What book are you reading?

Canto Bight, a new canon Star wars novella compilation. I'm kinda obsessed with the new canon.

Tao Lin is an edgy young author with a distinct style. He has the candor and awareness of Virginia Woolf, but his writing is as degenerate as Hunter S. Thompson.
His books include sick quotes like:

"On the fourth-story roof Paul said he wanted to run “really fast in a circle,” vaguely aware and mostly unconcerned, though he knew he didn’t want to die—less because he had an urge to live than because dying, like knitting or backgammon, seemed irrelevant to his life—that due to alcohol and Klonopin, in a moment of inattention, he could easily walk off the building."
 - Taipei

“Everyone is folding boxes. Andrew is folding boxes. If the entire job were to fold boxes people would scream. They would fold, and sometimes scream, existentially, then be dragged into a field and beaten into a paste. Sometimes there would be a killing rampage.”
 - Eeeee, Eee, Eeee

“loneliness can fly a helicopter through a cut-out shape
of a helicopter the same size as the helicopter
and that's it's only skill
and it isn't good enough
but it's still amazing.”
 - this emotion was a little e-book

I recommend reading his most recent novel, Taipei, first. It's a lot more accessible and less absurdist than his other work.

Last edited:
East of Eden, by John Steinbeck.

It's really heavy on comfy imagery (the book opens with a seven-page description of a valley), so avoid it if that's not your kind of thing. That aside, the way characters are built up into their interactions is great. The first part of the novel is composed of three completely separate stories about three characters who come to know each other later on, and each story is wonderfully detailed and fleshed out.

Where Steinbeck's characterization really shines, though, is how he writes a character who's best described as just... evil. I won't spoil who it is, but it's by far the most well-done depiction of pure evil I've seen in any work of fiction. I think this kind of thing works best in a novel, because I can't imagine any adaptation of East of Eden doing it justice. None of the attempts have, so far.

10/10, regardless of what @anime tells you.

Last edited:
2120552435644849763Faccount_id3D1.jpg

Is that the Schrankbird o-o'
Schrankbird 2: Return of the Schrankbird is also a good read but I liked the movie better obviously.

Just finished the throne of glass series (pretty decent imo) Still waiting for the final book to come out, would recommend.
Also I would recommend the book "The Alchemist" if you haven't already read it. Short read (~120 pages I think?) but really insightful.

jV5Lf4H.png

Summary from Wikipedia
The Scar opens with the journey of a small ship which has set out from the city New Crobuzon (the setting of Perdido Street Station). It is heading to the city's new colony, Nova Esperium, which lies across the Swollen Ocean of Bas-Lag. On board the ship are:
  • Bellis Coldwine, a cold, reserved linguist who is fleeing for her life for her alleged connection to the events in Perdido Street Station.
  • Johannes Tearfly, a scientist whose interests lie in megafauna and underwater sealife.
  • Tanner Sack, a Remade criminal (that is, he has had his body surgically and magically altered as punishment for his crime) who is bound for slavery.
  • Shekel, a young cabin boy who befriends Tanner.
Before the ship reaches Nova Esperium, it is captured by pirates, and the passengers, crew and prisoners are all press-ganged into being citizens of Armada, a floating city made of thousands of ships. Tanner uses his newfound freedom to embrace his remaking. He has his body further remade and the earlier, rough work perfected, becoming an amphibious sea-creature. Treated now as an equal citizen rather than a prisoner or slave, Tanner's loyalties fiercely lie in Armada.
WOW RLY GOOD 1, I love the brand of sci-fi this guy writes
sorry for necro
what are people reading atm?

Last edited:
I am reading an Australian novel called 'Jasper Jones'. It's a Crime / Mystery / Coming of Age type book and is quite well done in my opinion. I've watched the movie before and am eager to see exactly how the two compare on a whole. Although I am not too far into the book currently, I can honestly it's a good read. Although I perhaps am not one for the genre(s) exclusively, I would say it's very bearable for someone who is new to this style of writing and above all is a nice easy read.

Read a few reviews and a quick synopsis; that certainly seems like an out there story! Very unique, perhaps not in its themes, but it sounds like it has been done in a way that would be intriguing to watch. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that one!

Currently reading War of Mist by Helen Scheuerer(3rd and final book of a series)

Reminds of me of the Throne of Glass series tho I find it lacking in romance.

"Book"

Among the variety of stories I'm following on the site, here are 3 excellent stories:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/16946/azarinth-healer

The first chunk of chapters is a bit slow before she leaves her starting area and joins the world at large, but the rest of the story is top notch.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/11209/the-legend-of-randidly-ghosthound

Another excellent long story.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/10073/the-wandering-inn

A story of sufficient length to make Worm feel like light reading. Absolutely excellent characters and story, just the best.

They're comparing wandering in to the wheel of time on that site. I might have to check it out.

Back