Removing the need to tag enemies for experience

Mome Chomsky

Guildcard
First, I don't even know if this is possible.

The way gaining experience in this game works is one thing that has always kind of annoyed me. It makes sense according to the logic that you get experience based on contributing to the party, but I think at later stages of the game it just gets annoying. Basically, it forces players to do things that don't really do anything but hinder the party, instead of rewarding them for contributing. It doesn't really make sense that you are rewarded more for intentionally playing poorly. Playing with someone who casts rafoie on every spawn is just not fun at all, but they kind of have to do it if they want to level up. Additionally, feeling like you need to do something that hurts the rest of the party isn't very enjoyable either. Finally, the "competition for experience" mentality it fosters is in my opinion not good for the community. It is also not fair to characters who may be more suited for taking out single targets quickly than larger mobs (they're just as helpful to the party, but they aren't rewarded as much). I'm sure it could certainly be abused (people joining a game then just standing there), but how many people would actually do that? I would hope not many.

Either way thanks for reading this.

We've talked about this before and we actually agree this should be a thing, mostly for the reasons you state, but mostly because tagging in PSO is actually detrimental due to damage cancel.

Anything is possible, the main question is whether the developers think it's a good idea to implement (I know that Soda is not a fan of the idea, and chances are Tofu won't be either), and then there's also finding out if the community is okay with it (everything is very spook considering Ephinea is supposed to be some form of "vanilla"). If there was insistence of getting less EXP for not tagging, I wonder if 50-70-100% EXP thresholds would be found acceptable and actually solve the problem.

Naturally if anything like this was to happen, there would be a range threshold similar to PSO2 drops, since otherwise there would probably end up being a phenomenon of people AFK'ing at the start of games.

one of the biggest issues with the initial discussion of it was that the first time it was brought up, it was instantly shot down with a dismissive comment of "so you want people to carry you"

the second time it was brought up, the community was highly divided on it. many thought it should just be standard at this point while others thought that people are just lazy and don't want to do it the hard way they've been doing it for for 16 years, which is unneeded gatekeeping in a game this ancient

i'm all for it since it'd help people out but there's no way to tell if it'll actually go through

Nah, it was over a year ago for sure, and bringing it up again / more frequently just means it'd be something more players would like to see, so I wouldn't apologise.

Unfortunately I had to make the Suggestions forum hidden after all the drama that happened in the last one, just look at the Episode 2 Drop Chart thread for a recent example.

Back