Game update for August 5th, 2022

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
I'm sure some of you may have heard that the Anniversary Event would be starting tomorrow... But, before that, I would like to share a game update!

Today, the game has been updated with the following changes for Ephinea.DLL version v1410:

- SSAA and SMAA anti-aliasing options have been added to the game. Previously, we only had MSAA, which can cause problems with reflections and can't be corrected. (Ex: Seabed)

SSAA anti-aliasing, or Supersampling anti-aliasing, basically renders the game at a higher resolution and then scales it back down. This removes jaggies and is a more "pure" form of antialiasing, but it requires a lot of GPU power.

SMAA anti-aliasing, or Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing, is a form of anti-aliasing that is actually a post-processing anti-aliasing technique. It is incredibly fast, easier on the GPU, and provides wonderful results. In fact, I'd recommend it over any of the other options.

MSAA and SSAA cause problems with the current version of the BB mod add-on plugin, so I've compiled a version that works at https://files.pioneer2.net/unofficial_lua_update.zip until Soly can get around to an official release. (This is JUST the replacement DLL for LUA. It is not the full package.)

SMAA does not cause any problems with the current version of the BB mod add-on plugin... So, if you don't want to use my version above, you can go without anti-aliasing or you can use SMAA and be good to go.

- Previously, it was hard to see character names in the lobby on high resolution displays. Now, names in the lobby now scale up a bit for resolutions above 1080p.

If you do not like or want this behavior, create a DWORD value in your registry called "NO_LOBBY_SCALE" and set it to 1 under HKCU\Software\SonicTeam\PSOBB\Ephinea (The same place all the other Ephinea keys are.)

This option does not exist in the launcher... for now.

- There exists a bug in which the Episode I & II ending videos can be triggered on non-classic ships. This is because of my forgetfulness to include different variations of the boss data files. I have corrected this on the patch server by now providing the varied files.

However, this now creates a bug on the classic ship in which the ending videos will no longer play. This will be corrected tomorrow during maintenance when the classic ship restarts.

- Online.exe has been updated to include the new anti-aliasing options.

- PsoBB.exe has been redeployed as a signed file.

We hope you enjoy the update and, as always, thank you for playing on Ephinea!

̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
明日からアニバーサリーが始まりますが、その前にゲームのアップデートです!
本日Ephinea.dllのv1410がリリースされ、以下の機能追加・修正が行われました。

• SSAAとSMAAのアンチエイリアスオプションが追加されました。以前はMSAAのみでしたが、こちらはプラントなどでの反射の描画に問題がありました。
    • SSAA(Supersampling Anti-aliasing)は、ゲームを高解像度でレンダリングしたのちそれを縮小表示するというものです。これによってジャギーが除去されるより純粋なアンチエイリアシングの手法ですが、より多くのGPUパワーを必要とします。
    • SMAA(Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing)はポストプロセッシングによるアンチエイリアス手法です。とても高速で、GPUの負担も軽いというスバラシイもので、こちらのオプションがおススメです!
    • ただMSAAとSSAAは現行のアドオンプラグインのバージョンで問題が発生してしまいます。Solyさんが公式に修正版をリリースするまでは、https://files.pioneer2.net/unofficial_lua_update.zip に動作するverのDLLを配置しています。(これはLUAを動かすためだけのDLLで、フルパッケージ版ではないことに留意してください。)
    • SMAAは現行のアドオンとは競合せず、問題は発生しません。もしもアドオンDLLの更新が手間であれば、アンチエイリアスをオフにするかSMAAを使用すればOKです。
  • 1080P以上の解像度の場合、ロビーで表示されるキャラクター名が少し拡大されるようになりました。(従来は高解像度ディスプレイではキャラクター名の視認が困難でした)
    • もしこの動作が不要な場合は、レジストリ「HKCU\Software\SonicTeam\PSOBB\Ephinea 」に「NO_LOBBY_SCALE」というDWORD値を作成し1をセットすれば抑制できます。現状、こちらのオプションはランチャー上に存在しません。
  • EP1&2のエンディングがクラシックシップ以外のシップで再生されるバグが修正されました。
    • ただこちらの副作用で逆にクラシックシップでエンディングが再生されないというバグが生じています。こちらは明日のメンテナンスでの再起動時に修正する予定です。
  • Online.exeに新しいアンチエイリアスオプションを追加するように修正しました。
  • PsoBB.exeは署名されたファイルとしてリリースされました。
引き続きEphineaをよろしくお願いいたします!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why, since SSAA usually looks the best out of the bunch, but Soda's right, SMAA Ultra looks noticeably better than SSAA 4x. Weird, but no complaints, it's pretty and less demanding!

Not sure why, since SSAA usually looks the best out of the bunch, but Soda's right, SMAA Ultra looks noticeably better than SSAA 4x. Weird, but no complaints, it's pretty and less demanding!
I think it's because I'm limited to linear scaling when downsampling it back to the backbuffer using StretchRect.

We could probably do a better downsampling using something better, but then it wouldn't be scaling completely in the GPU as it is now. It could cause a further performance hit if I take the data out of GPU memory to downsample it before copying back to the GPU...

I wonder if there is some other way I can do a downsample that's better than linear filtering in DX9 while keeping everything in the GPU...

hi
I have run this update and am experiencing a DLL error.
You will not be able to play the game as it is.

@GreenMaker , I have encountered the same issue. Working with admins, it was resolved by installing a DirectX update.

For Windows 10, this worked for me:

When I use SSAA, it improves my picture, but my damage font becomes so small that I can barely see it, I wonder if I am doing something wrong?

@GreenMaker , I have encountered the same issue. Working with admins, it was resolved by installing a DirectX update.

For Windows 10, this worked for me:
Thanks for letting me know.
I installed Direct X and it fixed it.

- Online.exe has been updated to include the new anti-aliasing options.
I have a small problem with this just not being visible anywhere.
Cannot find AA options, I might just be being blind early in the morning but I've searched 4 times through online.exe and options.exe just to be sure, and got nothing.

I have a small problem with this just not being visible anywhere.
Cannot find AA options, I might just be being blind early in the morning but I've searched 4 times through online.exe and options.exe just to be sure, and got nothing.
Same here, not sure if something didn't properly update or if I'm just missing it.

Edit: I think I got it. You have to actually launch the game and let that update too (twice) then launch again and it'll have the options.

Last edited:
Same here, not sure if something didn't properly update or if I'm just missing it.

Edit: I think I got it. You have to actually launch the game and let that update too (twice) then launch again and it'll have the options.
Correct. Run launcher, update, run game, it will update the launcher. (Because the launcher cannot update itself while it's running.)

Correct. Run launcher, update, run game, it will update the launcher. (Because the launcher cannot update itself while it's running.)
Aha! Got it, thanks for this! Confusion ended and options picked.

EDIT:
I have however discovered a new problem since this update.
I can't run my custom controller config or my Steam controller whatsoever now without facing the blinding light of the game's brightness cranking itself up so high everything is washed out and desaturated with extreme white.
I can run it without the Steam overlay and everything looks normal - but the moment the overlay gets involved, this update threatens to melt my eyeballs from my skull.
And I sadly need the overlay because I have RedKing/Luck-- and XBox controllers refuse to work properly for me on their own, PSO just does NOT like them for reasons unknown (I've had this problem across 3 full PC hardware replacements and 2 OS reinstalls) - and I also use a Steam controller as my main piece.

EDIT EDIT:
I'll make this a bug report thread soon with screen shots

Last edited:
Aha! Got it, thanks for this! Confusion ended and options picked.

EDIT:
I have however discovered a new problem since this update.
I can't run my custom controller config or my Steam controller whatsoever now without facing the blinding light of the game's brightness cranking itself up so high everything is washed out and desaturated with extreme white.
I can run it without the Steam overlay and everything looks normal - but the moment the overlay gets involved, this update threatens to melt my eyeballs from my skull.
And I sadly need the overlay because I have RedKing/Luck-- and XBox controllers refuse to work properly for me on their own, PSO just does NOT like them for reasons unknown (I've had this problem across 3 full PC hardware replacements and 2 OS reinstalls) - and I also use a Steam controller as my main piece.

EDIT EDIT:
I'll make this a bug report thread soon with screen shots
Steam Overlay appears to be bright with SMAA. It works fine on MSAA and SSAA, though. Will have to look into this.

Steam Overlay appears to be bright with SMAA. It works fine on MSAA and SSAA, though. Will have to look into this.
Ah, right, I shall look at a temporary downgrade to MSAA in the meantime and see if that works out, thanks again, you legendary vibro-banana!

Thanks for the updates @Sodaboy and Ephineas Team, this is more than i could ever hoped for.
What a great time to be a PSO:BB enthousiast.
Also thanks for the very quick hotfixes. :eek:

Just echoing support to all of you. Awesome time to return as Echelon said. :p

Back