Videogaming Esports in the Olympic Games?

Should Esports Become an Olympics Sport?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No.

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

Omerion

Banned
Guildcard
Yeah, I heard the news that videogaming as in esports is going to an Olympics event in 2024. So gaming is considered a sport in the future. So I doubt this was going to happen, but if it did, it's pretty cool.

This random guy took a photo of this while watching the news:
bruh.PNG

More interesting than half the sports in the Olympics. (Curdling in the Olympics?)

That being said, video game culture is going to get even more toxic, and "serious." I'm well aware I've never been good, at any game I can think of, for that level of dedication to a single craft.

2024 just got real.

It would be cool if the Olympic games became a place where any competitive game/event could be hosted, with the participants being of the highest level in their respective game/event/community.

I would be fine with a completely separate event for non-athletic stuff though as I'm not sure video games really fit the spirit of the event, and we shouldn't force it to become something that it isn't.

Not saying Esports professionals aren't "athletes" or are inferior to "actual athletes." But you wouldn't take an abstract art exhibition to a comic-con and demand they represent all forms of visual expression. Same deal here, i think. Different tastes, different place.

No. Video games shouldn't be an Olympic sport. Should they be considered sports? Yes, but not an Olympic sport.

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill

It would be like having chess at the olympics, no one denies the value of chess but no one considers it a sport. It should be the same for videogames.

It would be like having chess at the olympics, no one denies the value of chess but no one considers it a sport. It should be the same for videogames.

Checkmate discussion point probably.

I want to know what games/categories/skills/time attacks/PvP...I mean, it's really a blanket term to be the "best" at video games.

I consider Chess a sport. Like Poker. A sport to me is a competitive game. It doesn't have to be physical. Should Chess and Poker be in the Olympics? No. The Olympics began as a series of physical sports and I think it's important to keep it that way. There's plenty of competition and tournaments for stuff like Chess and video games. The Olympic games is where physical athletes, who've trained for years, come together to display their skill and represent their country.

There's plenty of stupid shit added to the Olympics though. Curling? Skiing? Figure skating? They are still sports don't get me wrong but I believe the classic sports should remain in the Olympic games like track & field, boxing, wrestling, swimming etc.

Pro gamers sacrifice a lot to become professional. There is no denying them the title athlete. Perhaps not physical athlete but they certainly put in the hours to master their art.

Weirdly enough, even the ancient Olympic games were not purely athletic-based: there was a herald and trumpet contest introduced relatively late on.

That said, I do agree with Scoob. Chess doesn't belong at the Olympics and neither do video games.

I consider chess a sport, but only because I played it competitively looool. Wouldn't have it in the Olympics though, just like video games shouldn't be in the Olympics. Are "E-Sports" sports? I consider them to be, but they have no place in the Olympics.

Back