Hey I'm Helmic.

Helmic

Guildcard
Some of you may have seen me around on the Discord. I played back on SCHTserv sometime around 2007-2008 and nostalgia has brought me back. Mostly trying to level and get some decent gear so I can actually contribute worth a damn in Ultimate. Also trying to find a team that's fun to hang out with.

I do computer repair for a living and I like tinkering with stuff in general. I play using a Steam Controller that I also like to tinker with, actually collaborating with some dude on /r/SteamController to make a guide for developers and config creators. I like talking about game design and appreciating games in general.

Welcome to the server buddy, I always wondered how the steam controller faired vs regular controllers, i never understood the ergonomixs of it. :p

Yeah you should find a team fairly easy, specially if your on discord (theres a ephinea discord btw) probably get picked up in a second. n.n

Anyway hope you enjoy the server, if you got questions feel free to ask. [n.n]

Heyo! We've actually met online already; Eiskaffee here. =)

What kind of game design are you talking about - video games, board games, or "design" in general? Really curious!

Welcome to ephinea!

Always fun to tinker :3

Welcome to the server buddy, I always wondered how the steam controller faired vs regular controllers, i never understood the ergonomixs of it. :p

Yeah you should find a team fairly easy, specially if your on discord (theres a ephinea discord btw) probably get picked up in a second. n.n

Anyway hope you enjoy the server, if you got questions feel free to ask. [n.n]

SC's ergonomics are a bit weird at first but you acclimate pretty quickly if you're used to laptop touchpads. Once you adapt, it's easily the best controller available, hands down, much less one that you can get for $35 on sale. People don't bring up the built-in gyroscope enough, you can use it alongside the touchpad to aim really well in games.

For PSO, the touchpads are handy because you can use an overlay menu to select from up to 16-20 buttons per pad (and you can modeshift them for a total of 80 buttons). I've got the right pad set up as the arrow keys (they scroll faster), for example, and that modeshifts into my hotbar/equipment/mag. And then on the left I have emotes, macros for slash commands, and a quick way to bring up the keyboard to type (which is about as fast as you can get on a controller).

And then the rest is just tweaks to fix PSO's control issues, like I've got a macro so that pressing Y brings up the quick-equip menu instead of chat, right rear grip mode shifts that into my traps so I don't accidentally set off my photon bursts. I should probably fiddle with it more so I can use the right pad as a mouse as well to handle the character reader add-on.

Heyo! We've actually met online already; Eiskaffee here. =)

What kind of game design are you talking about - video games, board games, or "design" in general? Really curious!

I promise I'll do damage one day!

Both, really. I like examining the thought process behind every little thing. The developer of Yomi has a really cool blog that serves as an excellent introduction to the thought process behind balancing, for example. I tend to take a lot interest in smaller things though, like UI design and default settings and how they influence player behavior and community cultures.

Last edited:
You know that sounds like it would be hella useful for pso, the no accidental pb thing was intuitive, are you using a program to remap the inputs for you? If so which and how can i do that on a logitech.

But yeah the gyroscope thing seems like it might screw you over sometimes if your excitable, like I am. [n.n]

(I still turn my controller to "help me turn faster" lol)

You know that sounds like it would be hella useful for pso, the no accidental pb thing was intuitive, are you using a program to remap the inputs for you? If so which and how can i do that on a logitech.

But yeah the gyroscope thing seems like it might screw you over sometimes if your excitable, like I am. [n.n]

(I still turn my controller to "help me turn faster" lol)

The gyroscope you can choose to use or not use, I don't use it in PSO or most games really. Only really bother with it if accurate mouse movement is important for that particular game, so mostly shooters/third person action games with an over-the-shoulder aiming mode or mouse-driven games with tiny UI elements. In practice it's actually quite nice, it's not like the cheap Wii remotes but a lot more accurate. You can also set the gyro to only activate while holding a button or, more commonly, only while your thumb is on the right trackpad - you won't move it unless you're trying to adjust your camera and want to move it.

I use the Steam Configurator and you can use it with any controller, not just the Steam Controller. Go into Big Picture Mode, click the gear icon, and under controller select Controller Settings. You can add pretty much any gamepad you want, even a DS4 controller without needing any special drivers. Steam will then manage your controls on a per-game basis and will automatically apply configurations. You can even browse community-made configs if you're too lazy to make your own.

Since Logitech controllers are Xinput, they'll be treated like a generic 360 pad by Steam and will use any Xinput configs. You can try to import configs made for Steam Controllers, but since the SC has stuff like the rear grips it won't be 1:1 and you'll likely have to tweak whatever you import.

i'll have to get that, get so sick of adjusting my emulators and games over and over just because i unplugged my controller, seems like itd be helpful for stubborn games that wont let you adjust controls too.

Back