Introducing... Classic mode! (クラシックモード実装のお知らせ)

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
Sorry to keep you waiting.
> Everybody

Maintenance took a bit longer than expected... But, the good news is, a new feature has come to Ephinea for those who wish to partake! A "classic" ship!

The new ship is called "US/Devaloka" and located in the same region as Auldrant.

The classic ship is essentially a snapshot of the game before Episode 4 was released on Blue Burst - Blue Burst did not initially release with Episode 4! Note that it is not designed to replicate GameCube, but it will be similar!

The main changes to the classic ship are as follows:

- Episode IV has been removed.
- Episode IV items are unobtainable.
- The rare drop table on the classic ship is identical to the Gamecube/Xbox versions of PSO. You can see the drop table here: https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/classic-charts/normal/
- Anguish has been removed.
- Experience share is always on.
- PSO2 drops are always on.
- All rates are 1x. There are no boosts to experience, drop, rare drop, or rare monster rates.
- Luck boosts do not exist, even the weekly Ephinea boosts are discarded on the classic ship.
- Coren will not gamble with you.
- Player names will always be white, excluding GMs.
- If you have a hardcore account or sandbox account, you CAN make a character and play on the classic ship, but that character will behave like a normal character on the classic ship.
- To that effect, when logging in, your character's name color on the character select screen will now change based on the type of character it is.
- Events throughout the year will run mostly like SEGA events with only changes to the Rappies and certain event themed SEGA quests appearing. There will not be special Ephinea event items dropping on the classic ship.
- Ephinea's custom music discs WILL still drop on the classic ship.
- Hunter's Boost Road does not exist.
- Original Blue Burst level requirements for difficulty have been reinstated. (For episode 1, that means the level requirements are 20, 50, and 90 for Hard, Very Hard and Ultimate, respectively. For episode 2, the level requirements are 30, 60, and 100 for Hard, Very Hard, and Ultimate, respectively.)
- In comparison to the other ships, a good amount of fan-made content has been removed from the classic ship for being, for lack of a better work, JANK. Some notable SEGA quests, like Towards the Future and Respective Tomorrow, for example, have also been removed. These quests may return for limited time during special classic ship events.

Some things to note:

- Characters who have created or joined games on other ships may not create or join games on the classic ship.
- Characters who have created or joined games on classic ships may not create or join games on other ships.
- Basically, you'll need a fresh character to play on the classic ship.
- Also, classic ship characters have their own shared bank. The items in this bank cannot be accessed by characters that have created or joined games on other ships.
- Even though experience sharing and PSO2 drops are not truly "classic", per se, we imagine the majority of players would rather not go back to the old ways of tagging enemies and shared drops.

Lastly, and this affects all characters on all ships, the ability to change your section ID is once again being limited to one time before level 20. Because of this change, we are allowing all characters of all levels a free ONE TIME section ID change to a permanent ID change. Once you use this special change, you will NOT be able to change your section ID again.

We may provide special section ID changes to all characters again in the future should the drop tables change on the non-classic ships. This is up to our discretion, however.

As always we thank you for playing on Ephinea! We hope you enjoy the classic ship!

Update: With v1382, name color changes based on character type at the character selection process.

̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
お待たせ。
> みんな

メンテナンスが予定より少し長引いてしまいました…。しかし、朗報です! Ephineaに新機能「クラシック」シップが登場しました!

クラシックシップの詳細はこちら(和訳)
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/23369/

セクションIDに関する変更点

セクションIDを変更できる「/modsecid」コマンドの使用が制限されます。レベル20未満のキャラクターのみ、かつ1回までになります。
この変更に伴い、全レベルの全キャラクターに対し、「/modsecid」を1回実行できる権利を付与しました。 この変更を行うとそれ以降は、セクションIDの変更ができなくなります。
今後、ドロップテーブルが変更された場合、同じようにセクションID変更権を提供する可能性がありますが、裁量により決定させていただきます。

いつもEphineaで遊んでいただき、ありがとうございます。あわせてクラシックシップをお楽しみ頂ければ幸いです!

更新: v1382でキャラクター選択時にモードによって名前の表示色を変更するようにしました。

Last edited:
This is great and really interests me since im a player that finds Dark Flow in particular an item that completely goes against the flow of gameplay forcing the support to not heal anyone. As well as being extremely overpowered and unbalanced. HS to a certain degree also being overpowered. Ive always felt the game would be a bit funner without atleast Dark Flow, or with some sort of item or modification that makes it not interupt gameplay so much. (Such as a /noresta command, unit, etc).

I think the changes that are made are definitely interesting, however i feel that there is a bit too many restrictions for what amounts to little to no reward, as well as splitting the economy to a third version when we were already are having a hard time getting HardCore players to trade with one another due to lack of players.

I will 100% be playing this new mode however and i find it to be a fun addition and reason to start fresh along with many others. I hope it remains popular and thank you for adding it!

This is such a great idea, will be trying this out later for sure! You're right about the PSO 2 exp sharing and drops, I for one wouldn't want to go back to the older ways. Thank you for making this!

This is absolutely a beautiful thing, Soda! You'll make so many people happy with this!
It feels like you followed the pulse back to the beating heart of PSO, and there truly is honor in that. This is something I could subconsciously feel myself craving for a long time now.

Thank you!! ❤

Character select name colors now change with v1382.

Added update to note above.

My intensive was that the mode sounds interesting as its more in line with my old PSO tendencies, but ultimately other people's interests were going to dictate if I were going to bother with the mode. As it happens there's already a surprising amount of people who crave it.

Naturally I'll continue on the regular mode but I'm definitely doing this too. Thanks for giving spice to the server.

The ID change restriction was not necessary. Way to shoot over the goal post..
Agreed, where's my community of people with funny character names such as Ender_ and Matt`-?

Modsecid should be totally removed to bring back that true classic feel! Thanks for letting us understand what needs to be done!

It's like a season's 2....but permanent and all good with no rewards/bonuses.
Boom flipping sweet!!!! thank you.

Suit yourself. If it makes you feel happier, you can talk down to me. There was nothing needed to be done, but you did anyway =) I'm not the only one who thinks like that. The others simply don't dare speaking up.

Is there any practical reasoning to that change you would be willing to reveal? Who profits from it? What about solo players?

EDIT:
Just to be clear, you put the "classic" word in my mouth. Nice trick.. Really nice trick.
Edited the whole post a little.

They weren't talking you down at all, though.

Let's all just calm down here, seeing the average age should be somewhere around 30 and thus let's all be adults and keep the drama to a minimum.

Is there any practical reasoning to that change you would be willing to reveal? Who profits from it? What about solo players?
Nobody profits from it, the change was done to put the server more in line with what it should be.

It's very simple: Ephinea was originally advertised as a vanilla server with some improvements/changes, we've made changes over the years, and feel we ventured too far from the original vision with some changes. This was one of the things that we decided interfered with that.

Everyone has different opinions about the section ID thing, and we are also very well aware that it will most likely be more unpopular than popular, but that's fine by us, we're not trying to cater to the community to boost play time or player numbers, as we're not a business trying to look good or make money. This is a very common misconception by players; we're trying to make a server that's about the best PSO experience, and nothing more.

Further, the original reply was not meant to be condescending or talking down to you in any way, so I apologise for that, I just wanted to make a(n un)funny joke.

It's very simple: Ephinea was originally advertised as a vanilla server with some improvements/changes, we've made changes over the years, and feel we ventured too far from the original vision with some changes.
I completely agree. Some of the changes have been baffling to me. Such as skin items making equipment look like something it's not, which is indeed not even slightly vanilla, and only serves to confuse. And pointless new weapons such as the "Rage de Useless" series.

I honestly think that at least half of the classic mode changes would have been better off just applied to the main ships (such as getting rid of anguish/luck boosts, and the above) etc. I mean is another mode to further divide a small community really the best way to go? I'd prefer the main ships be fixed, rather than emigrating to a new mode.

However, regarding the section ID changes, I personally believe that was actually one of the more positive QoL changes.

But anyway, regarding the JANK fan-made quests (another point I massively agree with)... Would it at least be possible to implement something to quickly differentiate official Sega quests from fan-made? Such as different color title text in the guild list? Or having them all in a "fan-made" category, instead of mixing them in with official Sega quests.

Last edited:
An interesting feature to say the least.
Kinda wondering, since I was working on a project of a similar Calibur myself before I was derailed into real life projects: why did you decide to exclude the areas and enemies of Episode IV?

I can understand removing the items (top complaint) but it from all the data I've gathered it always seemed as though people were fine with the areas and the enemies of Episode IV. Perhaps your community's opinions are different but as far as I know (unless you just didn't want to bother trying to re-balance Episode IV EXP and monster stats which I totally understand as its an annoying process) keeping Episode IV (as in enemies and areas) wouldn't really detriment the experience all that much?

Interested in hearing your thoughts. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.

An interesting feature to say the least.
Kinda wondering, since I was working on a project of a similar Calibur myself before I was derailed into real life projects: why did you decide to exclude the areas and enemies of Episode IV?

I can understand removing the items (top complaint) but it from all the data I've gathered it always seemed as though people were fine with the areas and the enemies of Episode IV. Perhaps your community's opinions are different but as far as I know (unless you just didn't want to bother trying to re-balance Episode IV EXP and monster stats which I totally understand as its an annoying process) keeping Episode IV (as in enemies and areas) wouldn't really detriment the experience all that much?

Interested in hearing your thoughts. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.

Don't exp rates in EP4 mog anything the other episodes can do?

And pointless new weapons such as the "Rage de Useless" series.
Just FYI, these aren't "new" weapons. All four Rage weapons were vanilla; they had different specials and the same name, and that was confusing, so we changed the names of three of them. We didn't add any new Rage weapons.

Back