Fixing horizontal range on cards

Rune

Guildcard
Something I've noticed when checking out Guardianna and Gal Wind is how they don't hit at the range they say they are suppose to. These two cards are suppose to have 170 range like a raygun but in truth they have a good deal less.

This is seen by the fact that at max range they (Guardianna and Gal Wind) both target the same objects but only rayguns will actually hit said target.

Cards without boosted range in general I've noticed hit at a lower range than they say they do as well. Like the targets they are suppose to reach aren't actually reached However at the range they say they are suppose to work but don't Guardianna/Gal Wind do tag the object, so at the least these 2 cards are suppose to have more range and the other card types don't actually hit at 150 range.

Not sure if this is intended or not considering how cards are sort of a strange weapon (having launcher properties n all for anything moving fast) but it does affect the game sometimes.

For example Guardianna can't reach falz 3 at his max range like handguns can in general.

Not sure if anything else works like this in game.

I see this as part of using Cards and it was like this even on GC.

Changing this would be a huge buff. I don't think it should be done, to be honest.

A few ranged items have this quirk. I would leave it alone or lower the targeting range on the particular weapon.

Not particularly opposed to buffing cards, but if we're trying to keep the game how Sega designed it - yeah.

I see this as part of using Cards and it was like this even on GC.

Changing this would be a huge buff. I don't think it should be done, to be honest.

keep in mind this buff would really only make guardianna fully 100% better instead of mostly better than a spirit handgun for Fomar like it is suppose to. I mean it is already better just for the face nuke but really how is this broken? It just saves on item space in the end.

S-rank cards would I guess get buffed as well which are really the only other card worth using but the point of a s-rank card is to nuke with the 3rd hit up close or use the 1st single hit special anyway.

Can't really see how this is broken. S-ranks would hardly matter (you can already sns them easier than any other weapon in the game I think) and Guarianna is pretty much just a bit better spirit raygun at a range.

A few ranged items have this quirk. I would leave it alone or lower the targeting range on the particular weapon.

Not particularly opposed to buffing cards, but if we're trying to keep the game how Sega designed it - yeah.

Well we have fixed plenty of mistakes Sega has made already though like DMC. And a weapon not firing the distance it is suppose to does seem like a mistake. But I'll ask, how many other weapons have this property to them though? Maybe I'm missing something.

Granted I guess we haven't fixed every bug sega made. I do wonder how horrible the game would be if glitch hits were fixed. I mean the only reason Fomar and s-ranks are viable anyway is because you can glitch mechs, slicers, and so on.

How I view this is, if the game's item info that comes with the vanilla game says something is supposed to act a certain way, but it's not actually performing said task/up to that information given, it's a oversight or a bug and should be fixed because it's not performing how Sonicteam intended. This could be just a flaw with the version we have now, we have no way of knowing if it was ever fixed on vanilla servers. So the way I see it, it's up in the air and up to the staff.

I don't think it would hugely buff cards since anyone using cards correctly should be using them like a shotgun to a single enemy (Guardiana, Demons Cards) aside from maybe Hell cards on a FOney (poor class can't even use jcutter), whom could utilize the range in attacking 3 enemies. Which still isn't a huge deal since other classes will still be better with their hell weapons/jcutters. If it's ''meant'' to have a certain range and even displays a target but doesn't throw that far then imo it should be fixed, whether that is lowering that target distance or increasing the range; I'd be happy either way.

And yeah cards main purpose is to shotgun them.

Guardianna, Kunai, Demons Cards, Hell Cards are all so much better if you can get close. Gal Wind is for hp draining (though it does have some ok uses sometimes for damaging things like worms).

Every other card is rather meh.

But it would be nice if they just did what they were suppose to do.

Well, it was never fixed on Vanilla servers because cards have been this way. Sonic Team going out of there way to "fix" something was memorable (barta adjustments and rapid pipes, anyone?)

Honestly couldn't give you an accurate list of other items like this lol when is the last time i played but IIRC, FS special will hit farther than its range indicates. I think some of the Launchers/shots fall just short of the range too...yeah I don't trust my memory. Maybe not!?

I don't really think there was much of a logical decision behind gimping some weapons regardless.

Well that gives sonic team consideration of not being incompetent lol. It's entirely plausible they just never knew (unless that was your point). If they did it might have been fixed. Still though it's useless speculation on either side as them leaving things as is, or fixing anything's purely chance from either perspective.

Giving Sonic Team consideration of not being incompetent is rather hard to want to do considering the track record.

Anyway it isn't like they didn't think about fixing the game and balancing it as it went on. They just went about it in a dumb way that a lot of companies do even today. As the game went on they just added new gear to fix things. Which doesn't really fix any underlining issues. I mean just look at Humar, Racaseal, and Fonewearl in their respective class types. Or just Hunters vs Rangers balance wise.

I mean Smartlink is a way to to fix ranged accuracy issues that 8/12 classes have for some reason is the best example out there of them just adding stuff to fix the game.

Back