What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dab, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Alakaboom

Alakaboom Guest

2. Bonesy

Bonesy it me

Guildcard:
    The Dwarves by Markus Heitz

3. Vhaman

Vhaman The Experienced Newbie

Canto Bight, a new canon Star wars novella compilation. I'm kinda obsessed with the new canon.

4. Miho

Miho Long Days & Pleasant Nights.

Guildcard:
    Henderson: The Rain King.

[​IMG]

Only began yesterday evening, but best I can tell it's about a immensely shitty person that came out ahead in life - rich from inheritance, a large estate, a high-society wife, multitudes of children, but feels unfulfilled, so he goes to Africa in search of adventure and fulfillment, and persistently fucks up everything he does.

Also it inspired This Song, which is how I initially learned of the novel.

Nyte and anime like this.
  5. anime

anime Bonsai Trees Staff Member

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
    Tao Lin is an edgy young author with a distinct style. He has the candor and awareness of Virginia Woolf, but his writing is as degenerate as Hunter S. Thompson.
    His books include sick quotes like:

"On the fourth-story roof Paul said he wanted to run “really fast in a circle,” vaguely aware and mostly unconcerned, though he knew he didn’t want to die—less because he had an urge to live than because dying, like knitting or backgammon, seemed irrelevant to his life—that due to alcohol and Klonopin, in a moment of inattention, he could easily walk off the building."
     - Taipei

“Everyone is folding boxes. Andrew is folding boxes. If the entire job were to fold boxes people would scream. They would fold, and sometimes scream, existentially, then be dragged into a field and beaten into a paste. Sometimes there would be a killing rampage.”
     - Eeeee, Eee, Eeee

“loneliness can fly a helicopter through a cut-out shape
    of a helicopter the same size as the helicopter
    and that's it's only skill
    and it isn't good enough
    but it's still amazing.”
     - this emotion was a little e-book

I recommend reading his most recent novel, Taipei, first. It's a lot more accessible and less absurdist than his other work.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    spaceBORT likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Fastest Typist Alive Staff Member

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
    East of Eden, by John Steinbeck.

It's really heavy on comfy imagery (the book opens with a seven-page description of a valley), so avoid it if that's not your kind of thing. That aside, the way characters are built up into their interactions is great. The first part of the novel is composed of three completely separate stories about three characters who come to know each other later on, and each story is wonderfully detailed and fleshed out.

Where Steinbeck's characterization really shines, though, is how he writes a character who's best described as just... evil. I won't spoil who it is, but it's by far the most well-done depiction of pure evil I've seen in any work of fiction. I think this kind of thing works best in a novel, because I can't imagine any adaptation of East of Eden doing it justice. None of the attempts have, so far.

10/10, regardless of what @anime tells you.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Miho and anime like this.
  7. NDW

NDW 03:US/Fodra:02-11

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
    [​IMG]

Dab, Miho and anime like this.
  8. Bagarozy

Bagarozy Brechstange DEluxe

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
    Is that the Schrankbird o-o'
    Schrankbird 2: Return of the Schrankbird is also a good read but I liked the movie better obviously.

anime and NDW like this.
  9. NDW

NDW 03:US/Fodra:02-11

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
  10. 16085k

16085k Member

Just finished the first chapter of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson's Chicken Soup for the Incel Soul

ToasterMage likes this.
  11. Noodl

Noodl I build space

Guildcard:
    Just finished the throne of glass series (pretty decent imo) Still waiting for the final book to come out, would recommend.
    Also I would recommend the book "The Alchemist" if you haven't already read it. Short read (~120 pages I think?) but really insightful.

12. anime

anime Bonsai Trees Staff Member

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
    [​IMG]
    Summary from Wikipedia
    WOW RLY GOOD 1, I love the brand of sci-fi this guy writes
    sorry for necro
    what are people reading atm?

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  13. EvilUpholsterer

EvilUpholsterer No More Government Subsidies For Active Basses

Guildcard:
    I am reading an Australian novel called 'Jasper Jones'. It's a Crime / Mystery / Coming of Age type book and is quite well done in my opinion. I've watched the movie before and am eager to see exactly how the two compare on a whole. Although I am not too far into the book currently, I can honestly it's a good read. Although I perhaps am not one for the genre(s) exclusively, I would say it's very bearable for someone who is new to this style of writing and above all is a nice easy read.

Miho and anime like this.
  14. Miho

Miho Long Days & Pleasant Nights.

Guildcard:
    I watched 2019's Colour Out of Space last weekend - amazing fantastic film for a movie that stars Nicholas Cage and Tommy Chong - and it has me on an HP Lovecraft Binge. Quite frankly I'm amazed it took me this long to start.

I've not read as much as I used to, and Lovecraft's style is . . . impenetrable, so it's slow going, but I'm plodding forward, and feel it has been thus far worth the effort.
    I especially have enjoyed The Statement of Randolph Carter, and The Music of Erich Zann

Also watch this film, it's fucking great.

LUSxWva.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    EvilUpholsterer likes this.
  15. EvilUpholsterer

EvilUpholsterer No More Government Subsidies For Active Basses

Guildcard:
    Read a few reviews and a quick synopsis; that certainly seems like an out there story! Very unique, perhaps not in its themes, but it sounds like it has been done in a way that would be intriguing to watch. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that one!

16. Jessica

Jessica Member

Currently reading War of Mist by Helen Scheuerer(3rd and final book of a series)

Reminds of me of the Throne of Glass series tho I find it lacking in romance.

17. redria7

redria7 Member

"Book"

Among the variety of stories I'm following on the site, here are 3 excellent stories:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/16946/azarinth-healer

The first chunk of chapters is a bit slow before she leaves her starting area and joins the world at large, but the rest of the story is top notch.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/11209/the-legend-of-randidly-ghosthound

Another excellent long story.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/10073/the-wandering-inn

A story of sufficient length to make Worm feel like light reading. Absolutely excellent characters and story, just the best.

Nyte likes this.
  18. Nyte

Nyte Booma-Rang!

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
    They're comparing wandering in to the wheel of time on that site. I might have to check it out.