Option for tekker to Tek to Max %s

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

edit: should give the player the option to choose any tek% as there are instances where any tek% could be good like untekked Psycho Wand [0/5/0/0] or [0/10/0/0] to make it clean

Last edited:
There are instances where you maybe want to tek down for photon booster instead of sphere (or for -5 memes). So there should definitely be an option to tek normally.

But generally speaking you always want to max tech anyway which is why I find it such a weird game mechanic. It's so cheap it's not a meseta drain anyway, but that is fixed by adding the 10k fee (or whatever number).

I messaged Matt about something like this a year ago and I never got a reply, so I don't think it's very "high priority" right now or even a consideration.

...I'd pay 10k every time for an instant "perfect tekk" though. Tekking is a very bad noob-trap, too. The cases where you'd want a non-perfect tekk are very rare.

This has been suggested a few times, and I'm pretty sure Soda and Tofu are opposed to it. :v

Yes, but perhaps it's time to revisit it? The game is very old, after all...

At this point in the game, there's no more "surprise" with finding untekked weapons. Tekking is an objectively terrible mechanic on Sega's part, probably worse than non-stackable grinders (which Ephinea rectified), so why not take another look?

Yes, but perhaps it's time to revisit it?
3. The development staff has the final say on what or what isn't implemented on this server. (Doesn't matter if 99% or more want something implemented, what actually gets implemented is up to the development staff.)
4. Bumping your suggestion post to "bring it to our attention again" will most likely do the opposite and cause us to further ignore it.

Yep, and that doesn't say at all that they won't reconsider something later. What's your point? Move along.

Edit: I didn't "bump this suggestion." This was an innocent first time idea for the OP. You can't expect someone to read this entire forum before posting anything. Give the guy a break.

Last edited:
Edit: I didn't "bump this suggestion." This was an innocent first time idea for the OP. You can't expect someone to read this entire forum before posting anything. Give the guy a break.
I didn't say Orancube did anything wrong... I just told him what's been said before. You're the one that said "we should revisit it"...

Yeah, and maybe if two people have the exact same idea about the exact same issue, it’s further demonstration that something should be revisited. I think the point of the rule you cited is to keep the same person from bringing up the same idea over and over.

I support this change too.

I have wasted too much of my life tekking shit over and over. No more fucking around, let's have a max tekk button so we can all get on with our lives, find more shit, and make the Ephinea economy great again!

Okay, are we talking max tekking as in "go straight to +10 without having to reroll" or "just push everything tekkable to 100% and get it over with"?

If it's the former, I personally have no problems rolling for +10 (my concern is rolling +10 on Hit and rolling a good special), but I can see why someone would want to pay 100x the tekking fee for the sake of convenience (though I might have to question it if it would also roll the special at +1. Grind isn't a concern). If it's the latter, hell no. Last thing PSO Ephinea needs is easy 100% Hit hell weapons.

And like Aleron said, it could be worse. It could just do the identification once and only once and potentially ruin what could have been a very good Hell Beam or Diska of Braveman. Or have a chance to just OUTRIGHT destroy it and force you to hunt another one (and by destroy, I mean delete it from your inventory, like what MMOs like Dragon Nest and such do if you fail to upgrade them).

(P.S. iirc, PSU's grinding system doesn't TECHNICALLY destroy your weapon if you fail, but I'm pretty sure resetting the grind level and reducing the max grind by 1 each time can screw someone over big time with rares, so one would be forced to hunt for it again anyway. At least the Portable games ditched that in favor of just making the gains random).

Last edited:
Okay, are we talking max tekking as in "go straight to +10 without having to reroll" or "just push everything tekkable to 100% and get it over with"?

If it's the former, I personally have no problems rolling for +10 (my concern is rolling +10 on Hit and rolling a good special), but I can see why someone would want to pay 100x the tekking fee for the sake of convenience (though I might have to question it if it would also roll the special at +1. Grind isn't a concern). If it's the latter, hell no. Last thing PSO Ephinea needs is easy 100% Hit hell weapons.

And like Aleron said, it could be worse. It could just do the identification once and only once and potentially ruin what could have been a very good Hell Beam or Diska of Braveman. Or have a chance to just OUTRIGHT destroy it and force you to hunt another one (and by destroy, I mean delete it from your inventory, like what MMOs like Dragon Nest and such do if you fail to upgrade them).

(P.S. iirc, PSU's grinding system doesn't TECHNICALLY destroy your weapon if you fail, but I'm pretty sure resetting the grind level and reducing the max grind by 1 each time can screw someone over big time with rares, so one would be forced to hunt for it again anyway. At least the Portable games ditched that in favor of just making the gains random).

Yes I'm talking about just getting +10% on all the stats. The other thing would be absolutely game breaking.

But yeah it's not like the mechanic couldn't be worse or sucks that much, it's just not great and annoying. I'm not sure what SEGA's intention was with this mechanic. In the PSU one it's obviously a gamble. Do you take it with mediocre stats, or risk hunting it again. But in PSO there's no reason to not Tek again if it's not max stats. It can be a long and tedious process with a chance to mess up.

If it's implemented that people can normally tech, or pay 10k (or whatever) to max tech. People who like tekking can still do it and probably get it cheaper.

I think this would be an excellent addition to ephinea since it's only about quality of life and would have no actual impact on the economy or whatever.

I'm not sure what SEGA's intention was with this mechanic.
Many of Sega's choices rely on PSO being a black box where nobody understands its inner workings. Once you do, the design principles stop making sense. Paganini's guessing game is a prime example of this: Sega did it so that the things you could buy, and how much you had to spend to get them, would be a mystery. A decade later everybody knows what you can get, so the haggling is just obnoxious and serves no purpose.

The purpose of tekking was to help you beat the RNG by giving you a way to improve the attributes and elements of the weapons you find, but in typical Sega fashion, they wanted to make the potential gains and losses a mystery. It didn't take long for people to figure out that +10% and +1 special tier were the best you could get, though, so the mystery devolved into arguing with the Tekker to get the ideal outcome.

Y
Many of Sega's choices rely on PSO being a black box where nobody understands its inner workings. Once you do, the design principles stop making sense. Paganini's guessing game is a prime example of this: Sega did it so that the things you could buy, and how much you had to spend to get them, would be a mystery. A decade later everybody knows what you can get, so the haggling is just obnoxious and serves no purpose.

The purpose of tekking was to help you beat the RNG by giving you a way to improve the attributes and elements of the weapons you find, but in typical Sega fashion, they wanted to make the potential gains and losses a mystery. It didn't take long for people to figure out that +10% and +1 special tier were the best you could get, though, so the mystery devolved into arguing with the Tekker to get the ideal outcome.
Yeah I guess they like to keep their mysteries, I remember when they finally found out that the SJS actually required kills to unseal! PSO is a really old game and one of the first of it's kind, so I guess in retrospective a lot of design choices are questionable.

Anyway my suggestion still stands. I think alot of people would enjoy this change.

Y

Yeah I guess they like to keep their mysteries, I remember when they finally found out that the SJS actually required kills to unseal! PSO is a really old game and one of the first of it's kind, so I guess in retrospective a lot of design choices are questionable.

Anyway my suggestion still stands. I think alot of people would enjoy this change.

I think at this point in the game, there's little to no mystery around tekking, and there's abundant guides on how to do it. Any errors due to being a new player are 100% avoidable.

Ives made a good point in that this would be no more "unfair" than making Paganini into a shop.

Totally agree with OP. Add a "best tek" option for 10K. Done.

Since tekking is so common it's really just a timesink to tek up properly. And just one misclick can ruin an item. I mistekked a 50H hell raygun by accident, luckily just a 1PD item, but still frustrating. Further, how many times have we seen new people not understand proper tekking and lose out on Hit on some good items?

For those that want to save money or tek to something else for aesthetics, go the old way.

Seems like a pretty marginal and reasonable QOL improvement.

The convenience aside, this does not seem necessary or like a really relevant issue. I agree with anime and I've come to appreciate the tekking process. It is a fundamental mechanic of the game that's one-of-a-kind. Many players already hunt with floor tickers that remove the mystery from the tekking process anyway - so add a max tekk button to boot? A bit gratuitous, not very vanilla.

Implementation is something else; your weapon, item, and armor shops have two functions, buy and sell. The tekker is so specialized all he can do is tekk! To add a 'max tekk' button is to question his very integrity. I refuse to do that. On many occasions I've received a perfect tekk on the first try. We have a good rapport going. All these tekkers like me!

Back