Steam Overlay Enabled, but doesnt work

villain2k

Guildcard
Has anyone found a workaround to get the stock version of PSO BB Ephinea (w/out mods)
I've tried everything adding just about every exe related psobb file in the folder. And still doesn't work :( I searched the forums hopefully i didn't past anything and overlooked any threads or replies.
But ran into one about using the steam overlay but the user sounded like he or she got it to work before until mods we're installed i don't want to confuse anyone that's why i stated "(w/out mods)"
at the end there. Would be very hopeful to figure out a work around fix or modification anything type of help even if its registry related i am above novice using regedit .... Windows 10 Professional 64bit version, that's what I'm using as my current/main windows based operating system. I am using the Hyperkin Duke controller, and its hard not to bump the home button which crashes the game and greeted with a black screen... And with me it's muscle memory because i always use it, i use steam link i built a Steam Pi & and using Original Steam Link when valve wanted to clear inventory priced around $0.50 something like that.

Dude. Sorry it's a few months late but try this. https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases

Dump the d3d8.dll into the Ephinea folder. Overwriting the original. This allows PSOBB amongst other DirectX8 based titles to run in DirectX9. Which is what I think the issue is. As soon as PSOBB looses focus it crashes. UAC, Alt+Tab can all cause this if running in fullscreen. I'm going to have a play round today at some point and let you know how it goes.

Can I check are you launching the game from Steam itself? As in adding PSOBB.exe to Custom game?

Last edited:
Turns out none of that worked. But what did work was running Steam as Administrator. Worked immediatley and I was able to use L2 and R2. Learned something myself there.

Dude. Sorry it's a few months late but try this. https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases

Dump the d3d8.dll into the Ephinea folder. Overwriting the original. This allows PSOBB amongst other DirectX8 based titles to run in DirectX9. Which is what I think the issue is. As soon as PSOBB looses focus it crashes. UAC, Alt+Tab can all cause this if running in fullscreen. I'm going to have a play round today at some point and let you know how it goes.

Can I check are you launching the game from Steam itself? As in adding PSOBB.exe to Custom game?
Now this is pretty cool. Will this let PSOBB work with Steam's controller configuration? Trying to find better ways to make my macros because Steam usually breaks Antimicro for me

Hi. Yeah it's a bit odd as you ONLY need to add the buttons that are missing and it keeps the ones PSO already has stored. So for me this was the Triggers L2/R2 and nothing else was needed. I really like Antimicro but now I've investigated this i think ill use Steam to launch PSO so all my friends can see I'm stuck in the Year 2000 still. The only caveat though is you can't launch the Ephinea launcher then PSOBB.EXE so there is a potential to miss updates. However I guess you'll know once you attempt a ship login. Forgive my formatting I'm on mobile but didn't want to leave you hanging.

Oh cool! Seems like a fair trade off for me, I usually launch with PSOBB.exe anyways. I'm gonna a have to play around with Steam and give it a shot

Ok, after @Sodaboy latest and very welcome update this information is out of date. As he rightly said PSOBB.exe no longer requires Administrative permissions Steam no longer does either to use the controller overlay. Confirmed this working myself.

Thank you.

Back