User name Nagger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrade

Since Matt likes to leave snarky replies then lock threads let me explain lol. The entire issue is the username and meanwhile Matt keeps asking for some kind of proof... I really don't know how to make that any plainer lol. Gosh darn those POC and their entitlement, asking people to not use a username one letter off of the N word :wacko:.

That's the thing though. It's not like his username is actually the "n" word. If you had proof he was using it to be one letter off and be offensive, I'm sure he'd do something about it. You're blowing this way out of proportion. Don't let one person's name ruin your experience.

Stop trying to virtue signal, lol. You have to provide proof he's doing something with the express means to specifically target people to be offensive, the staff on ephinea try not to jump on baseless claims (Emphasis on try). I'm not saying this to be a bitch but the staff is instructed to be hands off unless a specific situation calls their attention. Yes, the name is close to the N-word, he might even be using a black character with an afro, but this isn't a mainstream game server where the operators of the game will jump on every potential thing to avoid hurting their corporate master's income. This server makes no money after all.

The best thing you can do is avoid them if they're offending you. Sorry. :S

It's 2018. How could anyone not be aware of this entire bit/joke? There's an entire episode of South Park... which is likely the users entire joke. I explained my concern to the user before he was 20 and his reply was along the lines of "me no understand" "stop troll me" "no speak to me"... as if we all haven't seen him beg in plain English for items and messeta. In 2018 most POC don't have to deal with outright blantant racism because everyone knows you can't get away with that shit (or maybe before this administration in the U.S.). Modern racism is far more subtle, using coded and language shrouded in the privilege of those who claim POC are overly sensitive and it takes a tiny bit of listening to POC's opinions and believing that maybe for one second that someone else's perspective might be valid.

And virtue signaling? A whole bunch of white people telling a POC their too sensitive about the N word sounds more like gas lighting to me.

It's 2018. How could anyone not be aware of this entire bit/joke? There's an entire episode of South Park... which is likely the users entire joke. I explained my concern to the user before he was 20 and his reply was along the lines of "me no understand" "stop troll me" "no speak to me"... as if we all haven't seen him beg in plain English for items and messeta. In 2018 most POC don't have to deal with outright blantant racism because everyone knows you can't get away with that shit (or maybe before this administration in the U.S.). Modern racism is far more subtle, using coded and language shrouded in the privilege of those who claim POC are overly sensitive and it takes a tiny bit of listening to POC's opinions and believing that maybe for one second that someone else's perspective might be valid.

Not to get into a debate. But take it from someone who is frequently fired from jobs and failed most of high school. "White Privilege" doesn't exist.

repeatedly making threads after your thread gets locked is a really bad idea lmao

is the guy saying or doing anything that indicates he's actually using the name as a go-around for the N-word? you keep asking why the staff needs "proof" but it'd make them look pretty bad if they took action against someone's account for no reason lmao

if i have a character named "Fig" that doesn't mean i'm using it maliciously; i love fig newtons

Reactions: Roo
hey how about you start reporting him if he starts acting a fool instead of jumping to conclusions about his behavior like a big babby

you shouldn't let minor bits of shenanigans ruin your enjoyment of the game unless they're active and intrusive tbh

I think it's fair to generally give people the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this where their name treads into offensive territory. With "nagger" specifically though, I wouldn't dare use the word for it's literal dictionary meaning out of fear of being labelled racist. The word has become so synonymous with the n-bomb in society at this point through its use as a substitute for it. Hardly anyone uses it unless the topic of "nagging" has specifically been brought up.

Correct me if I'm wrong Mew. You posted this in another thread on this topic:
HOWEVER, mew Did have to put her foot down on a play with words for a team they wanted to name with "Chink" in it...as in "Chink in Armor" /weakness in Armor.... No matter how you slice it or play around it... "Chink" is unacceptable...>=I
(https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/problem.11249/)

By "they", did you mean "Nagger" or another person in general? Because if this was "Nagger" attempting to push boundaries again, the benefit of the doubt would go out the window. At that point, you could reasonably infer them having the intent to troll.

To be perfectly honest, whether or not they're attempting to troll through the use of "Nagger" as a username should be irrelevant in the case of this specific word. Too many people are going to see it as a racial slur for it to be worth allowing.

1. What kind of conclusions would a new player draw about the culture in the Ephinea community(and its staff) if they saw this person being allowed to run around with this name?

2. What kind of precedent does this set for what is and what isn't allowed on the server? Would you see more names like this as a result? (And subsequently more threads of this nature)

3. Do you think allowing this type of username would make the server appealing to new players?

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to stir shit up. I legitimately care about this community, and I actively help grow it by assisting new players. As such, I'm not going to contribute to this issue any further on the forums. Do what you gotta do.

Last edited:
here's the thing though, i SAW the dude ask for meseta and stuff in game names and whatnot

so i think it's just stirring the pot

modding every little thing just feels like it's going to slippery slope into bad territory

repeatedly making threads after your thread gets locked is a really bad idea lmao

is the guy saying or doing anything that indicates he's actually using the name as a go-around for the N-word? you keep asking why the staff needs "proof" but it'd make them look pretty bad if they took action against someone's account for no reason lmao

if i have a character named "Fig" that doesn't mean i'm using it maliciously; i love fig newtons

if i have a character named "Tranny" that doesn't mean i'm using it maliciously; i love car transmissions

it's time to make nagger get on discord and answer for crimes against ephinea by a jury of peers

uh... white privilege doesn't mean that a white person can't have a shitty life. plenty of white people have shitty lives. anyway...

as for the name thing, i wish it were forcibly changed (and if I'd used that name myself without intending offense and had been told people found it racially insensitive, i'd want to change it myself) but it probably won't be.

the staff here is small and unpaid and underappreciated as a whole, but I do think it's worth wondering just what sort of precedent allowing a name like this is going to set. so we're cool with someone naming a character faggot as long as they aren't obviously trying to be offensive otherwise (bundle definition)? sounds a little fucked, honestly.

here's the real test: how many of you would feel comfortable yelling " hey nagger" in a public space with POC around?

Haven't read all of the comments yet.
Pso players fairly often make immature and or offensive names.
Blacklist them; you will never have to communicate with them.
If its hinting at a offensive word but their name is not actually offensive, nothing can be done.
If you have evidence of him being racist in other instances that is a different story...
Honestly I'd take it to PM's, you won't really get any support from the forums over such a trivial matter.

Seems like a really dumb thing to get bothered over to be honest. If you're being bothered by a the mere resemblance of a word you don't like, then we have a whole different problem......... oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back