Fomarl tips and tricks

Rune

Guildcard
I saw someone asking for Fomarl help a while back and while I was writing this book the topic was removed. So I felt like posting this now.

1. Use slicers and rambling may. SnS is your best friend. She has some good attack animations in the right areas and some good gear to have her work as a battle fo. For starters she has the best slicer animation in the game as well to the point where you can do sns with it almost in the face of foes. A lot of her other attack animations are lacking but she has some good ones in the right spots so that don't matter that much.
2. Fomarl is the white mage among FO. Best at supporting a party but she isn't a nuke fo. She is the most physically bulky of FOs along with best ata growth rate of a FO. It is easy to notice, she actually is easier to keep alive than Ramarl, Hunewearl, and several other classes solo wise, having around the same hp and def growth rate as Ramarl but with 30 supports vs 20 (which helps her attack as well when building her up).
3. She in general has more attack power than the black mage (Fonewn) and sage (Fonewearl) but not the red mage (Fomar). Fomarl has the game's 2nd worse max ata for a FO and one of the 4/6 classes without a ata booster of really any type til level 180. so if you are gonna attack with her close to 900 max atp (which you will certainly enjoy it late game like Fomar does) you will need expensive stuff to do so. So enjoy a long late game I guess. To give an idea on late game: 3 heart keys, 5 50 pd s-ranks. 400 pds total for s-ranks and hearts. Now lets not factor in the high hit weapons you'll want

1. Rambling may with good stats-yes she has the best shot animation in the game, but this is the only weapon that lets her really abuse that. Its a good weapon. Handgun range, fires 2 bullets in a straight line, has unlimited vertical range so it can hit flying monsters like gal griffon, zu, dragons, and more (she can grind falz and olga to dust with em with super high dark %). I would say use a charge handgun usually at some point in this but while she has some great attack animations overall handguns are an exception to that rule. Granted Rambling may kicks so much ass on her that you don't need that making her one of the non Ra classes to have a great long range single target weapon besides just a simple handgun (Fomar has the power to use Guardianna, Hucaseal and Hunewearl have Last Swan). She uses it fast enough to hhh easily at max range with it. The final <3 to rambling may is that you really don't need much hit with it.
2. Charge vulcans with 50 hit no less-a general <3 of PSO. Learn vulcans in general including sns at max range (though in your case you will be using snh more). Yeah vulcans in general for each character can do sns (1 or 2 of the s hits will hit) but you need a non moving target and max range to do that.
3. Dob, charge diska -your general damage slicers for group combat. And she can make stuff die with em. Dob is a lot more powerful of course but I've never a fan of the idea of making the person who's role is to make sure the group stays alive so I don't risk low life play so charge diska is a fair swap but I know I'm in the minority as far as weapon choice favorite goes here anyway (Rainbow baton for me lol).

1. Excalibur-hits 3 targets, can let her murder worm bosses and vol opt 1 easily. Oh and general stuff as well every now n then. She has a odd saber attack animation but this is still a good weapon for her.
2. Vivitinne-2nd best double saber in the game that only females can use. This is also useful cause you don't need much hit to work with it.
3. Tyrell's parasol-female only partisan that boosts her resta, shifta, and deband range. With her natural range buff this makes party support a breeze. Also has alright attack power and a charge special if you want. If you want to use it though be careful with the 3rd hit cause she has some bad animations with that one.

1. Slicer of fanatic-group demons inflict with best slicer range in game. Hits only 3 targets.
2. Bringer's rifle-your best long range demons option and a great rifle in general.
3. S-rank demons cards-you can sns these cards very well. Unlike other cards the attack animation starts to appear slower than normal so you can special hit with these on the 1st hit easier than most weapons (its easier than slicers). And the 3rd hit is still using 3 demons attacks. Nuking a dorphon, or the thing it is really made for epsilon on spawn with 3 demons reducing their hp into less than 900 is a very powerful thing. S-rank cards almost makes up for Fomar/l not being able to use s-rank mechs.
4. S-rank demons j-cutter-let you hit 4 targets instead of 3, not a huge priority due to the ease of sof (and sof is usually better as well) but it is a thought.

1. Kunai-last hit with its 3 hits can easily para some dangerous single targets without a v5 unit even up close.
2. Holy ray-your lovely 2nd rifle choice in the game.
3. S-rank arrest j-cutter-easiest way to para girtablulu in game, oh and in general can support a group para effort some

1. S-rank Hell j-cutter-lets you turn ep2 into a graveyard with any character as long as you have v502.
2. Hell Ray gun-your long range death option.
3. S-rank Hell cards-easier to sns than handguns but has less line range (but a better attack angle and again unlimited vertical range)

4. Dark Bridge-boosts grants by 20%, gives piercing Megid. Cuts TP cost by 50% at the cost of hp and if you equip it for 2 long you are given a bad status affect that isn't fun. To counter this just unequip it after a while like you would with Frozen Shooter. If you are gonna use Megid or Grants even though yeah not the best you want this for em.
5. Demonic Fork-high level megid has 20 range. Cheapest and least annoying thing to boost your Megid if you have to use it. Piercing Megid attempting to hit several foes in a line or so is better than v501 handgun use IMO though even if it isn't as effective per single target. There are some spots like PW quests in E2 where piercing megid can work wonders. Level 26 Megid is around Hell's level of effectiveness without a boost (92 vs 93).

Megid also in general at high levels does have some rng love with it sometimes. If you are like me and just quest with anyone you happen to run into low level players a lot. Stuff like deldepth for example have a 20% chance of being killed with megid 30. In pw3 when you are being ganged by deldepth groups if you can't deal with them normally megid can save you.

1. Glide divine-boosts your jellen and zalure range by 2x (with 30 range total at level 30, the same range as Grants 30), gives you a level 3 anti special (cure team of poison, para, and shock for free), boosts your resists by 15 letting you tank some dangerous magic attacks easier (falz 2, and makes areas with megid filled assholes easier to deal with), and if you are holding it for 10 minutes you can use it to fully restore your tp at the cost making your hp 1 (don't do that near a bunch of foes lol).
2. Tyrell's parasol-so useful I'm listing it again. To talk about the range again Fomarl with her supports has 12 range, this makes it 18. That is more than Razonde's attack range (Razonde has 15) and ties with Gizonde (18).
3. Magic piece-boosts gifoie, gizonde, and gibarta in damage by 30%. Even on her it is useful. oh and free zonde special.

4. Mercurius Rod-boosts grants by 30% which if you want it is ok with Fomarl due to that 50% boost, gives a free gifoie as well. However, Dark Bridge is better even if it is more expensive and only boosts grants by 20%. Cheap Grants and Megid is quite fun to spam even if both spells aren't that good.
5. Summit Moon-boosts foie, zonde, and barta by 30%. Not that needed for her but I felt like bringing it up. Granted the simple clubs like club of Laco boosts a single tech by 40%.
6. Psycho Wand-boosts Rafoie, Razonde, and Rabarta by 30% and cuts general tp use by 50% at the cost of hp. Even Fomar and Fomarl can have fun spamming these techs. Put it at the end of this cause yeah its an uber and good luck getting one.

1. Lt. Mantle-auto trap vision. Let you support your droid friends in auto setting off traps for em as well as using your long range techs in general to clear traps protecting you and your friends. I hate running into traps in general and taking a dirt nap after so this is my favorite armor in the game.
2. Sweetheart-if you have guys around you (as in they have to be very close) it boost your weapon's attack by 15, 20, 25% at the cost of that amount of defense on you. This also stacks with other % on the weapon. Rambling may and other high attack stuff like excal and vivitinne really gets some love from this. Stuff like charge vulcans, not so much. The only issue is that this armor is very expensive to make (2 heart keys and a somewhat rare base armor Spirit Garment).
3. Thirteen-boost your Dob in attack by 50% and get a cool free 30 ata to its base (giving a 0 hit 61 ata)
4. Ignition Cloak-boost fire spells by 10%, and has ok fire resist (useful for falz and for sure tower to build that fire resist up).
5. Brightness Circle-a female's best dark resist armor (25).
6. Sacred Cloth-free built in cure para, 15 dark resist is enough to work with as well.

1. Red Ring, level 180 to use isn't enough to stop it from being number 1.
2. Safety Heart-boosts your ata by 30 when you use rambling may. Also gives you some other minor boosts with sweetheart. Costs a heart key and Invisible Guard to make. So yeah to all this bling with hearts will cost you 150 pds total in vanilla pso.
2. Three Seals, 33 resists on all (making it sometimes a thing to take off rarely even after level 180), a 33% chance to null a basic non hp attack as well (or I think it is that).
3. God's Shield Kouryu-Built in PB/Boost, 40 fire, ice, bolt resist. This is the highest single 3 elements protection you'll have use of in the game. It makes low level tower and falz a million times easier to the point where you really only have to worry about ass bombs and megid. PB/Boost is pretty good if you want to make it easier to build pb. PB/Boost is enough to keep up with hu and ra in pb building to make it easier to get a 4 way pb blast.
4. Gifoie Merge, Red Merge-30% boost to Gifoie. Red is ok if you have bad luck getting Gifoie amp.
5. Anti-dark ring-60 dark resist. Just a bit short of a 100% dodge of lily megid. With Bright Circle as well you can dodge Deldepths Megid 100% of the time if you want.

1. Smartlink, the game's best unit for 8 of its classes
2. v101, the game's 2nd best unit.
3. v801, for low level and even in the end high level techs this is a much loved item if you want to throw magic around.
4. v501 and v502, v502 makes Hell broken but not para and confuse (which are not boosted anymore than v501 boosts em). How unfair for non fleshy characters. V501 is a lot cheaper at least til you can save up and buy your v502.
5. Adept, 25% tp cut with no strings attached. The extra stuff it has (20 ata, 10 in the other stats, 6 resists) is just a free bonus. Tp cut works with spirit as well. To bad Fomarl doesn't need spirit that much.
6. Cure/ units. Sol atoms are in shops all the time now but there are still a very few points where you would maybe want them. For sure if you are flying solo.

1. Girasole-even with the fact that she has a much stronger double saber and this one isn't strong enough to take out the target you really want easily even with Dark % the fact that you can slow the wrath of certain foes like Deldepth makes this weapon have a use.
2. Rainbow Baton-weaker than charge diska and dob but this has close to the same range as sof and it has unreduced chaos which can come in handy in situations where someone does have traps around or you are flying solo (granted Rabarta 29/30 is usually more safe than a slicer set up for group control still but yeah). Granted you'll want v501/2 on with this. A lot of robots are fun to confuse sometimes oh and confusing a bunch of Dorphan and Zu is fun as well (though still dangerous). Also you are building PB easier when you use it instead of the others if you want.
3. Rico's Glasses, rock those styling red frames man.
4. Resta Merge, because with Tyrell's Parasole you get a 24 range resta. The same distance as Barta. As in you have longer than rifle range resta. Which is just fun to fling out.

Last edited:
Looks alright to me. You should add Sweetheart to the armors since it can be amazing in a male team. Demon's Cards and Hell Card's can be killer items in the hands of a good player and the fastest sources of Hell / Demon's you can get (the projetile can fly for a long time before the monster gets a hitbox, essentially making you able to hit them on the 1st possible frame - even Slicer cannot do that!). Also, here's a quick defense of Megid: It can be extremely useful still in some situations - if it pierces and is 29+. Some quests in Episode 2 have enemies exactly in a straight line (Mop Up 4 comes to mind); and you can spawn kill all of them with a bit of luck. It is true that with V502 you will use a Slicer or J-Cutter most of the time, though.

Now for my personal experience:
I enjoy playing FOmarl, but I have to admit that FOmar is basically a beter version of her. 7 ATA is nothing compared to the 130 base ATP FOmar gets, which make a huge difference with Shifta. FOmar can combo-kill a lot of stuff with and without Zalure that FOmarl cannot. Also, he gets the Gi boost which is just so, so good. FOmar does not get the nice female equips, but his ATP can make up for that. FOmarl is a lot more bulky, that is true. You can get used to FOmar's low DFP and HP, though.

Here's something that may surprise a few people: FOmarl's attack animations are trash. Of course, that's not entirely true. She gets the best slicer animation; and her Shot animation (Rambling May) is insane. But... that's it.

Her Partisan, Handgun, Rifle, Saber, Mechgun and even her Dagger animation are all super slow. Like, wow, you really have to get used to them again after playing any other character for a while. I don't know what SEGA was thinking when they gave her decent attack stats and all these super terrible animations. She's the character best suited for Tyrell's Parasol, but the last attack of the combo is just sooooooo slow...

I personally enjoy her more than FOmar in a team with less experienced players. Her Resta range can be quite insane and she has the tools to support a team very well. Once you get to a level where players don't need that much support, FOmar is easily the better character (and his bad Resta range can be a plus in a DF-ing team). In Tower, I prefer FOney over her for her better Demon's. Demon's Mechs are very useful and you haven't lived as a FO if you have never Spawn-last-hitted a Gibbles or Epsilon with Demon's Cards and reduced their HP to about 200 instantly. Let's not talk about Episode 4. Poor FOmal.

She looks super nice and graceful, though.

I am a fomarl currently! And that guide is awesome!! Thanks Rune! Now give me an adept, and a Rambling may with 60h please! Cmon! You i know i need them! You told me! ;) Thanks again for the awesome tips.

updated some stuff, fixed some errors, made it more clear that she has some attack animation issues on the stuff she isn't good at. Funny how I forgot about s-rank cards and <3 armor and shield. I spent a good amount of time going for a s-rank demons cards.

Made it less annoying to read.

Also defended megid some cause it has saved my ass a few times when I think about it.

Last edited:
Sometimes I will equip a Regene Gear Adv. With Lv.30 Deband and Jellen, FOmarl can block quite a few enemies' attack, and each block will recover TP by 5%. TP drain Cards helps, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread, I'm planning to make a battle FOmarl in the future and I was about to ask which gear I should hunt for her but you gave all the answers I needed.
But I would like to know your opinion about how many hit% I should be looking for on her weapons. I personally think that at least 35h is mandatory considering her ATA but that might be more

• Rambling May - Safety Heart grants +30 ATA for RM, and the special is not very useful, so hit is not essential. You can get by very well with 2-3 good attributes instead of hit, or just 15H. More hit is better, of course, but not needed to be effective most of the time.
  • Slicer of Fanatic - The 30H event one is the standard, and works great with SNS glitch.
  • Vivienne - The 30H event one is the standard, and works great for single target beatstick.
  • Rainbow Baton - You can get by with 50H and high attributes, but 70H+ is probably ideal for HHH combos, and can generally be bought or made for pretty cheap.
  • Tyrell's Parasol - Great multitarget partisan with Charge special. For Lizards you can NHS pretty well with 30% hit, but 40%+ would be ideal - pretty hard to find high hit though.
  • Excalibur - Probably want 25%+ to effectively NHS, which is going to be very expensive.
  • Bringer's Rifle - 40H is probably the minimum to effectively hit at long range with the Smartlink bonus. 50H would be ideal, but adding the last 10% can be costly (5 PCs at 20% success rate).

Anyone know the difference in demon % between a 50h bringers rifle and an S rank demon card?

Anyone know the difference in demon % between a 50h bringers rifle and an S rank demon card?
Both weapons have the same activation rate for Demon's special; unreduced special at 50% activation rate.

Back