Hucast Master Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read back through a lot of this and I'm irritated by this notion that if you're unhappy with an aspect of a video game, or an entire video game, or games in general, people assume you're just depressed.

It's possible to become unhappy by seeing something that's actually true and just not knowing how to deal with it. In my case, it's the recognition of the pattern that, even when an RPG / Class Based / Fighting game (basically any game with a variance in characters or abilities) has the appearance of being fresh and new, there's some meta underlying it that makes 90% of the game's content irrelevant. Even if the game is brand new, it doesn't matter. There's plenty of people who have 12+ hours a day to game and they'll have the game picked apart before you even get home and get it installed.

It is THAT notion about gaming, the false impression of variety, that makes me sad. This doesn't mean I'm depressed. The concern I have is in regards to a state of affairs that is true. I've probably thought about it more than most people, and I'm guessing my sadness with this notion is proportionate to the amount I've considered it. Meaning: anyone else who thinks down this same path will probably feel the same way I do.

Some good points were made about simply enjoying the game the way you want to, but the negative underlying state of affairs remains intact, even if you choose to ignore it.

The fact that people don't think deeply about things doesn't mean I'm depressed. It means they're dumb. Or they don't care. Or both. And I think deeply about everything because I have a brain and I got the opportunity to live as a sentient being when the other 99.999999% of the universe is inanimate matter. I cherish being able to think. I wish I was better at it, but the fact that I can do it at all is remarkable.

Edit: I'm also irritated by this idea that individuals such as Liberalce propagate that if you lose an argument that you're somehow a scrub. Or that you got "served," or that your street cred has been damaged. Losing an argument is a good thing because you now know what's true. I think the entire internet has forgotten that or has too much pride. I'm glad he's happy about his win. It may have been the only good thing that happened to him that entire day, and I found out I was wrong about the past records. I'm no worse off than him now because we both know the same information. The fact that he knew it earlier than me is irrelevant because we both know it now. (There are obviously times where it's critical that you have the correct information before someone else, but this isn't one of them.)

I hate comparing myself to Socrates because Ryan likes to take it out of context and make fun of me on his hidden website for doing so, but I do take comfort in knowing that a lot of people hated Socrates just for thinking a lot. It's happened all throughout history. Granted, he was way better at thinking than I am, but I'm trying. I'd rather be the guy that everyone hates but can think for himself, and isn't afraid to stumble and fall in front of others, than part of the 500+ jurors who sentenced him to death because thinking is scary.

Last edited:
“there's some meta underlying it that makes 90% of the game's content irrelevant.”

If you can mathematically balance variety, it becomes an equality. In games like this there will always be a couple of best classes, and even one overall. Without the constant release of new content these types of games are bound to become stale overtime if you play towards the meta.
On the other hand that 90% of game content is the 90% of content it takes to reach that plateau.

“...people dont think deeply... It means they’re dumb. Or they don’t care. Or both.”

Don’t sling insults because people don’t want to look down on their gaming experience in this fashion. This game is great and you can play it in whatever way you feel just like any other mmo/rpg. All games will plateau if you gun for it.

Please stop reading into this and let it go. You’re not wrong for your perspective, but it is not solvable so please don't burden us with it.

I wasn't meaning to insult anyone. I'm just saying that IF someone think I'm dumb for thinking this way, then they're dumb. I didn't say anything about gaming that was incorrect in that post. So it would be dumb for someone to think that I'm dumb for reaching this conclusion. This explanation was dumb so I'm sorry.

I think I knew this wasn't solvable the moment I realized it was a problem, so I do feel bad for talking about it. I was hoping maybe someone had an idea about it. Games will probably always be this way, so that kinda sucks. Maybe if developers were better they could get abilities / characters within like .000001% of each other so nobody would notice. Maybe THAT is possible, but game devs need to test their games better if they ever want this. I don't think they care enough right now.

They know that 99% of gamers won't ever worry about this and they'll still get paid, so whatever.

I wasn't meaning to insult anyone. I'm just saying that IF someone think I'm dumb for thinking this way, then they're dumb.

You definitely aren’t dumb. The way you are talking implies that your view is higher than anyone else’s. That is never a healthy thing to assume, comparing yourself as a deeper thinker than most and like Socrates. An intelligent and wise man would never flaunt his knowledge as superlative.

You definitely aren’t dumb. The way you are talking implies that your view is higher than anyone else’s. That is never a healthy thing to assume, comparing yourself as a deeper thinker than most and like Socrates. An intelligent and wise man would never flaunt his knowlegde as superlative.

I clearly said he's a better thinker than I am. He also said "the un-examined life is not worth living" which is a nice way of saying that people who don't think are dumb, so I stand by what I said. Socrates' presentation was just better.

This counts for me... What counts for you? For me it feels you might thought too much about it...way too much. Is there something to win, why not arrange with the things as they are? Guess you still have the option to make Adinea and make your own rules... Or find your way with or without df users without breaking your mind ;) 14199766_10154445859612731_4603154846547313025_n.jpg

Reactions: Ade
This counts for me... What counts for you? For me it feels you might thought too much about it...way too much. Is there something to win, why not arrange with the things as they are? Guess you still have the option to make Adinea and make your own rules... Or find your way with or without df users without breaking your mind ;) View attachment 9286

Well, even if I made my own server, for example, my own inexperience as a developer would make it impossible for me to make it balanced. The meta would just shift over to something else. The problem remains.

Sorry that I responded while you were editing. My bad =3

I read back through a lot of this and I'm irritated by this notion that if you're unhappy with an aspect of a video game, or an entire video game, or games in general, people assume you're just depressed.

It's possible to become unhappy by seeing something that's actually true and just not knowing how to deal with it. In my case, it's the recognition of the pattern that, even when an RPG / Class Based / Fighting game (basically any game with a variance in characters or abilities) has the appearance of being fresh and new, there's some meta underlying it that makes 90% of the game's content irrelevant. Even if the game is brand new, it doesn't matter. There's plenty of people who have 12+ hours a day to game and they'll have the game picked apart before you even get home and get it installed.

It is THAT notion about gaming, the false impression of variety, that makes me sad. This doesn't mean I'm depressed. The concern I have is in regards to a state of affairs that is true. I've probably thought about it more than most people, and I'm guessing my sadness with this notion is proportionate to the amount I've considered it. Meaning: anyone else who thinks down this same path will probably feel the same way I do.

Some good points were made about simply enjoying the game the way you want to, but the negative underlying state of affairs remains intact, even if you choose to ignore it.

The fact that people don't think deeply about things doesn't mean I'm depressed. It means they're dumb. Or they don't care. Or both. And I think deeply about everything because I have a brain and I got the opportunity to live as a sentient being when the other 99.999999% of the universe is inanimate matter. I cherish being able to think. I wish I was better at it, but the fact that I can do it at all is remarkable.

Edit: I'm also irritated by this idea that individuals such as Liberalce propagate that if you lose an argument that you're somehow a scrub. Or that you got "served," or that your street cred has been damaged. Losing an argument is a good thing because you now know what's true. I think the entire internet has forgotten that or has too much pride. I'm glad he's happy about his win. It may have been the only good thing that happened to him that entire day, and I found out I was wrong about the past records. I'm no worse off than him now because we both know the same information. The fact that he knew it earlier than me is irrelevant because we both know it now. (There are obviously times where it's critical that you have the correct information before someone else, but this isn't one of them.)

I hate comparing myself to Socrates because Ryan likes to take it out of context and make fun of me on his hidden website for doing so, but I do take comfort in knowing that a lot of people hated Socrates just for thinking a lot. It's happened all throughout history. Granted, he was way better at thinking than I am, but I'm trying. I'd rather be the guy that everyone hates but can think for himself, and isn't afraid to stumble and fall in front of others, than part of the 500+ jurors who sentenced him to death because thinking is scary.

speak to a therapist

its not that deep

Let's remember to stay respectful ;) If there was a topic in this thread, I'd say you guys are straying from it

Even with all the experience, it is impossible to balance an equation with as many different variables as a instance based video game filled with variety. To think otherwise is maddening.

@Ade I apologize, no need to excuse. just wanted you to take note. I have thought about df as well but... I think it might be too late to discuss here (a experienced force once told me how she reacts when it gets too much for her/the party and a df user:she stops the support for it, so even if the meta can't be changed...)
And wtf is going on here, this community is alive. xd
@Hardwood editing you in rl means?... xd

Nobody hates you for 'thinking a lot', you've been reiterating the same points for over 5 years at this point with almost no variation.

<03:07:07> "Ade": for me meta gaming is depressing because it appears to be a return to the base form of human existence; the caveman who just wants to use things to survive, never truly enjoying anything

You believe your own preferences are superior and consider those who differ to be inferior human beings. You hate Min/Maxing because it ruins your immersion and reminds you 'it's all 1s and 0s'. You claim people who enjoy efficient play have some sort of moral fault. Even if you recognize utility is different for others, you proceed to demean and bemoan them as unenlightened because their utility is different from yours.

Your years long argument is essentially that other people playing different makes you feel bad. Your enjoyment of a game is inextricably tied to the actions of others, even if you never interact with them in the game itself. Instead of attempting to find some intrinsic motivation for yourself, you obsess over what other people do and complain about it.

Let's look at this thread; You made a positive claim about racast being better than hucast, it was shown (empirically, however if that's not good enough we can talk about the ATP-based damage calculations and Vjaya special in the abstract, for example) that you were wrong.
Instead of accepting it and moving on like a normal person, you throw a pity party about how sad you are that optimization problems exist and people enjoy solving them, shift to normative claims about how people should play the game or how games should be made or balanced etcetc. Accompanying this is all the seemly false humility about learning through being wrong, then the persecution complex for 'daring to think, much like socrates, to the disdain of the unenlightened masses' happens, as we can see from this page. It's the same cycle over and over and it adds nothing to the game or the community.

Nobody hates you for 'thinking a lot', you've been reiterating the same points for over 5 years at this point with almost no variation.

You believe your own preferences are superior and consider those who differ to be inferior human beings. You hate Min/Maxing because it ruins your immersion and reminds you 'it's all 1s and 0s'. You claim people who enjoy efficient play have some sort of moral fault. Even if you recognize utility is different for others, you proceed to demean and bemoan them as unenlightened because their utility is different from yours.

Your years long argument is essentially that other people playing different makes you feel bad. Your enjoyment of a game is inextricably tied to the actions of others, even if you never interact with them in the game itself. Instead of attempting to find some intrinsic motivation for yourself, you obsess over what other people do and complain about it.

Let's look at this thread; You made a positive claim about racast being better than hucast, it was shown (empirically, however if that's not good enough we can talk about the ATP-based damage calculations and Vjaya special in the abstract, for example) that you were wrong.
Instead of accepting it and moving on like a normal person, you throw a pity party about how sad you are that optimization problems exist and people enjoy solving them, shift to normative claims about how people should play the game or how games should be made or balanced etcetc. Accompanying this is all the seemly false humility about learning through being wrong, then the persecution complex for 'daring to think, much like socrates, to the disdain of the unenlightened masses' happens, as we can see from this page. It's the same cycle over and over and it adds nothing to the game or the community.

The humility isn't false. Don't make assumptions, dick.

I don't consider optimization problems to be "solved" when a game gets picked apart. This is what makes games less fun. I personally find people who play games this way to be robotic and inhuman because they're usually elitist and arrogant like you.

Go solve some optimization problems that actually make life better for people and leave games alone.

I quoted this sentence because I think it pretty much comes all down to this and might be your meta-argument if you want to call it that way. In this aspect a 'negative state of affairs' is an interpretational one and if you have read any post-modern philosopher (if we are going that way) you know that there is an infinite number of ways to interpret the truth. If there is an optimal way of playing a certain amount of quests which needs a lot of skill, does that have to be a bad thing? (Talking about DF'ing as a HUcast because I think you mean this. In this sentence you are not concrete enough though so I might be wrong on what you mean specifically).

An other argument and perhaps an even more important one is that everything in life has a negative underlying state of affairs if you want to call it that way and you can even get even nihilistic and cynical about that, that is not exclusive to PSO and its meta. I mean, in about 10 million years the things we do now have no impact whatsoever. If that is your time reference to have done anything usefull however then there might be something wrong with this perspective. This state of mind would mostly bother yourself instead of helping out and is therefore undesirable. The same can be said about the way you tend to look at the game as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back