turn off the blacklist feature, replace with voting option for kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd

yes the blacklist feature has the power of permitting regular users, some of which are drug users, hackers, abusers, and asshats to be gaming moderators by blacklisting users from parties without cause.

during the MAE event, I noticed some asshats had blacklisted me without known cause, only like one or two people, and it made no sense, but it barred me from joining a couple of games. the thing is some of my friends were in these games and I was blocked solely because some asshat misused the blacklist feature.

the MAE event basically was people making MAE games, and anyone joining to run the course. by allowing users to block people from games just because they want gives them the power to make the game not function for people.

so I recommend the blacklist feature be disabled. instead code into the game the option to IGNORE text from users on a per session basis (because I have never seen a situation where you need to block text from someone indefinitely, and if it comes up, a game moderator can ban or investigate the user), and to vote to kick a user from a game with at least 50% of the vote for two person games, and 66% of the vote for three player or more games. for example if you were party leader and only one person was in your game, you could kick them, however if two people were in your game you needed to convince at least one other player to vote with you. if three people were in your game, you had to convince at least two people to vote with you. if no one wanted to vote with you, the person could stay, or you could leave possibly being the problem yourself, and make a new game, easy as pie, or stay and suck it up.

the voting would function much like Quake III Arena's where you type "/kick red/blue/yellow/green" which causes text to come up "type /yes" or "/no" to kick Sodaboy.

if a user truly demands a private game, they can password protect their game, or use the above kick option, rather than trying to sabotage the game for others with the blacklist feature.

it turns out the game is not supposed to be there's to command, especially with events like MAE, when making public games where they expect others to join them.

yes allowing users to blacklist people for fun is the same as allowing discrimination on the server. that's where the whites would ban blacks from their stores, or men would ban women from schools, being customers, etc.. or people would ban disabled, or certain religious people, or gays from their stores. this is usually banned by law in most of the world.

in the case of todays blacklist feature, it gets used for all sorts of gaytard reasons, ie user does not like a guys force character, a user finds a weapon or rare the other really wanted and refused to trade, someone has a distaste for Japaness or Mexican players, and stupid shit like that, but that does not mean all the other players are against that person.

any blacklist feature that remains might be reserved only to block text from the user, or simple mail.

if a ban from games is truly warranted, let a game moderator step in to check out if the complaint is valid or not.

also it is possible we don't need a room block or kick feature at all, because moderators can be on duty to handle real issues. in the days of schthack, one would record cheaters and game abusers, and post it on a forum if it were a real issue.

Last edited:
People can play with who they do or don't want to play with. If someone doesn't want to play with you, that sucks, but they shouldn't be forced to play with you. That's silly. The same goes for you - if you don't want to play with someone, you don't have to. Imagine if some guy was following you into all of your public games and deliberately getting you killed. How would you feel?

it gets used for all sorts of gaytard reasons
???

People can play with who they do or don't want to play with. If someone doesn't want to play with you, that sucks, but they shouldn't be forced to play with you. That's silly. The same goes for you - if you don't want to play with someone, you don't have to. Imagine if some guy was following you into all of your public games and deliberately getting you killed. How would you feel?

???
There is nobody who goes into your games and gets you killed. That is not why blacklist is used. Blacklist is always used to discriminate against someone or harass them. I have never seen it used legitimately once. I only proffered the idea of a kick option because it might be useful, but I have never once seen it needed myself. And yes even kick options get abused for example I used to be so good at a game called Tactical Ops, I was like an aim bot, I was banned from a server for being better than everyone else. This is often times what blacklists and the like are used for rather than banning cheaters or other offenders. I just dont think we need such an abusive option for ephinea.

Also the thing is this is not a deal where this is your game. These are public rooms and the blacklist function is being used by people to disrupt the game and create blocks for no cause of any user.

The thing is I have never seen anyone harass a person or abuse them to warrant the need to block. I have never even seen a harassive simple mail. This is in 20 years of PSO.

This means that most likely the idea that someone is that bad you need to ban them from games and block simple mail is probably not reality and it only serves to harass and abuse others, usually if the person doing the blacklisting is himself one of these people we should ban and have on a leash.

In the history of this game, blacklisting has never been possible that I know of like original DC didn't have it. No one generally had issues there. If you had a guy join your game and you didn't want them there say because you forgot to set a password the solution was to leave and remake the game for example.

Along time ago there were trouble makers here and there like the users who used hacks but I have never seen those in use on Ephinea. The DC version had PK, walk through wall hacks etc. PSOBB also has that problem but it depends on if the server allows such wild and crazy user data to be sent through it and I haven't seen it in 5 years since schthack days.
These types of users were not the kind you blacklisted, but would record and get a moderator to observe for a server wide ban or something if warranted.

If blacklisting existed on schthack and Sega - I have never once been blacklisted before that I know of.

That's why I find the use of blacklist offensive because it is being used by peons who dont use it for good reason and can shut the game down entirely if they wanted. Imagine an attack where a small group made a bunch of rooms with a huge blacklist.

The parties are not theirs - these are supposed to be public games - password protection is for private games and always has been. Lets keep the public games for public use so everyone can enjoy them. Let's ban discrimination and attacking others through use of the blacklist.
Oh yes and sometimes especially this game is so dead, at night there is only one game but when everyone is just randomly joining games, some asshat who happens to be the guy who makes the one active room should not be able to disrupt the game by keeping anyone out for no cause- so you cant join up your friends or the current active players, just because some guy put you on a blacklist.

Yes it is possible to make your own room but like I said at night time there are often only enough players for one active room at a time, so you will be forced to sit alone until the other guy stops making his room, if the other players started in his room first. Yes remember the other players are not usually the other guys friend, they are just trying to get a four man team from the active players and not involved in the blacklist abuse at all.

Last edited:
There is nobody who goes into your games and gets you killed.
I mean, @jajaswipo pulled this on me a week ago, but whatever. :wacko:

If blacklisting is removed and you join a game made by someone who doesn't want to play with you, they'll just tell everyone else in the game a password and then remake it without you. That's a hell of a lot of hassle for what amounts to the same thing, and it'd probably piss you off even more if people kept abandoning games when you joined them. Even if it is just one or two people, that'd get aggravating after a while, wouldn't it?

The thing is I have never seen anyone harass a person or abuse them to warrant the need to block. I have never even seen a harassive simple mail.
upload_2018-9-7_0-53-44.png

The parties are not theirs
?????

There is nobody who goes into your games and gets you killed. That is not why blacklist is used. Blacklist is always used to discriminate against someone or harass them. I have never seen it used legitimately once. I only proffered the idea of a kick option because it might be useful, but I have never once seen it needed myself. And yes even kick options get abused for example I used to be so good at a game called Tactical Ops, I was like an aim bot, I was banned from a server for being better than everyone else. This is often times what blacklists and the like are used for rather than banning cheaters or other offenders. I just dont think we need such an abusive option for ephinea.

Also the thing is this is not a deal where this is your game. These are public rooms and the blacklist function is being used by people to disrupt the game and create blocks for no cause of any user.

The thing is I have never seen anyone harass a person or abuse them to warrant the need to block. I have never even seen a harassive simple mail. This is in 20 years of PSO.

This means that most likely the idea that someone is that bad you need to ban them from games and block simple mail is probably not reality and it only serves to harass and abuse others, usually if the person doing the blacklisting is himself one of these people we should ban and have on a leash.

In the history of this game, blacklisting has never been possible that I know of like original DC didn't have it. No one generally had issues there. If you had a guy join your game and you didn't want them there say because you forgot to set a password the solution was to leave and remake the game for example.

Along time ago there were trouble makers here and there like the users who used hacks but I have never seen those in use on Ephinea. The DC version had PK, walk through wall hacks etc. PSOBB also has that problem but it depends on if the server allows such wild and crazy user data to be sent through it and I haven't seen it in 5 years since schthack days.
These types of users were not the kind you blacklisted, but would record and get a moderator to observe for a server wide ban or something if warranted.

If blacklisting existed on schthack and Sega - I have never once been blacklisted before that I know of.

That's why I find the use of blacklist offensive because it is being used by peons who dont use it for good reason and can shut the game down entirely if they wanted. Imagine an attack where a small group made a bunch of rooms with a huge blacklist.

The parties are not theirs - these are supposed to be public games - password protection is for private games and always has been. Lets keep the public games for public use so everyone can enjoy them. Let's ban discrimination and attacking others through use of the blacklist.
Oh yes and sometimes especially this game is so dead, at night there is only one game but when everyone is just randomly joining games, some asshat who happens to be the guy who makes the room should not be able to disrupt the game by keeping anyone out for no cause- so he cant join up his friends or the current active players.
right on brother

Oh yes and sometimes especially this game is so dead, at night there is only one game but when everyone is just randomly joining games, some asshat who happens to be the guy who makes the room should not be able to disrupt the game by keeping anyone out for no cause- so he cant join up his friends or the current active players.

Hey man, sorry about the asshats. Hope we get a game together sometime. I just uh...need your guildcard # first. :rolleyes:

Honestly, a /mute <gc or name> command might be used by players as a substitute for blacklisting in some cases (edit: just searched and gov't suggested it a year back)
My suggestion is adding a Mute or Ignore command. Unlike the blacklist command integrated into PSOBB this will only mute the person and still allow them to join the parties you create.

Also hey todd, glad you recovered from getting slaughtered in that cell by the CIA, welcome back to Ragol buddy!

I'm going to keep it real with you chief. Chances are you probably did something stupid like resta someone that was using DF, were using lame d' argent in a party when you should be unsealing that on your own time, or spamming H1 with DF on every single enemy. I haven't felt the need to block anyone but things like this do annoy me. Some people are just less forgiving than others. My advice is just try to improve your game play and blacklists won't occur. My only real true annoyance is people that aren't open to advice/critique and just get mad instead when you try to help them improve. Everyone starts from somewhere, so I expect new players to learn, and it's nice seeing new people play and get better over time too. That's my advice to you at least, hope that that helps.

A kick feature could be easily abused, too.

I think Blacklisting people for healing while using DF is stupid. If you want to "meta" with DF, do it in TA games. DF users drag the rest of the party down the overwhelming majority of the time in normal play because everyone has to tiptoe around them. If anything, I'd rather blacklist THEM for being obnoxious at everyone else's expense.

The amount of time you'll spend perfecting the art of DFing without constantly dying will far exceed any amount of time you'll ever save using it. Don't blacklist people for trying to stay alive and not wanting to spend 40k on consumables every run.

If blacklisting is removed and you join a game made by someone who doesn't want to play with you, they'll just tell everyone else in the game a password and then remake it without you. That's a hell of a lot of hassle for what amounts to the same thing, and it'd probably piss you off even more if people kept abandoning games when you joined them. Even if it is just one or two people, that'd get aggravating after a while, wouldn't it?

And that would be called To-Avoid-List rather than Blacklist. A common practice in the older days of PSO.

Honestly, a /mute <gc or name> command might be used by players as a substitute for blacklisting in some cases (edit: just searched and gov't suggested it a year back)

Also hey todd, glad you recovered from getting slaughtered in that cell by the CIA, welcome back to Ragol buddy!
Yeah I am still in a CIA black site. They got me blacklisted in real life.

Check out some c00l material on that https://www.trumpsweapon.com/

And that would be called To-Avoid-List rather than Blacklist. A common practice in the older days of PSO.
Like serious I think I recall the reason I was blacklisted.

Although some of these people I have no idea because I have noticed too many people talking about blacklisting someone for no cause- and have no idea if I was blacklisted for some unknown as well here and there.

But I was on a run with a party when one guy disconnected, and I had to get up to the answer the door, leaving just two players there. I get back and finish the game. The guys suddenly blame me for answering the door, and the other player for leaving entirely, not for anything I did.

Next thing you know - and they were pals - they said "going on the blacklist.

That's when I realized these players are stupid and abuse the blacklist function.
Of course later I witnessed too many people blacklisting others for no cause, and being a network administrator myself, I realised blacklist was a useless a abuseable feature causing disruption for player's. Yes eventually I ran into some prompts- having no idea which user blacked me- saying I could not join a game for no cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back