Game won't start up because of detected virus.

Abashiri

Guildcard
Recently the game won't start up because of detected virus. I get an error message saying;
Error : Operation did not complete because file contains virus or unwanted software

It is a known false positive, Ephinea does not contain any viruses or malware.
Try checking out our FAQs page for further information and the solution to getting the game back up and running, Ctrl+F "virus" should be your friend.

I just added excluded files and folder. Not only that but I turned off scannings from McCafe just for that file. It still didn't work.
Screenshot

Not sure why McAfee would continue blocking something even if you excluded it from scans, but I am sure that McAfee sucks.

Might be some sort of "active" protection scanning your processes that needs additional exemptions. I know BitDefender has several different exemption categories for ....... reasons?

I tried turning off the scanning and adding program to exceptions. But I still got that same error, even after today's update.

What do the "See details" error log show? You might have to whitelist both the launcher and online.exe in the case of McAfee. Or just uninstall it completely, it is bad. Windows defender is fine.

Whats your OS? Win10 or Win11?

Also maybe consider uninstalling your current AntiVirus SW. The Windows Defender is fine enough. Also try to install to a different folder. Under C:/ might be more problematic for example.

I'm on Win 11. The game works if I turn off McCafe. I shouldn't have to as I added it to exceptions under Real-Time Scanning.

I'm on Win 11. The game works if I turn off McCafe. I shouldn't have to as I added it to exceptions under Real-Time Scanning.
Like others have said McAfee is bad it blocked all my web browsers once. (Even Internet explorer) it always seems to block whatever it feels like even if its in exceptions.

I can only repeat myself. Uninstall McAfee and simply turn on Windows Defender. Under Win11 it can also work to right click on the PSOBB exe and go to properties and then make an exemption from there for the antivirus. But maybe that option is only there if Defender is used only.

Back