PSOBB Addon Plugin (Lua UI addons)

How are you running psobb "on a mac?" Are you running it through some virtualization software inside OSX or are you running it through Windows that's running inside a VM/bootcamp or similar?

If you're running through some virtualization software, then I have no idea if you can force the loader to inject the dinput8.dll from bbmod. You would have to consult with the documentation for that virtualization or find someone else who has managed to get this working on OSX.

But you say you don't see the addonlist when you press the tilde key. This sounds to me like your dinput8.dll isn't being loaded, because if it *was* being loaded correctly, then either you would be seeing the addon list or your client would be crashing immediately (cannot find init.lua or similar) if you installed the addons incorrectly.

Also you should fix your images in your previous post so we can see them, just to verify the directory structure. I'm not sure how you uploaded them, but I've never had a problem with using the "Upload a File" feature when posting and then inserting the image as a full image.
@Ender (and @Soly so he can see the images below as well)

I'm running POSBB through Wine as dictated in this thread.

If anyone has gotten ANY of the addons to work on a Mac, then PLEASE reply here or PM me.

I followed directions 1-4 of VilleHIM's installation guide in this post.

Below are the images again using the "Upload File" Option. The 1st is the shot of the Redistributable files in my PSOBB directory. The 2nd is a screenshot of me in a party with no addons in sight.

Attachments

• Redist.png
    Redist.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 1.48.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 1.48.23 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
i think you need to set winecfg to use the native version of dinput8.dll when running pso. i gave up on trying to make it work yesterday because i couldn't get pso to work correctly - i think it's because i'm stuck with an old version of wine - but i did get it to work one time, on another computer. i think that one was running artix...

Last edited:
i was thinking about adding beat time to my addon - i'll put it on my to-do list. :) i like the idea of having a simple way of displaying the status of things that depend on beat time, as well as the option to just show the beat time.

Has anyone suggested a minimap plugin? It's so cumbersome to open the UI just to get a full map. Sometimes I can be directionally challenged.

i would love to have something like that, but i'm not sure if this addon framework could manage it.

I'm sooo close to getting this working... Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? I believe I've followed the .readme to a T.

5.JPG 2.JPG 1.JPG 5.JPG 2.JPG

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 8
More info: running windows 10, running the program as an admin, in comparability mode (sevice pack 2) have C++ 2015 redistribute installed, have the whole ephina folder added as an exception in defender, have the dinput8.dll & the addons folder in the PSO folder...

I'm tryin so hard to do the things I swear u.u

I just found a cookie that I'd have totally missed if not for your help, thank you again kind sir!

i have bbmod working in linux, running pso in wine!

i'm running artix linux. i installed wine through the package manager, but there's a bunch of versions of wine available - the first one i tried seemed to work with pso, but not bbmod. after that, i tried wine-stable - this is from the arch user repository, which meant that the package manager had to compile it from source, and it took 6 or 7 hours to do that...but i think most linux distros have a wine-stable package that can be installed more easily and quickly. (i know nothing about apple computers)

i also installed winetricks, because the vc++ 2015 redistributable is needed for bbmod, and dotnet > 4.0 (or mono?) is needed for changing pso graphics options.

install pso in wine just as you would install any application in wine - it might ask you about installing mono, but i couldn't get that to actually work. that's why i installed dotnet. next, find the pso program folder (for me, it was buried in '.wine' in my home folder) and install bbmod as normal.

finally, you need to tell wine to load bbmod. open winecfg, and on the applications tab, click 'add application', find and choose psobb.exe. then, on the 'libraries' tab, select 'dinput8' from the drop-down box, click 'add', and make sure 'native' is before 'builtin' - this will make wine load the dinput8.dll file that's part of bbmod, instead of a file with the same name that's built in to wine.

(unfortunately, my computer seems to be too slow to run pso through wine well at all, so i'll probably go back to dual-booting windows)

Is there a plugin besides the item reader that's good for keeping track of mag feedings? The item reader plugin makes my game lag like crazy.

Have you tried using only the "Mags" window?

This might not help much as all items are parsed but they are not processed for display if you use the that specific window (instead of AIO).

The only thing I can think of, is to add a way to reduce the times the addon retrieves the data (ie, could do every second)... but it might still cause lag spikes every time it updates (that is, if the issue is when the addon retrieves the item data, which it does every time it presents, atm).

I've tried that, and it's definitely better than with the other pieces turned on, but it's still a very noticeable hit to the speed that the game runs. It seems like the longer it runs the worse it gets, which makes me think some kind of memory leak issue. I don't expect anyone to really look into it since I'm running on linux so it could be all kinds of things contributing to the issue. I'm running on a laptop, but it's got 16GB of ram and an i7. I'm also running in discrete graphics mode.

Edit: It also gets worse as more people get added to the game as well. The thing I most want it for is the keeping track of mags, but it doesn't look like there's a plugin that only does the mag portion of your plugin.

Last edited:
If you could confirm that there is actually a memory leak, I mean, this should show in the task manager or whatever, after quite some time running.
I'd suggest to let it run for a bit in an area (lobby for example, probably find one that is empty), so different textures don't affect the amount of memory the game uses.

I might look into this from windows, since we can debug and snapshot the library.

Also, I'll look into lowering the update rate for the item list to 1 second instead of every frame... this should definitely help although I don't know how much.

I've been idling in pioneer 2 all day with it and not experienced issues. Memory usage hasn't budged the whole time either. Seems to only happen inside the actual stages. Next step I suppose would be to go turn it on at a point where I know it will lag and see if memory usage changes.

Edit: just cleared all of forest 1 and definitely got noticeable slowdown with not picking items up, but only for when I had the floor window enabled. Didn't really see much slowdown for just mag window was enabled. Did not see a noticeable difference in ram usage with the plugin enabled either, so I think that rules out a memory leak.

The slowdown I've experienced with just the mag window enabled has only really happened when playing with other people. I'll take a look at that next time I'm playing in a group and see if I can see any noticeable difference there. I think you might be right about it being something to do with how often it is looking at the data. Maybe something in WINE is making it behave differently in a performance significant way.

Edit again: Not sure if it would be helpful, but here's some gameplay footage: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/545995200

Last edited:
At least the gameplay does demonstrate a serious slow down...

I'll let you know when I get something going to reduce the update rate.

Do you get the same slowdown with only the Monster Reader enabled? A good quest to test it would be Tyrell's Ego in Episode 1 under VR. Clear a wave or two in each room to open the exit and then go into the next room, leaving behind alive monsters. Just check every room in Forest 2 and then check the performance.

I wonder if it's an issue with how wine emulated ReadProcessMemory()... A good test would be
  1. Grab my Global Flags Reader (from this post in this thread).
  2. Modify the default options.lua to enable all of the globalFlags (change "enable = false" to "enable = true" for each element in the globalFlags array).
  3. Copy and paste the elements in the globalFlags array to create a large number of them. This means copying lines 16 to 92 inclusive and pasting that a few times.
  4. See if running psobb with only this addon enabled causes performance issues for you.
This addon does very little actual work excluding the memory reads. It doesn't allocate/free much memory per frame so it can rule out some culprits from the Item Reader.

If you experience the slowdown from this test, then it's probably an issue with wine's emulation of ReadProcessMemory() and there is at least something to try by changing the base plugin to directly dereference the memory directly instead of doing ReadProcessMemory(GetCurrentProcess()) for every single read into the psobb address space.

Back