Scoob's Guide To Pure Mathematics

ScoobyDew

Casual As Fuck
Guildcard
Sup guys. As many of you already know or if you don't know. I've been pursuing a PhD in Pure Mathematics. I'm about to finish up my degree this coming month. Many are curious as to what a Pure Math PhD student does. We're still students, we still attend class, do homework etc but we are also instructors. We teach classes, TA classes, conduct research, attend conferences etc. As creepy boy @falkenjeff discovered I attended Stony Brook University for a short while. I was only a visiting student and have since moved on to another University. Please do not try to locate me as while I may joke and clown around on the forums and discord, I would like to keep my academic life as professional as possible so that I may continue my career in Pure Mathematics.

I currently teach Linear Algebra, emphasis on proofs. My students requested I make some videos to assist in their studies. If for whatever reason, a PSO player takes a Pure Mathematics course they are free to view these videos.

Linear Algebra won't be the only topic covered I might also host Calculus 1 - 3, Differential Equations, Analysis of Several Dimensions, Complex Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Applied Algebra, etc.

Proof of Theorem 2.8 Chapter 2.2 Matrix Representations of Linear Transformations

Example

Last edited:
If you start a channel like those random Khan academy videos, that'd be pretty cool. I think Khan covers stuff that are far more basic. Good luck brah

If you start a channel like those random Khan academy videos, that'd be pretty cool. I think Khan covers stuff that are far more basic. Good luck brah
Khan goes over proofs pretty heavily. I think proofs turn people away from Math because they can be confusing. Most channels go over calculus and the first level of linear algebra. I'll try to make videos of higher level mathematics.

I might start up a channel if i have the time. Perhaps I'll stick to examples if time is a constraint.

Man where were you when I needed help in College xD. I managed though. I had a lot more fun in Math for teachers than College Algebra 2

My Guide For Math.

2+2=4. jk.

x^2+12x+36= 0
6 6
(x+6)^2 = 0
x= -6 x=-6

FYI: if you're going to do math, don'r ever EVER quit.

I can remember most of my programming bullshit after not using it for years. But math? It's all gone. If you don't use it you lose it. Advanced, imo, is basically the equivalent of learning multiple spoken languages. It's a TON of information to memorize. And unlike languages, it's not intuitive.

Like, in high school I wouldn't "show my work" and would do like 5-10 steps to an equation all in one go. I would make zero mistakes and if I finished a test early I wouldn't even bother looking over it a second time. And now? Just trying to re-learn basic high school algebra I'll forget or misuse rules (without doing multiple steps at once) because, unlike high school, I haven't done math every day for pretty much my entire life, so it's not ingrained into my head anymore.

Man where were you when I needed help in College xD
Probably sleeping in first period class ;)

MAN WHO USES PAINT ANYMORE

jkjk looks cool fam.
Yea I'd rather write it out with pen and paper but I don't have a nice setup. And thanks babe ;)

My Guide For Math.

2+2=4. jk.

x^2+12x+36= 0
6 6
(x+6)^2 = 0
x= -6 x=-6
Root huh? Yea you're gonna need those for eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

I can remember most of my programming bullshit after not using it for years. But math? It's all gone. If you don't use it you lose it. Advanced, imo, is basically the equivalent of learning multiple spoken languages. It's a TON of information to memorize. And unlike languages, it's not intuitive.
After enough grinding it eventually becomes second nature, like riding a bike. You just need to visualize what is happening as best as you possibly can. As you move up in mathematics, visualization isn't practical as trying to picture a fourth dimension isn't possible and trying to visualize any dimension above that is well... not going to happen.

After enough grinding it eventually becomes second nature, like riding a bike. You just need to visualize what is happening as best as you possibly can. As you move up in mathematics, visualization isn't practical as trying to picture a fourth dimension isn't possible and trying to visualize any dimension above that is well... not going to happen

It was "second nature" when I was using it. But now it's gone.

You don't realize what you can "lose" if you've been in school for your entire lifetime (because you've been using it - and thus remembering it - for your entire lifetime). Even if you went farther into math than I did, if you took a career change and didn't touch math at all for 5+ years you would probably forget most of it. The advantage you'd have (being farther along in it than I was) is it'd be easier to pick back up. But you'd still probably have to start at the beginning. Because everything builds on everything, and you forget chunks and chunks everywhere in your "math timeline" in your brain.

It was "second nature" when I was using it. But now it's gone.

You don't realize what you can "lose" if you've been in school for your entire lifetime (because you've been using it - and thus remembering it - for your entire lifetime). Even if you went farther into math than I did, if you took a career change and didn't touch math at all for 5+ years you would probably forget most of it. The advantage you'd have (being farther along in it than I was) is it'd be easier to pick back up. But you'd still probably have to start at the beginning. Because everything builds on everything, and you forget chunks and chunks everywhere in your "math timeline" in your brain.

LOL I fucking love this. "You don't realize what you can "lose" if you've been in school for your entire lifetime (because you've been using it - and thus remembering it - for your entire lifetime)." as if I've never experienced what it was like to forget stuff.

Yea sure. I forget shit all the time. The difference between you and I is that I remember what the math means. I may forget the theorem but I know what the point of the theorem is. Suppose I need to take derivatives of some function. Say I forget the theorem, alls I have to do is read the theorem proof. I know what it means to take derivatives of some function. Say I want to find the slope of some function. Taking derivatives(tangent lines) allows me to match the slope of my tangent line to the slope of my function. The way you see it is "let me bring down the 2 in x^2 so my derivative is 2x". See the difference?

Take @ToasterMage and I for example. I can code. I can read code. I can translate his Rust to Java. I can see what the code is doing but I don't understand the code. What it means to point at AX04F55. I get lost at that point and I have to ask him. Jake, being an ass of course, responds with "Stop being stupid it means #@$@$@$%". See what I mean?

Last edited:
I could go so much more in depth for how these theorems break down. I assume if someone is taking level 2 of Linear Algebra they already know the basis of what is being explained. Plus, writing out everything on MS paint is an ass.

Chapter 3.3 System of Linear Equations - Theoretical Aspects

watched these, explained very well and good examples. these would have helped me out when I was doing Lin Alg

seconding the drawing tablet suggestion, if you continue to make more, it will make your life and the viewer's lives significantly easier (plus, can pick up a decent used one off of ebay for < $50 or so)

Back