What are you listening to?

Witch House - my favourite genre of the year. Something finally toppled Synthwave/New Retro Wave for me

Ed

@raggamuffin

If your ready, I got every genre you need. In particular the one you just found out about WitchHouse/Dark Wave (Sometimes considered Dark Synthwave or Horror Wave). Been listening to witchhouse since 2014.
Quick history lesson. Witch house derived from 36 Mafia (horror core rap/hip hop) and of course electronic music. (A little bit of synthwave too kinda.) The group Salem are considered the "god fathers" of witchhouse. A few people such as Crystal Castles, Crim3s, Ritualz(s) aka †‡† and Purity Ring all popular witchhouse dabblers. My personal favorite artists are Bl▲ck ‡ Ceiling, VIELS, Nullse† (soundcloud artist), Gvcci Hvcci and CVL† SH‡† aka XXYXX. There is a youtube channel called Nightmares and 808s if your interested in ONLY Witchouse music.

Black ceiling- Wvlf Life

Last edited:
Thanking you. Yeah i've been listening to it for a few years myself but the collection only really took off a few months back when i started to seriously collect more of it. I download music en masse and wind up with backlogs of tens of thousands of songs.

I promised myself I'd work through the 30,000 songs I'd yet to listen to or rate before getting anymore. I made a decent dent in it the past 8 or 9 months or so whitling it down to just over 21,000 songs. But then I caved in yesterday and downloaded 87 vaporwave albums (not the best genre but I found a bandcamp record label where all their downloads were free) and about 20-30 witch house artists discographies from various Bandcamp and Soundcloud sources. Along with some old timer classic discogs like Sabbath, Dio, Goldfrapp, Hooverphonic and Oasis.

I then told myself to stop as I'd only crossed off a few artists on my list of new music to collect and I didn't want to work my way down any further on the list of 500+ artists I want to collect. It's silly that within the space of 3 hours I set myself back to song names beginning with numbers/symbols. I tend to work through my music library with songs alphabetically. I used to just go through one artist at a time but I found it got tedious. It's a lot nicer to go through lots of genres rather than lots of artists.

Problem I find is that collecting music is addictive. My process is - find someone I like. Go on Last FM and take note of the first 3 pages of similar artists. The I go and download their discographies. Before you know it you've usually wound up with thousands of songs. Not sure why but streaming music isn't appealing to me. I stopped using Spotify in the early years after they removed the option to buy/download songs.

Sometimes I think there's too many genres and sub genres in the world. My media library currently counts nearly 600 which to my mind just seems utterly ridiculous. Then again, Glenn McDonald counted over 1,200 musical genres in existence. Utterly mind boggling.

Only issue I have with Witch House is converting URLs and downloading 1 song at a time on Soundcloud is a total ball ache. A lot of artists have free albums on Bandcamp which is nice. But if I wanted to buy all the music I'd like to collect I'd simply have no money to live.

Ed

Last edited:
What do you mean? Vaporwave is definitely one of the best genres and there quite a few great labels (and artists in general) on Bandcamp that offer their music for free.

(But what do I know, I'm a trashpanda.)

Each to their own. I appreciate some artists but I find the genre more of a novelty than one of my favourites.

Ed

Thanking you. Yeah i've been listening to it for a few years myself but the collection only really took off a few months back when i started to seriously collect more of it. I download music en masse and wind up with backlogs of tens of thousands of songs.

I promised myself I'd work through the 30,000 songs I'd yet to listen to or rate before getting anymore. I made a decent dent in it the past 8 or 9 months or so whitling it down to just over 21,000 songs. But then I caved in yesterday and downloaded 87 vaporwave albums (not the best genre but I found a bandcamp record label where all their downloads were free) and about 20-30 witch house artists discographies from various Bandcamp and Soundcloud sources. Along with some old timer classic discogs like Sabbath, Dio, Goldfrapp, Hooverphonic and Oasis.

I then told myself to stop as I'd only crossed off a few artists on my list of new music to collect and I didn't want to work my way down any further on the list of 500+ artists I want to collect. It's silly that within the space of 3 hours I set myself back to song names beginning with numbers/symbols. I tend to work through my music library with songs alphabetically. I used to just go through one artist at a time but I found it got tedious. It's a lot nicer to go through lots of genres rather than lots of artists.

Problem I find is that collecting music is addictive. My process is - find someone I like. Go on Last FM and take note of the first 3 pages of similar artists. The I go and download their discographies. Before you know it you've usually wound up with thousands of songs. Not sure why but streaming music isn't appealing to me. I stopped using Spotify in the early years after they removed the option to buy/download songs.

Sometimes I think there's too many genres and sub genres in the world. My media library currently counts nearly 600 which to my mind just seems utterly ridiculous. Then again, Glenn McDonald counted over 1,200 musical genres in existence. Utterly mind boggling.

Only issue I have with Witch House is converting URLs and downloading 1 song at a time on Soundcloud is a total ball ache. A lot of artists have free albums on Bandcamp which is nice. But if I wanted to buy all the music I'd like to collect I'd simply have no money to live.

Ed

I go even deeper. Ambient, tribal music, minimal, classical, etc. I listen to it all. I found a wiki page with about 1200 different base genres and idk how many sub genres (probably 60,000 idk)I'll link it if I ever find it again.

My laptop is filled and my 500GB external hard drive is half filled.

Edit: FOUND IT! And Ive only covered 1/10 of this page musically. I fuckin love music.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by even deeper, I listen to those genres too. It's always good to have a broad appreciation for music - but it's not a competition

Ed

Not sure what you mean by even deeper, I listen to those genres too. It's always good to have a broad appreciation for music - but it's not a competition

Ed

Click on that link. You'll see what I mean. Not being competitive just giving you what was given to me. Passing on the joy of music.

Each to their own. I appreciate some artists but I find the genre more of a novelty than one of my favourites.

Ed

Fair enough, I listen to so many genres it's very difficult to say I have a favourite.
More like different sounds for different moods.

Back