I was wrong about Seasons...

Though a complete no-doll-season does sound interesting @TaoChaos , I would play but I doubt many would and no one would play risky, except a few like me and most likely we would die
I'm thinking a SAO type situation, y'know?
Plus, it seems to me that after a few seasons, the allure is going to fade. Grinding to Ult is fun a couple times, but every 3 months? If the seasonal player base is slowly being wiped, it refills the regular player base, while also giving us a chance to follow/root for the surviving players.
#edit: and on a side note, I would totally play it, but probably die in 5-10 minutes like I did this season.

To be fair I'm not really a fan of HC's implementation since PSO is a long-grind game, and think it should probably be reverted to be the same as other games, that is:

You get one life (maybe you can buy extra lives at certain level milestones as a buffer). As soon as you die, your character is removed from Hardcore-specific leaderboards, loses its name colour and becomes a regular player. Essentially, the thrill of HC is there and its all for bragging rights, instead of boosts. (there would be no boosts with a system like this)

The fact that HC can play with regular players also kind of diminishes the hardcore factor a little bit, you usually can't in other games so everyone is always in danger, not just you. However, it had to change in PSO because due to this game being really small, it was very difficult to play with other people in the first place.

Permadeath mechanics are usually reserved for roguelikes, where the game itself is not too long and it's different everytime. Permadeath in long-time investment games is generally not great design.

But Seasons HC won't get a boost. The idea is that everyone starts together and plays the same pace. If there were ever to be boosts in Seasons for whatever reason, they would be obtainable by everyone.

You get one life (maybe you can buy extra lives at certain level milestones as a buffer). As soon as you die, your character is removed from Hardcore-specific leaderboards, loses its name colour and becomes a regular player. Essentially, the thrill of HC is there and its all for bragging rights, instead of boosts. (there would be no boosts with a system like this)

I like this idea.

I don't understand the draw of HC, any HC player I've gamed with has openly warned they are going to alt-tab out if they become endangered. PSO is a game you need to invest hours and hours in to progress. Why spend all that time on a character who could potentially die. The nature of PSO's gameplay has always yielded unexpected deaths at any level.

Well you will only lose a character if you are careless.

I have never lost a major character whatsoever.

The thing is, without the risk of death, the game is boring, as it becomes just a grinding, item hunting game to me.

It is a buzz doing risky quests, and managing not to die, there isn't a feeling like it.

Double exp and slightly better drops is incentive enough for people to play as well.

Also the HC community is fairly tight as well, that is another reason why HC is a good mode to play.

"Permadeath mechanics are usually reserved for roguelikes, where the game itself is not too long and it's different everytime. Permadeath in long-time investment games is generally not great design"

I think a rouge like mode for PSO would be cool.

I find it interesting that so many people find their independent PSO experience so dependent on other people's PSO experience.

This seasons idea satisfies people who want to start over, but want everyone to start over with them. I'm sure many of us have started new characters countless times in the past, and I've personally placed silly challenges in myself over the years just to make the game a little more exciting. Things like leveling a character with no rares at all, or gearing a character up with only things that I find on that character without buying or trading, etc.

The thing about that is most people don't want to play at a disadvantage on their own if everyone else gets to play with the boosts, or if everyone else is going to have better gear, or if they're not recognized for even doing something challenging in the first place. I haven't actually sat down to really play PSO in a long time, but the seasons idea seems cool. I just find it interesting how it seems people focus so much on how it affects everyone else, besides themselves, and why it's so imperative that everyone starts clean together. There's a clear and definitive difference between a server season, and your own personal "I'm bored" season. Unfortunately, it's not convinced me to come back yet though.

Back