Lore around Tech Disks?

FriendPie

I’ve been placing since launch on Dreamcast and I really don’t know what Tech Disks are in the world of PSO. I know using the Disk teaches you how to use the Technique, but does the game ever really go into what they are and how they give the knowledge to use Techniques, or why some Tech-abled races aren’t able to use certain techs (not talking about game balance)?

Pretty good question, but I'm pretty sure the answer is: no, I don't think the game ever delves into "how" tech disks give the knowledge to use techniques. However, in my head, it doesn't really work that way, since all techs just have an MST requirement (which is exactly how equipping weapons works). I might be wrong though, I've never played story mode all the way through.

With that said, various changes have been made to races over the versions of PSO. For example: in Blue Burst (Ephinea), HUnewearl cannot use reverser, grants or megid, at all, but she can use all other techs up to lvl 20. However, I remember quite clearly that my GC copy of PSO allowed HUnewearl to use all techs, including reverser, grants, and megid, but only up to lvl 15. More info about that can be found here (I don't think this info is in the Ephinea wiki).

This really doesn't have anything to do with your question, but I might never get another opportunity to point this out. There is a weapon in the game called "Prophets of Motav", a wand weapon that is a tome with some symbol on the cover. The weapon's flavor text reads:
"An ancient document left by the developers of techniques.
There may be secrets hidden inside..."
I only have my speculation as a fan, and not any confirmed lore, since all the Phantasy Star games love to hint at each other while the developers state they take place in a separate universes with similar themes. Techniques were first introduced in the series in Phantasy Star 2, which differentiated from Phantasy Star 1 where magic was used. The use of magic was 'lost' over the thousands of years between the original games until a character was able to use it in Phantasy Star 4, and in the meantime humanity developed Techniques.

In PS2, the game primarily takes place on a planet called 'Motavia', sometimes just called 'Mota' due to limitations. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that techniques were created on Motavia, and the Prophets of Motav was written there. The names are similar enough!

As for why disks... Well, I can think of game balance reasons they went with it as opposed to learning stronger techs on leveling up, but PSO's always been a fantasy world with a sci-fi coat of paint. Tomes and scrolls are oldschool. In a world of space travel, teleportation, and laser swords, you gotta have information stored on disks!

However, I remember quite clearly that my GC copy of PSO allowed HUnewearl to use all techs, including reverser, grants, and megid, but only up to lvl 15.
For what it's worth, this was Dreamcast, not Gamecube, so perhaps not remembering as clearly as you might think. :p

Good question, and cool tidbit of info there JackSalad. I love little details like that!

I've never given this much thought myself, but I always just assumed that the disks held the information to learn each tech, kind of like books. I've always seen techniques as both requiring a lot of intelligence due to their complexity to execute, but also spiritual wisdom in order to manipulate "nature" and the elements. This is why, in my mind, casts can't use techs and why non-force classes aren't scholarly enough to learn the more complex techs. I kind of see techs in this game like the force in Star Wars.

I doubt even the original developers gave this much thought honestly, but it's certainly something I think most of us take for granted. I've never really asked the why's, how's and what's of techs lol.

Back