R.i.p. Chester Bennington

Lead singer of my favorite band since i was a kid took his own life today. Along with my own recent development of intense anxiety/depression this has been a rough day.

Truly truly heart broken.

Reactions: UNO
Yeah my gf said she was genuinely upset about him dying. I couldn't really relate at all, Personally I could care less when celebrities die. I don't know any of them personally so claiming that their death in any way moved me is false sympathy.

I'm not sure I'd be that moved if my favourite artist died. I think I'd be somewhat dismayed they wouldn't be making any more music for me to enjoy, but that's just selfish on my part.

Problem with anxiety/depression is that it can make us overly sensitive to things. Situations out of our control seem to be what can make us worry the most. But we shouldn't invest time in situations we have no say in as it's just worrying unnecessarily. If we focus on what we can do in life and go about making positive steps and changes then it can make us feel more in control. It also helps to remind yourself when you're delving into despair about situations you can't do anything about. That way you can pull yourself back and focus on things that you can affect in your life.

If someone has died don't mourn what is lost. Remember the positives of how they affected you, don't focus on what could have been or what no longer is.

Ed

Last edited:
I dunno just because you yourself cant mourn someones loss, doesn't mean you should go around telling people they shouldnt be mourning someone who just died today, everyone deals with loss in their own ways. Its great your mr macho about it - but the rest of us really connected with his music and him, we've all got memories from our youth screaming our little lungs out to chesters chorus's, so yeah its gonna hit a section of us a little more personally then "that one lead singer guy killed himself"

Don't you think it's sad when ANYONE dies! I may not know a celebrity personally, nor may I mourn for them personally, but that doesn't stop the fact it's a horrific thing, literally awful. I feel for anyone mourning of any sort as I have experiences of my own... Life is so precious, and so easily gone. Respect your life, and others whom live. Respect the dead, as those whom once lived and hope that their Souls are resting in peace.

Last edited:
I said "I" not "you". Just because I think some way doesn't mean I'm telling other's not to mourn. I'm guessing I hit a nerve as you're going on the defensive. I'm certainly not Mr Macho, I'm just saying that I don't mourn people dying who I don't know. Me and my friends loved their music when we were young teenagers too, but it doesn't change the fact I think that sympathy for the death of strangers is pretty hollow.

A multi millionaire who killed themselves is a coward in my eyes. Yep unpopular opinion, but not as a troll, this is truly just one of my many awkward opinions. If you're loaded and can't find the help you need then I have no respect for them whatsoever. You could hire the best therapists, go on retreats and total change your life in ways that most of us could never dream of affording. Similar to when Robin Williams died, everyone lost their shit and called it a tragedy. If they took the easy way out then more fool them. Lack of willpower plain and simple.

Money can't buy happiness but it can make living in misery a lot easier.

Ed

Last edited:
You don't live their lives so what do you know. How do you know their struggles, how do you know what was easy or hard for them. The fact is you don't, so judging them purely because you personally think they had easier opportunities to deal with life.. Is sick. Just because someone is rich doesn't mean they can deal with anything better or easier, I'm sure for some it only makes things worse. You do not know others struggles so judging and saying people having sympathy for others is hollow is just.. frankly quite disgusting. There is nothing wrong for caring or respecting for one another as human beings!! Not expecting you to care, but telling others they are hollow for doing so?! No just no. How dumb. If you've got nothing positive to say then step aside with your insensitive bs, and let others discuss as they wish to do so on the matter. I think the one who's hollow inside Bro is you. Someone Lend me a Zanpakutō yo.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Ed, it's only once someone actually commits suicide that people actually care about mental illness. While I think you have something of a point (suicide is a rather selfish way out), you have to realise that mental illness is hugely stigmatised everywhere still.

While he had all the opportunities to get it sorted out unlike us plebians may not have, what if he actually did? People he knew and loved would most likely tell him he's being selfish, he has everything how can he be unhappy, he just needs to pick himself up, etc. etc. etc. No matter if you're rich or poor, these social judgements are everywhere and they are truly what make mental illness difficult to get out of -- people are not supportive, they are judgmental. If the media picked up on the fact that he was depressed or suicidal, it'd probably be a megaphone about how the lead singer of Linkin Park (I think? I don't know this guy) was being an entitled little git who thinks he can be unhappy with all he's got (or something, making this shit up, highly doubt it would be positive or supportive though, it only ever is after the fact).

So the problem is not that this guy was selfish I would say, rather we still have a long way to go regarding mental illness and it's causing even the rich and the wealthy to take their lives even though they have every opportunity to sort that shit out.

Poor guy though, no idea who he is but it's always sad when anyone dies. :(

Basically you have to think from both sides of the spectrum; some people who don't feel anything from it and those who are really hit hard from it, but sadly that's rarely a thing nowadays (at least from my observation).

I personally will say...regardless of not knowing him at all I still think its sad that he died because I can't help but think about the family he left behind also especially the way he died makes that sadness much worse.

Someone I was on a date with yesterday evening told me this. I was shocked and was like "wait, are you being serious?" Was an awkward moment. Meteora will always hold a special place in my teenage soul.

Someone Lend me a Zanpakutō yo.
Roger! Lol. I don't have much to add other than my own experience yesterday. I sorta read the news and went "huh", and went on with my day. Maybe like 5 seconds of remorse. Sure, I liked some of their songs when I was young but I wasn't really a fan. I mean I didn't even hear his name until yesterday. What's sad is that I didn't feel more remorse - with the world as global as it is now, each suicide or death you hear about is in a way desensitizing you. We must protect ourselves by not becoming affected by each tragedy we hear about. Of course I relate with people who were touched by his death, if his music had a large impact on you. That is not my place or any other persons place to decide whether someone is in the right for mourning a death. If one of my favourite artists died today I would be a wreck. (Pls don't die Drake)

I mourn for people I don't know all the time. When the news about that huge apartment fire in London came out I cried like a baby. Life is precious. RIP Chester - you touched a lot of peoples hearts. It is truly amazing for a single person's death to affect so many people, no matter how their lives were taken. I think many of us would like to live a life where we are mourned and remembered for all we gave to the world. Notice I said many, not all. I'm sure there are people out there who don't give a shit lol. I would also like to echo Matt's post. Go read it again. Depression and mental illness still have a huge stigma which prevents us from speaking about our own problems and seeking help. We all have our demons and none of us like talking about it. We don't like to even acknowledge it to ourselves until its festered to a certain point. I will admit right now that I have had my own struggles in the past, and I know many out there have as well. For anyone reading this and is thinking about suicide, there are help lines in your area you can call, and distress centers you can go to. Or you can send me a lengthy PM about it and I'll hear you out. People will miss you when you're gone because they respect and love you. Please get the help you need so that you can be around to enjoy it yourself. Take care everyone.

I want to rage specifically at a few of raggamuffins points but I will refrain as I think you know better, or at least should know better not to share crude opinions like that when other people are having a bad day. :D

I never really heard his music but the circumstances of his death are pretty sad,depression it's not an easy thing to deal at all.
For all the fans out there,hang in there guys.
On a side note I think that people can have their own opinions about anything but telling others what they should think it's not okay,even more when the subject is something as delicate as this.
We should respect what others have to say even if we don't feel the same way about it.

First pic result of Hanging Chester is a giant naan.

Because food is more important than nu metal people

upload_2017-7-26_20-58-10.png

Ed, normally I genuinely enjoy your postings, but this thread in particular has struck me as odd and seemingly out of character for you, at least what little I've gathered from spectating, anyway, as I don't know you personally. Your first posts are understandable, as you are just staging your opinion on the matter, but this one seems rather vitriolic for reasons I can't seem to place. Comparing them, it's quite the dichotomy. At first you say you can't particularly feel much of anything for this person who was in enough mental anguish and pain to kill themselves, to posting something rather cold and callous about the same topic just a few days later.

Not trying to poke the bear or say your opinions aren't valid, just putting my useless thoughts in on the matter. As for my own opinion on the thread, my first thought was that I was surprised it took this long. I wasn't particularly sad about it, but I definitely acknowledge the fact that an artist many people loved and respected is no longer around for those that needed him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back