Money Can't Buy

raggamuffin

Guildcard
Time.

Friends offering me a new job. It's less hours but a Mon-Fri job. No more 4 on 4 off. But the times I'd work would double my travel times to and from work which would mean I'd basically spend the same 12 hours revolving around work each day but only have 2 days off.

The pay is substantially larger than my current employer and yet I am not tempted by the prospect of more money whilst sacrificing my free time.

My partner has 2 days off a week. I personally don't think I'd want to go back to living for the weekend again. It's all very well having more money, but if it means you sacrifice the time you get to spend it - I don't think it's a worthwhile trade off

Ed

Really depends if you value time or money. I left my old job because I felt I wasn't living -- I had money but I never had any time to myself: Get up at 4AM, arrive home at 4PM (or even later depending on if they asked more hours) and be in bed by 8PM for work. Sometimes my weekends got taken.

There's no reason to keep going for "better jobs" if you're happy where you are and have enough money to do / get what you want. There's a point where having more money doesn't really do anything for you unless getting more money is your overall goal in life.

You can make all the money in the world, but if you don't have the time to enjoy it, then what is it worth?

I feel like it's a superfluous addition to what Matt already said, but the phrasing helped me decide what I was going to do in a similar situation.

When you first mentioned the 4 on 4 off schedule on other post, I instantly though, "Wow, that sounds great!" =)
It depends if you'd enjoy the new job anymore than your current one- if so then it wouldn't feel like you are working more.

Back