Removal of Classic drop style and penalty to PSO2 drop style, January 15th, 2018

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
On January 15th, 2018 at 15:00 UTC (07:00 Pacific, 10:00 Eastern), we will be removing the Classic drop style from the normal game play mode. In addition to this, we will also be removing Drop Anything Rate penalty on the PSO2 drop style so that the rate does not decrease as more players join your party.

We hope that these changes encourage more people to party together.

Please note that the Classic drop style will still be in effect for Battle and Challenge modes.

We expect a 10 minute down time of the servers to make this change.

Please look forward to it and thank you for playing on Ephinea!

Update: Maintenance has been completed. With the removal of the shared drop system rate penalty, Hunters Boost Road has received a small nerf from the maximum drop rate of 35% extra per person to 25% per person. The rare rate bonus of 6% max for each SS ranked person was not changed.

Last edited:
Honestly? Thank god. Classic style drops are antiquated for a reason. No longer are we punished for playing with a group!

Does that mean there's even less reason to use anything but male CAST or FO now?

Also, what is the reasoning behind removing classic entirely? I don't care for it personally but I'm sure there's people that are purist enough to want to play that way. Even if it's just changed so PSO2 mode is the default instead (assuming this is feasible).

Not trying to be a negative Nancy!

Last edited:
Will this coincide with a slight reduction to HBR DAR boosts? That would totally be justified, if so.
I can see this actually, perhaps capping the HBR at 25% per person would make sense (so a full party with full boosts would get double drops). You'd also be getting extra boosts everytime points go up, instead of starting with a defecit for extra players.

Hi, so a question that has come up is why we're doing this now when we were against the removal of the penalty in the past, and why it was put in in the first place.

Originally, PSO was designed around shared drops, and adding an individual drop system had us thinking that we'd most likely be introducing too many items into the game, so the drop system was levied with a penalty depending on how many players were in the game.

While this is logically sound, what this ultimately ended up doing is making players feel like they were being punished for playing with other people. The drop reduction made you get less drops in a run than if you played a run, so many players, especially the stronger ones, saw no point to run with other players if all they got was less drops from it.

First, we decided to just relax the penalty for having more players, as many players would not play games past 2 or 3 players, but obviously this doesn't really get to the root of the problem, which was that playing with other players made them feel like they were getting less out of it, making them avoid doing so.

After playing other games for a while (in my case, Warframe), I've realised that giving players less drops for playing with others doesn't make sense from a player perspective. If I was told that playing with other players would cause me to get less drops, I just wouldn't do it; the only reason it was acceptable in PSO is because individual drops were seen as a blessing as the base game had a shared drop system. Multiplayer games should not punish a player for playing with other players, and the solo experience should be played because a player wants to play alone or challenge themselves, not because they feel they get more out of it.

As for the worry that too many items would come into an economy, this doesn't really matter. 4 players playing alone instead of together is quite comparable. While the latter is obviously faster, it's not so much faster that the economy would destroy itself. If anything, the item reader addon is more offensive when considering things that "destroy economies".

I hope this clears up any questions you may have about the subject.

This needed to happen, too many times players were excluded/solomode run due to pso2 dar penalty. Led to elitism with players who didn't "contribute" joining and dropping the DAR.

Pso is best when playing with others imo, and after solomode was introduced there was no real reason for multiplayer games to suffer.

Best change since I've been on epihnea, thanks to the mods.

Good, I still help random people and joined low level games but yeah it always felt like it was costly to do so vs just soloing the full game.

Always hated being alone as well when I wanted to play with others in random games.

Why not just keep it as an option but have the PSO2 drop style be the default?
PSO2 style is better of course but it feels wrong to remove a huge part of the original game to me. Even enabling classic drops was a chat command would be better than removing one of the last classic features the server offers.

As it seems there's only classic drop rate as default for normal and season and PSO2 drop rate is completly removed. Shouldn't classic be removed instead?

As it seems there's only classic drop rate as default for normal and season and PSO2 drop rate is completly removed. Shouldn't classic be removed instead?
Haha, did I make a mistake? That's how it was supposed to be. HOLD UP

I really should stop updating stuff as soon as I wake up. Anyway, will be fixed in like 2 minutes.

Wow yesterday I was thinking about potential bug testing achievements. Like 'What happens for classic drop system and a Red weapon drops. Who will get the achievement? The one who picks it up, or every player.' :p

Wow yesterday I was thinking about potential bug testing achievements. Like 'What happens for classic drop system and a Red weapon drops. Who will get the achievement? The one who picks it up, or every player.' :p
It isn't relevant anymore, but it would have been the one who picked it up.

to be honest, i sorta had a soft spot for classic drops. they just annoyed me still. i'm glad it's still available in seasons because i don't necessarily want to see it gone, but i know i'm just going to go to pso2 style drops anyway (i'm conflicted)

Reactions: TLS
Back