Mag DEX -> ATA Question

Pyrois

Hello! I'm currently trying to plan out a rough roadmap for getting max stats and I've got a question about how the game translates a mag's DEX into ATA. I know it's "0.5 ATA/DEX", but it seems like the game is rounding that 0.5 up to the next point and that the ATA gain actually happens on odd values of DEX.

For example, on a fresh mag, there is no ATA bonus (obviously). Once its DEX hits 1, though, the mag is already providing 1 point of ATA. Then at 2 DEX, nothing changes, and at 3 DEX I get another ATA.

Is there anything else in the game that would give partial values of ATA that would interfere with this? I want to get 29 ATA from my mag, but I *think* I can get that at 57 DEX and just put an extra point into ATP. Should I go ahead and raise its DEX to 58 just to safeguard against any weird rounding problems or am I good to use that level elsewhere?

Thanks!

cameron-

fka jingle
Event Team
ATA growth is not as straightforward as the game suggests. You can level up and not see +1 ata or any difference in your start menu but your character gained a partial ATA value that might wash out into an integer value (as in your case) alongside other partial ATA values, such as your mag or a unit.

brionac

Alolan Fox
Here's a link that has some stats plans if you want to max out your character while looking into how ATA is calculated. ATA goes through 10 decimal points per ATA too, so that's something to think about when raising DEX on mags. Eg. 32.5 ATA rounds down to 32 ATA.

Last edited:

realnabarl

The game can count 0.5 ATA to your character, the true ATA is a four-digit-number, but for convenience the panel will devide it with 10 and only showing it as a three-digit-number and ignore the last digit after the point. If your char has 217 ATA, the true number could be at 2170-2179 (or you can say it is 217.0-217.9).

BTW: All level-ups will raise your ATA, but they may not be round numbers like 1 or 2. It could be 0.4 ATA or so, and the game will only show ATA+1 when the single unit changes.

So if your stat is not yellowed, all the ATA will be counted to your char, to your practice ability. You do not need to worry about there is something wasted. On maxed ATA, the number will always be end with a .0 (RAmar has 249 ATA maxed, so the actual number is 249.0), though.

The digit after the point can be easily checked by viewing the Status Calculator.

Last edited:

Pyrois

Ahh, I figured there was probably some rounding going on behind the scenes. I did some poking around in-game and on that calculator and I think I finally understand all of what you said. For anyone else reading this thread, I'll try to summarize:

• Your true ATA value is a number with 1 digit after the decimal point.
  • The character sheet simply truncates the decimal.
  • [Likely wrong and actually just an odd choice by the maker of the calculator, but who knows, tbh] Battle calculations take your true value and round it DOWN to the nearest 0.5, so there is a real difference between, say, 150.4 and 150.5 ATA.
As it turns out, at level 200, a HUcast's base ATA is 158.7, so leaving my mag at 57 DEX for the half-point is fine since the next level would be wasted... just not for quite as simple a reason as I thought initially. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

realnabarl

Battle calculations take your true value and round it DOWN to the nearest 0.5.
Probably not. It's just the Status Calculator like to show a 0.5 thing for users, probably the author think it's easier for people to arrange V101 etc... Best question the author why he did this. I think the number in the () is everything about the true practice ability so it never matters until your char's ATA reaches max.