Frustrations

Jase

This is just a small peeve of mine, and I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this.

I don't have a pimped out mag. My first character on this server is not a transferred character and is only level 70 as of the other night. My Mag is around the same level.

This means I am slower than the already-leveled player. I don't deal as much damage. I have to pause every so often to feed my mag.

So I make my party open so others can come level with me, and a high level joins or someone with maxed mags or whatever, and proceeds to just rush through everything. No allowing anyone to look at the loot that dropped. No giving someone a chance to tag the enemies. Just speed rushing through everything.

So tell me. Am I wrong to find this behavior kind of rude?

If you open a game you cannot expect randoms to play how YOU want, Assuming they will do so is rude of you.

HOWEVER I have the same issue due to lvling so fast (my lvl 154 FO's mag is still 17x) etc etc

But I resolve this by playing with friends and tagging everything, feeeding my mag more before lvling. It's down to you to solve your problems, don't blame everyone else.

If you open a game you cannot expect randoms to play how YOU want, Assuming they will do so is rude of you.

HOWEVER I have the same issue due to lvling so fast (my lvl 154 FO's mag is still 17x) etc etc

But I resolve this by playing with friends and tagging everything, feeeding my mag more before lvling. It's down to you to solve your problems, don't blame everyone else.
I understand not being able to expect people to play how you want, but I think in this case there's a certain level of ethics involved. I mean if I were killing things in one or two hits with RAfoie, and I joined a Very Hard game when I probably should be playing Ultimate, and there were two other players (A HUcast and something random,) I would just bulldoze my way through everything like I'm in some sort of race. This sort of action seems wrong to me.

I think there's a difference between expecting people to play one way and expecting people to at least show respect. If you were to demand someone stop while you go take a restroom break, yeah that's asking a bit much. But if you're just trying to level and someone is making it nearly impossible to do it outside of boss fights I think someone has a right to take issue.

Courtesy goes both ways.

It's always baffled me because in most other communities for other games this sort of unsaid rule was understood and respected. People didn't come in, crash parties, and then act like they had the right of it. But now that I think about it as far back as the Dreamcast era this was always an issue lol. I still remember when people were hacking their 99% everything spread needles and just laying waste to everything, while legit players were SOL.

This doesn't happen often btw, but it does irk me that it's going on even here.

Well, personally it depends on exactly what the situation is. I completely agree with what your saying, everyone should take that into respect but it simply won't happen unless your among friends, I personally try to help everyone and play to their pace if in lower games unless > If your advertising a high exp gain (such as TTF), the standard issue is fuck everything up quick so people can tag the boss and lvl. If your game was a non-grind fest and not lvl orientated then I would find people killing everything without considering others disrespectful. My suggestion for new characters or new players is to actually play the game and not just grind lvl, because the result is what you are receiving,
I understand. The game I was in was one I made, simply titled "VHard Levels" or something like that. It was me and another guy level 57 just casually going through Forest to as far as our stats allowed. Then a level 174 FO joins, says nothing aside form a Hi smile, and proceeds to just slaughter everything and left the two of us utterly bewildered. I had a few similar occasions during Hard mode as well, though the most recent one was most startling.

We did try to ask that he slow it down a bit, but he ignored us. I'm not trying to blame the server or anything, just kind of surprised people still do this even on private servers lol.

Some people are just trying to help you level to Ultimate as fast as possible, in quest where most of the XP comes from bosses (TTF, RT) clearing enemies as fast as possible is in your best interest, even if you don't manage to tag them.

But yeah sounds rude in that case
In low difficulties I just run around with WEEABOO knuckle and punch things for MASSIVEDAMAGE

I feel your pain man. Sometimes being helpful could just be letting others play the game.

I usually go to Single player to avoid this problem. Everyone just wants to spam TTF all day and I have being treated like the the person who has to go carry others. I'm the meatshield. ==;;

Well when making a game you cant expect to tag everything when someone joins. Personally, if its a TTF, I do rush through it myself or atleast try to since I just came to this server. In a quest like TTF or RT it doesn't matter much since you are mainly after the boss xp. But for normal playing, or quests like WoF, I try to let them tag them quite often. I've been in your position quite a few times, but after playing here a while you won't have to worry about this kind of thing. GL to you and welcome to the server ^^

This is one of the many reasons why Lone Wolf types like me exist.

I go through maps so slowly and meticulously that I'd make the powerlevellers go insane. Besides, I don't want to be powerlevelled at all. I have never hit 200 in fifteen years and don't really care if I ever do. To me, I just enjoy playing and item hunting - levels are just an after-effect. I've only ever hit 160 with one character ever playing with normal (1x) xp. Plus I afk a ton. I take a lot of breaks.

For these reasons, I've played 90% solo through every MMO/multiplayer game I've ever played going back to PSO v1 and Everquest 1 (which are about the same age, amazing to think about - EQ is about a year or so older).

I've always been fond of saying, "I solo MMOs for the same reasons I go grocery shopping without my kids."
Anyone who has done both would understand.

This is just a small peeve of mine, and I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this.

I don't have a pimped out mag. My first character on this server is not a transferred character and is only level 70 as of the other night. My Mag is around the same level.

This means I am slower than the already-leveled player. I don't deal as much damage. I have to pause every so often to feed my mag.

So I make my party open so others can come level with me, and a high level joins or someone with maxed mags or whatever, and proceeds to just rush through everything. No allowing anyone to look at the loot that dropped. No giving someone a chance to tag the enemies. Just speed rushing through everything.

So tell me. Am I wrong to find this behavior kind of rude?
No dear, you have every right to be miffed. You're Always gonna run a risk of some inconsiderate soul bursting into your room and Leroy Jenkining your sanctum. Even mew had been attacked upon entering a low level room at times and they Panic shouting that shes gonna KILL EVERYTHING. A few words and actions later they realize mews actually there to HELP. The only excuses mew can see that ppl would be rude that way are....They want to show off how uber they are with their toys and looking for praise....they're bored outta their minds and figure a 'noob' will benefit faster by JUST tagging bosses and leaving the small fry alone...they're a young purrson not knowing any better and just being kids by being asshats? TBH, there's a LOT of excuses why ppl will be rude, mental issues, maturity, social upbringing, yadda yadda yadda.
Mew'd like to think she creates More 'plushie' type players when she plays with newer ppl. They get exposed to the joy of helping out and they in turn do for others. Give Love...Get Love, you know? Sorry for your stresses and if you remember this purrsons name.... POINT THEM OUT IN LOBBY So we may Glare at them!!! >=3

When I help people, I usually adjust my play style to theirs. If they play slow, I'll play slow and stick to support. If they play fast, I'll break out the big guns and carry them the whole way. I try not to ever be rude or come off the wrong way when helping people.

for me, if i'm the high lvl player, and i join a lower lvl TTF, i usually assume they are looking to be rushed through it. granted, i generally wait a second or two for people to tag on occasion, but they're only in it for boss exp anyway.

for casual runs, high lvl players shouldn't be joining anyway IMO, unless with the intent of letting the lower lvl players tag enemies and grab loot.

Some people don't want a baby sitter holding thier hand. The saddest part is, those people that are actually new to the game and rushed don't get to enjoy the classic PSO experience. I see why some of the people that join my ultimate rooms at lvl 100 be so under-powered (I'd never kick nobody for that btw)... Anyway, if any want to play low level offline dreamcast/gamecube style , talk to me.

In the case of carrying lower lvled players in a free roam type of room, I often find myself standing there and blocking the hits to alert and group up the mobs so its easier to tag them together. After I wait to see if everyone hit them around 2 or so times is when I proceed to murder. Though from what I'm assuming from what you are saying, the 174 Fo probably was ignorant to the concept of a free roam and could be under the impression that murdering everything quickly would allow you to easily check if any thing decent drops(PDs) while he cuts the way to the boss. Seems to be the case of differing perspectives of what constitutes as help. Since a lot of people returning to PSO are veterans, he might have assumed a speed clear was preferred. Sometimes a person can be unintentionally rude with a good intent. Can't pin him as rude just yet without acquiring both halves of the coin.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm weird but wouldn't people appreciate more if you didn't join their game as a high level character at all? Having someone give you very high level buffs or even stand around tanking all the hits isn't exactly fun, it just cheapens the experience.

I always thought there was an unspoken rule anyway, that if you join a game you play by the room creator's wishes, regardless of what your thoughts are on things, even if you're doing whatever you're doing in the "best interest" of the other person.

That depends on the room leader. Whether they are enjoying the game or leveling their 9th alt changes what they are looking for. I've seen French, Japanese, and some other languages spoken around in the lobbies. It's possible they had limited knowledge of basic English and had miscommunications. In the end, there is too little known of the situation to really know what happened anyway.

There's not a finite number of enemies in the game. If someone clear a map, you could literally be back in the same quest in 30 seconds. I guess I don't see the big deal here?

(Side note: I don't do this, but it's not like you've permanently missed out on something.)

for me, if i'm the high lvl player, and i join a lower lvl TTF, i usually assume they are looking to be rushed through it. granted, i generally wait a second or two for people to tag on occasion, but they're only in it for boss exp anyway.

for casual runs, high lvl players shouldn't be joining anyway IMO, unless with the intent of letting the lower lvl players tag enemies and grab loot.
Just to clarify this was not TTF. It was just regular stuff.

Back