How much should a mag cost? Why?

The cost of the mag in meseta, the time investment charge & then some actual profit.
Not so cheap that a completely new player can get one, but affordable enough for people to get them for alts.

The current market is fine as it is.

The cost of the mag in meseta, the time investment charge & then some actual profit.
Not so cheap that a completely new player can get one, but affordable enough for people to get them for alts.

The current market is fine as it is.
Yeah, there's no way a fully leveled mag would cost 1pd. I think the market is fine as it is also.

Currently there's barely any profit considering the time and meseta it takes to finish them, unless you make a lot at once ofc, but I also think their current price is fine and it's a nice way to transform some of that extra meseta into pds.

Much like anything, the value of an item isn't determined by it's selling price, but by what someone is willing to pay for it.

It doesn't matter what the seller believes what something is worth (based on expenses, time, profit), not many buyers will respect it because everyone is always looking for "a discount".

Time for the non-glamorous answer that everyone knows but nobody wants to hear:
Time for the non-glamorous answer that everyone knows but nobody wants to hear:

The market decides :3
When the MAG feeding script tool had wormed it's way into Ephinea, it caused Passionate players who 'Hand fed" their MAGs and took great pride and efforts in their craft to 'QUIT' PSO. And they were staunch in pricing their 200 level SATOS/Nidras (5 DEF/45 DEX/150 POW/0 MIND) (5 DEF/45 DEX/0 POW/150 MIND) MAGS and similar for only 3PDs. If and when they return (Team MAG Daycare) The prices will prolly remain the same~! so yeah.... 3PDs =3

When the MAG feeding script tool had wormed it's way into Ephinea, it caused Passionate players who 'Hand fed" their MAGs and took great pride and efforts in their craft to 'QUIT' PSO. And they were staunch in pricing their 200 level SATOS/Nidras (5 DEF/45 DEX/150 POW/0 MIND) (5 DEF/45 DEX/0 POW/150 MIND) MAGS and similar for only 3PDs. If and when they return (Team MAG Daycare) The prices will prolly remain the same~! so yeah.... 3PDs =3
I have always been against scripts/multiboxing, especially in online games, so those changes certainly made me feel a little more proud for taking 1+ week making my mags the hard way while I try to study CSS.

It will take some time, but as the large inventories of scripted mags get sold off, eventually prices might go up a little. But because most new characters will ever need maybe two mags (tops), it may take several years for this to happen.

Giving some of the worst classes max stats boosts would alleviate this problem because it would mean all new mags are required. So if there was ever a time the Admins wanted to break the vanilla mold for the purposes of stimulating the economy, this would be it.

Unfortunately, it's my understanding that decisions on this server are not made with the economy in mind. And perhaps wishing for that comes with a new set of problems.

E2 mags hurt other mags due to the (massive) reduction in time/meseta needed to feed. So while a regular mag is probably worth 5-7 PDs, it'll likely never be worth more than 4. Doubt most people care about the extra effort needed to get mat plan "unique" mags (uncommon evos) either though I could see custom shops getting away with 5.

Similarly, I think an E2 Mag is worth 4, but I'm not sure the market will ever correct to that due to existing stockpiles / old characters. Pretty sure plenty of folks (ie me) just raise their own if they find a new mag is needed so it isn't like demand is huge either.

It will take some time, but as the large inventories of scripted mags get sold off, eventually prices might go up a little. But because most new characters will ever need maybe two mags (tops), it may take several years for this to happen.

Giving some of the worst classes max stats boosts would alleviate this problem because it would mean all new mags are required. So if there was ever a time the Admins wanted to break the vanilla mold for the purposes of stimulating the economy, this would be it.

Unfortunately, it's my understanding that decisions on this server are not made with the economy in mind. And perhaps wishing for that comes with a new set of problems.
Given that I hand-raise my mags, and I'm 3 mags away from finishing all of my character mags, and have used some quite pricey mag cells in the last few months, this would be very bad for me.

Not to devolve the thread into a suggested changes thread, but I'm also against this just because it would be a fundamental change to the game. I think it would, however, be loads of fun to have something seasonal where there was a server with unique properties similar to classic mode, where settings got changed on a whim at any time. Change max stats for a month. Unlock all weapons for a couple weeks. Buff G assassin sabers permanently. That sort of thing. Give us an outlet for our crazy desires without impacting main game.

Back on topic... mag price should probably eventually stabilize to 3-5pd for basic options. I'd call 3 for a cell mag (plus the cell), up to 5 for a 4th evolution with a bad table. Any higher and there's no reason to buy when you can raise your own in short order. Any cheaper and you are barely covering food costs.

Given that I hand-raise my mags, and I'm 3 mags away from finishing all of my character mags, and have used some quite pricey mag cells in the last few months, this would be very bad for me.

Not to devolve the thread into a suggested changes thread, but I'm also against this just because it would be a fundamental change to the game. I think it would, however, be loads of fun to have something seasonal where there was a server with unique properties similar to classic mode, where settings got changed on a whim at any time. Change max stats for a month. Unlock all weapons for a couple weeks. Buff G assassin sabers permanently. That sort of thing. Give us an outlet for our crazy desires without impacting main game.

Back on topic... mag price should probably eventually stabilize to 3-5pd for basic options. I'd call 3 for a cell mag (plus the cell), up to 5 for a 4th evolution with a bad table. Any higher and there's no reason to buy when you can raise your own in short order. Any cheaper and you are barely covering food costs.

I'm not saying it should happen, either. It's the only way that a spike in Mag demand would occur, is all I was saying.

I'm not saying it should happen, either. It's the only way that a spike in Mag demand would occur, is all I was saying.
You could get someone to buy up mags and ditch them to drive up demand.

This is called market manipulation. :3

(Which isn't illegal on PSO, but it sure would be wasteful.)
I mean, yeah. I assumed that's what you had in mind when you talked about decisions on the server made with the economy in mind.

I mean, yeah. I assumed that's what you had in mind when you talked about decisions on the server made with the economy in mind.

Ah. I didn't mean it like that. But that is funny:

When it's done by someone in an official position, it's called "monetary policy."

When it's done by an individual, it's called "market manipulation."

Heh. Never thought of it like that.

Ah. I didn't mean it like that. But that is funny:

When it's done by someone in an official position, it's called "monetary policy."

When it's done by an individual, it's called "market manipulation."

Heh. Never thought of it like that.
In Diablo II, officials incentivized players to remove Stone of Jordan (the defacto market currency) from the market by selling them to the in-game vendors. They did it by spawning Uber Diablo in every active Hell-difficulty game whenever the players on the server collectively sold between 75 and 120 SoJs. Sometimes market manipulation and monetary policy can go hand-in-hand.

Reactions: Ade
Back