lack of faith in you guys.

Love you all either way.
Happy Anniversary and long live Ephinea~

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT: Yep

Actually good. I hated the sphere award. This way it at least entices me to enjoy the content I like to play without having to bust my ass on something I don't as much.

Having fun so far. In the end that's ultimately what counts for me. Thanks.

They could just simply give everyone a sphere, or they could give no spheres at all. Or some middle ground and give us a heart key or 50 gold badges or 50 PDs or something, we don't know, but probably not that last idea. Presumably the last milestone should be something good at least.

I get that we should be grateful to get anything but I still cant help but be disappointed about the weekly boost change.

I had been looking forward to the anniversary for a while now to start a new character or two. It doesn't help that the EXP week is right in the beginning before we get most of the boosts. Maybe EXP is the least important boost to everyone so thats why it was first. Either way I'm curious about why that was changed. At the current rate it looks like the boosts are building back up to the base weekly boost rate with 4 slots left for items or whatever non-boost milestones there are.

Hope I'm wrong though. Maybe the boosts start to pick up or there is an "all weekly boost active" milestone. Then this post can just be an eternal monument to my stupidity, greed, and disturbing lack of faith in you guys.

Love you all either way.
Happy Anniversary and long live Ephinea~

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT: Yep
This is the entire reason it was changed.

The best time to do things should be right now, not at some time in the future. If things we do promote people to sit around and wait for the "best time" to do them, we would rather look at that.

It being EXP first on the weekly is not inetntional and just how it landed.

i have a question about "the thief" in the event badge shop. What are the odds of getting a uncommon and rare reward? I have spent easy over 300 badges on her, gotten one rare reward but i would trade that for something else in her shop if i could

First week is useful for building up exp and hbr points. The rest you can then focus on farming. Every week of this is useful in its own way. Although I wish we'd stop getting just more and more exp boosts as we've almost gotten enough to get 150% exp during the other weeks which almost is enough to obsolete the first week and mean it was still best to wait rather than play during it, it was just better concealed than before as you thought you needed to get your lower level characters to higher levels when the event started.

This is the entire reason it was changed.

The best time to do things should be right now, not at some time in the future. If things we do promote people to sit around and wait for the "best time" to do them, we would rather look at that.

It being EXP first on the weekly is not inetntional and just how it landed.
I hate when my pessimism is correct. I hope you don't take what I'm about to say as overly critical or combative but....
Isn't that the point of doing an event? Something to look forward to. A way to draw in newcomers or existing players who have drifted away for whatever reason. A reward to the faithful players who have stuck around. As it stands now the milestones are all just working towards having all bonuses active anyway. I guess we wind up with double of whatever the last week or two fall on but that leaves people like myself without the double boost we were looking the most forward to.

I'm not sure I see how events are that different than the weekly boost system to begin with. Aren't we all just waiting until whatever "best time" comes around for what we want to do? I guess it encourages changing up what you're doing to keep things fresh but i think the same can be said for the events. A short lived change of pace.

Anyway, I love you, don't be too mad.

Events are whatever we want them to be.

And we decided that events that completely overshadow the regular game and encourage people to only play or do certain activities during events are not what we want them to be.

That's all there is to it.

Events are whatever we want them to be.

And we decided that events that completely overshadow the regular game and encourage people to only play or do certain activities during events are not what we want them to be.

That's all there is to it.

Perhaps the methods for very well-established players to make tangible progress need to be looked at more carefully then; rather than just feeling "permanently stuck" until something major drops once in a blue moon. It makes sense that players who find themselves in that situation are going to play at whatever time gives them the best chance to get "unstuck." But even then, the chances are barely over zero.

So, we either just live with it, and say that, "For people who don't have infinite patience, this will just be the logical endpoint of PSO, and the game dies for them at this point." Or we look at making meaningful changes to EXTREMELY late game progression. (We're talking people who have accumulated millions of kills and billions of total XP here, not just a couple of Lv. 200s.) And in doing so, some people will get upset because "Muh Vanilla." There's no 100% fixing this issue- is what I'm getting at.

I don't know what the right answer is to the problem. I see both sides of it. I hate being stuck but I don't want other people to leave because stupidly high hit % gets made slightly easier to find and that makes purists unhappy (for example).

Last edited:
Ade has a point but that goes on a different tangent, which probably deserves a non event thread.

I think that is just the natural lifespan of a game with no updates. There is a reason mmos are constantly coming out with new areas, enemies, items, etc. At a certain point there just isn’t anything left. PSO offers a lot of possible extension through percentages, but even that has a realistic stopping point where the odds of getting a super-rare with higher hit just aren’t worth the effort anymore.

I like to give flack about the weapon skins but those are actually not bad for extending the life of the game. Another idea could be around challenging the idea of what is a “new enemy”. I don’t know what the back end would support, but a cyclic exploratory mode would be interesting. Add another option to the anguish list. Once a month enemies have their stats (especially resistances) modified, so some popular weapons are weaker and some less used ones are stronger. We could explore the meta for a month then see what the new one brings. Assuming a randomization, some months might be almost unplayable which would still be okay! (Okay that’s my dumb brain-bug for the month, pay no mind)

As a non-endgame player, seeing events and hbr nerfed (and even modsecid) hurts because all of the current end game players had that and now the ladder has been kicked down. I know it doesn’t amount to much in the grand scheme, but it also sucks knowing that reaching end game is now harder than ever.

I’m happy we have the event at all, and I’m super grateful for the hard work everyone has put in to making this possible, but it also stings a little bit that some of that hard work has gone towards making the event less than years before.

I don’t have my finger on the pulse of the server, so I can’t look at it and say “you’re wrong”. Y’all probably made the right call. Still stings a bit.

Regardless of complaints, much thanks to management for giving us an event at all. I’ve had fun with all of the rare dings, and it has been nice spending badges buying frivolous junk to fill out a completionism streak. I need to raise some alternate section ids for next year…

Reactions: Ade
Ade has a point but that goes on a different tangent, which probably deserves a non event thread.

I think that is just the natural lifespan of a game with no updates. There is a reason mmos are constantly coming out with new areas, enemies, items, etc. At a certain point there just isn’t anything left. PSO offers a lot of possible extension through percentages, but even that has a realistic stopping point where the odds of getting a super-rare with higher hit just aren’t worth the effort anymore.

I like to give flack about the weapon skins but those are actually not bad for extending the life of the game. Another idea could be around challenging the idea of what is a “new enemy”. I don’t know what the back end would support, but a cyclic exploratory mode would be interesting. Add another option to the anguish list. Once a month enemies have their stats (especially resistances) modified, so some popular weapons are weaker and some less used ones are stronger. We could explore the meta for a month then see what the new one brings. Assuming a randomization, some months might be almost unplayable which would still be okay! (Okay that’s my dumb brain-bug for the month, pay no mind)

As a non-endgame player, seeing events and hbr nerfed (and even modsecid) hurts because all of the current end game players had that and now the ladder has been kicked down. I know it doesn’t amount to much in the grand scheme, but it also sucks knowing that reaching end game is now harder than ever.

I’m happy we have the event at all, and I’m super grateful for the hard work everyone has put in to making this possible, but it also stings a little bit that some of that hard work has gone towards making the event less than years before.

I don’t have my finger on the pulse of the server, so I can’t look at it and say “you’re wrong”. Y’all probably made the right call. Still stings a bit.

Regardless of complaints, much thanks to management for giving us an event at all. I’ve had fun with all of the rare dings, and it has been nice spending badges buying frivolous junk to fill out a completionism streak. I need to raise some alternate section ids for next year…

Indeed. I'm having an absolute BLAST this event.

And I do contend my post is on topic because it was in response to Matt saying, "If people are always waiting for the right time to play," and was illustrating that events are often seen as that for people who are "stuck." So it was at least...perpendicular...to the event topic. All of your thoughts are appreciated.

Perhaps the methods for very well-established players to make tangible progress need to be looked at more carefully then; rather than just feeling "permanently stuck" until something major drops once in a blue moon. It makes sense that players who find themselves in that situation are going to play at whatever time gives them the best chance to get "unstuck." But even then, the chances are barely over zero.

So, we either just live with it, and say that, "For people who don't have infinite patience, this will just be the logical endpoint of PSO, and the game dies for them at this point." Or we look at making meaningful changes to EXTREMELY late game progression. (We're talking people who have accumulated millions of kills and billions of total XP here, not just a couple of Lv. 200s.) And in doing so, some people will get upset because "Muh Vanilla." There's no 100% fixing this issue- is what I'm getting at.

I don't know what the right answer is to the problem. I see both sides of it. I hate being stuck but I don't want other people to leave because stupidly high hit % gets made slightly easier to find and that makes purists unhappy (for example).
This isn't a problem, if you feel like you're stuck/done with PSO, maybe it's time to stop playing instead of expecting the game to change for you.

There aren't going to be changes to make "endgame progression" any faster.

People leaving/quitting a game isn't the negative thing you make it out to be. Games will end at some point and that's just how it is.

I think it's more of it hurts that endgame progression has actually slowed down compared to what it was in old events, not just that it's not sped up.

This isn't a problem, if you feel like you're stuck/done with PSO, maybe it's time to stop playing instead of expecting the game to change for you.

There aren't going to be changes to make "endgame progression" any faster.

People leaving/quitting a game isn't the negative thing you make it out to be. Games will end at some point and that's just how it is.

You have every right to say the server won't change or speed up endgame progression. (Miku is correct in that it was technically slowed down, though.)

However, neither you nor anyone else gets to define what a problem is for an individual player. If you meant "this isn't a problem for the server," then sure. But if you mean, "This isn't a problem for YOU, Ade," then I disagree. It is a problem.

It's a problem because no other ARPGs exist that possess both the 100% free economy AND combat system of PSO. Diablo 2 might have a free economy (you can literally drop your best item on the ground and someone else can pick it up), but it has a very simplistic combat system. PSO2 might have a great combat system, but it heavily restricts which items can be traded / sold once they've been modified. And TONS of ARPGs have combat systems that only allow you to select ONE weapon at the start of the mission, and don't have the cool quick-menu swapping that PSO does. (Like Monster Hunter.)

PSO was lightning in a bottle. Game developers have realized there's way too much money to be made by incrementally sucking all the fun out of their games and pay-walling everything, so nothing like PSO will ever exist again. I am 100% certain of this. So I just want the experience to go on as long as possible. This is an actual, real problem that I've clearly given a lot of thought.

I agree with a lot of what Ade says there. I hate the games that restrict the trading of so many items. I don't see why it's a problem to be able to buy/sell/trade your really good items as long as you get something of similar value in return. I don't really think it makes any game better by restricting such things.

And games like PSO2 drive me crazy because you can tell the real main root cause that led to almost every single feature in the game was how to try to make as much money as possible. In PSO1 it seems much more like that everything was intended to create a fun and dynamic gameplay setting where there were many different situations where there was a different best thing to do, encouraging the largest amount of item collecting, skill, and coordination that they could possibly sneak into everything. Even if the games appear to play similarly, the actually concepts behind everything are far different and that makes a big difference to me.

Although I did enjoy PSO2 for a good while as I was able to get a Miku outfit and the Miku hair 2 and everyone complimented how me and my hair looked all the time, and I got some good weapons and armor and other stuff, too. But like, at the end of the day, it just seemed like it was missing the magic that really makes PSO1 great and that gives PSO1 the real staying power to not fade into mediocrity.

Main difference with me and Ade is I still hope they make another game like PSO and just charge enough of a price up front to make it worth it. Problem is it is very unlikely to happen with the current economics research. You know why a matinee costs less? Because there's a lower opportunity cost for those that can spare time during the day to go see a movie. Now what is this an example of? Well, a company can make the most money possible with perfect price discrimination. As in, charge each person the absolute most they're willing to pay, and yet still serve everyone. Because of this concept, way too many games nowadays have been geared towards trying to get each individual person to spend as much as they're willing to on everything. So the flat price thing is the exact opposite of what their research would say would make them the most money, but a flat price to just buy a game once and never have to pay again is by far what I prefer. Those other games I just manipulate the marketplace to get everything I want by flipping all the undercost stuff and then buying the stuff I want anyway. I never pay on any games other than the price to buy the game. Although I'm very proud of that, it also really becomes not my cup of tea when I find that the fastest way to get stronger in a game is to not even play it at all and just flip items constantly. And there is some of that in PSO1 it still seems most of the very best stuff people never trade or sell so you have to try to get it yourself so it only can get you so far. In games like PSO2 it was a huge part of how I played the game.

You have every right to say the server won't change or speed up endgame progression. (Miku is correct in that it was technically slowed down, though.)

However, neither you nor anyone else gets to define what a problem is for an individual player. If you meant "this isn't a problem for the server," then sure. But if you mean, "This isn't a problem for YOU, Ade," then I disagree. It is a problem.

It's a problem because no other ARPGs exist that possess both the 100% free economy AND combat system of PSO. Diablo 2 might have a free economy (you can literally drop your best item on the ground and someone else can pick it up), but it has a very simplistic combat system. PSO2 might have a great combat system, but it heavily restricts which items can be traded / sold once they've been modified. And TONS of ARPGs have combat systems that only allow you to select ONE weapon at the start of the mission, and don't have the cool quick-menu swapping that PSO does. (Like Monster Hunter.)

PSO was lightning in a bottle. Game developers have realized there's way too much money to be made by incrementally sucking all the fun out of their games and pay-walling everything, so nothing like PSO will ever exist again. I am 100% certain of this. So I just want the experience to go on as long as possible. This is an actual, real problem that I've clearly given a lot of thought.
Waffle.

You are projecting what you want the game to be and what you feel are issues with the game onto what you think Ephinea should be, not what it is.

Ephinea is here to provide PSOBB for people to play, not your fantasy game. If you're bored or frustrated with the game, quit.

Waffle.

You are projecting what you want the game to be and what you feel are issues with the game onto what you think Ephinea should be, not what it is.

Ephinea is here to provide PSOBB for people to play, not your fantasy game. If you're bored or frustrated with the game, quit.

I'm assuming "waffle" is not a British term of endearment. Anyway...

You are correct in that the issue of "other ARPGs suck" is not a PSOBB issue. I was just trying to explain why it's scary when the appeal of PSO starts to run out of steam; there's nowhere else to go that's even remotely as enjoyable. Nerfing the potency of events means one less tool in the toolbelt for solving this, but it's not the end of the world. It also seems to be something you aren't interested in discussing without condescension, so I will bow out of the thread.

Last edited:
Witnessing the (horrible) droughts that events created in the past, honestly I like the approach. But me aside, the multiple POVs I've heard from around town it seems pretty clear that the ultimate thing to conclude is that there's really nothing to conclude. There's a set people who really like this approach, a set people who don't, and a set people who don't really care.

Back