JP PSO2

CeNedra

Woomy~
Guildcard
Anyone else here playing on the JP servers of PSO2? And if so what are your thoughts on it?

I'm playing on SHIP5 (・∀・)ノ, the game is the usual however lately it has gotten much more better thanks to the addition of the Challenge Mode, nowadays i'm just playing cmode and kinda ignoring the main game lol

Ship 5 eh? how is the English community on there? I went to Ship2 because all my friends are on there. Been actually playing since Closed Beta. For me right now PSO2 is kinda dull and boring, not enough content updates, lame dripfeeding to avoid level cap raising and other stuff. my 8 lv75/75 chars await a real level cap increase and not those SP COs and such.

I must say C-mode is nice but the 12 man part pretty much kills it for me, I loved C-mode on PSO1 as a 4 man party.

SHIP5 doesnt have english community as far I know it's a Japanese ship. I'm there because most of the teams and players from PSOBB JP decided to go to that specific ship back in the day when PSO2 started along with my friends from there, hence the reason why I decided to continue in the SHIP5 to this day.

The 12 man party in C-mode I think it's a nice addition, what I like the most is that you can pretty much use any weapon right there just like PSOBB it feels refreshing but with the PSO2 style, the game can be very very hectic too and still exciting (or at least much more exciting than the normal game that's for sure!)

Otherwise all you can do is to spam the usual daily CO's, level up quests, limited quests and that's it is not fun at all. Currently i'm playing BO/HU and HU/TE those are my main clases!

I stopped playing JP PSO2 about a month or two ago (whenever Gal Gryphon was released) after playing it for pretty much 3 years constantly, which is why I'm back on PSOBB, and coincidentally, here.

While PSO2 is a nice game at its core, I got really bored of it being something you grind, rather than something you play (if that makes sense). To progress in PSO2, you play very specific quests, wait for Emergencies to come up, play specific Client Orders to get your meseta and whathaveyou, instead of just playing whatever you feel like on BB (although naturally there's specific stuff you can do to get what you want, but it never feels like a necessity). Then there's how the dripfeed is coming along, so bad...

C-Mode was a great addition to PSO2 though, it's the only thing I log on for anymore. Have to agree that PSO1 CM is much nicer though, but I can't really tell you why. Once you learn 2C4 and all its oddities, nothing really compares. :p

Well C-mode 2 is a complete let down haha. First run I did on day one we cleared it. It's super fast paced and waaaaaay to easy. Also only 5 missions, by the time you finnaly get into it you clear it.

I still run PSO2 every now and then but the lack of content doesnt make me way to play it every day for hours like I used too since beta. I just run stuff every now and then with friends and tahts it ^^;

I wish PSO2 had quests like Lost Weapon Series, Endless Nightmares etc...

I think C-Mode 2 is great, but you gotta take all the miles instead of the VR/Box switches. :p It's a much different quest when you do that, although it's still lacking I think (mainly weapon/PA balance is much worse than CM1). Best to do it with friends, I've only cleared once so far like that.

And yes, the PSO quests and its free-play format is what really makes PSO fun I think.

I only ran it to unlock CM2 shop and get the Zieg units for free 60k CM and that's about it. I don't know if I want to get the title camo's yet, might try sometime.

And yeah PSO just has so much more varity and stuff to do. On PSOGC I used to hunt for my rares and get them after a while, on PSO2 I just gave up on even trying and just buy what I want.

@CeNedra - I completely understand how you feel. When it comes to markets, I always have mixed feelings. Creating an economy can be a wonderful thing for an MMORPG. However, with how open the worlds become through features, users seem to spread further apart. Compare people bustling through a crowded city versus those in an active town main street. In the city, everyone is surrounded by people, but how much do they really know about each other and what are the odds that they will actually run into someone they know?

Depending on how features such as a market are implemented, I believe it can actually damage core points of focus for an MMORPG, such as item hunting. In the case of PSO2, I find it comparable to that of early Diablo 3. I have not once hunted for an item, given I could save time and energy buying it. If I did not purchase items from the market, I would be giving myself a handicap which I'm sure no one else would adopt.

Granted, not having a centralized market sounds like a dated circumstance. However, when looking back, I remember making friends in PSO while I was on 'the quest to find THE rare item of my dreams'. It's hard to forget the many rooms I've made, hours I've grinded, and people I've met, all to find that one item worth bragging about. Not only does it bring value to an otherwise worthless piece of data, but it builds character as it permits room for personal growth.

I have felt this way about modern gaming for a long time.
Removing mundane aspects of a game will always be welcome, but what are they really removing here?

It's not just about having player shops (imo that's not even the issue with rare items hunting on PSO2), there's just way too many random elements to rare item hunting on PSO2, and the way quests are (not) designed in PSO2 makes it just not fun to hunt for items.

First about there being too many random elements, not only the drop rates are usually way too low for it to even be fun to hunt for these, there's quite a few rare items that aren't even huntable, they're locked away on quests that can only be played through small periods of time at random times (unless scheduled), the emergency quests.

Outside of EQs, the better rare items are obtainable on multi-party quests, quests where groups of 12 players run in circles mindlessly defeating enemies, with 12 players there's no skill involved in running these, imo there's too much chaos going on at once to see what is even happening, too many shiny effects from 12 players attacking the enemies and such. These quests don't feel like dungeons either, with the way they're designed for large groups of players to run in circles defeating enemies, they feel more like "farms", as in, designed solely for players to farm for rare items, there's no sense of progression through these quests.

Quests wise, I feel that what PSO2 is lacking the most is quests that are more like PSO1 and PSU, that is...
- single party quests, quests that can be done with a max of 4 players, but can also be done with smaller groups, like 3, 2, or even solo, one of the biggest problem of 12 player quests is that these games are more fun when playing with friends, but in 12 player quests a player has to rely in random people (it's much easier to get a group of 3 friends to play than 11, after all)...
- quests that are pick and play friendly, being able to join anytime during the run, the advance quests on PSO2 with their capsules restrictions make them the complete opposite of this...
- quests that can't just be rushed to the end or where their goal is not simply running in circles until a set number of points is acquired...
- quests that use set maps instead of being completely randomly generated, areas that actually feel like a location, and sections that need some sort of co-operation would be nice too (switches that need 4 players to reach a certain optional location and such)... the way PSO1 did the free areas was the best one imo, a few variations for each area and randomly choosing one for each run...
- quests that are somewhat long, I'd say at least 40+ minutes long, most quests in just PSO2 feel too short...
- and of course each of the quests would need items worth hunting in them.

TAs den is probably the closest to what I'd want to have more of in PSO2, except that it's locked to randomly/rarely appearing for those who run time attack quests...

Back