Fix Accidental PBs

MelloMoka

Guildcard
I'm not at all sure what method to use to prevent this, but constantly using a PB on accident because you have things hotkey'd is something that's been annoying since DC. If you want to save a PB, you're handicapped from your hotkeys. If there is at all any way to implement this (hotkeying PBs to numbers idk), I'm sure there isn't anyone who would be against it.

If it's any help.

I've found going the other way around works for me

Hotkey your important stuff to 1 - 5
including Ctrl 1 - 5 (remember you have two hotbars)

And leave once in a while things on your PB keys

I always just use it right away then go sell and check the Arms Shop. I'm trying to get a nice hit Charge Claymore before he starts selling Caliburs..

If you're in a multiplayer game, idk. You could put Resta or whatever button you keep accidentally hitting on your main action menu and just use attack, heavy attack, and resta there.

You also could put Resta at the top of your Quick Menu. If you hit it while you're knocked down you'll immediately cast it when you get up.

This is something that is probably hard coded into the game, and will likely never be changed.

Anyway, the easiest method to avoid accidental PB is to not put anything you need there. Unless you are playing a FO, it is unnecessary.

What you should really do, is download a program like joy2key or xpadder, etc. So, you can map number keys to buttons. That is, if you play with a controller.

That being said, the best way to stop doing this is just to learn to not instinctively hit those buttons without checking your PB gauge.

Edit: As was mentioned, quick menu is life. I would say that the alt palette isn't even needed for FO. I have razonde, gifoie, and rafoie on the alt palette for 1st casts. But, they are all at the top, or bottom, of the quick menu. So, if you have 100 PB, they are just as accessible.

Last edited:
Just don't hotkey stuff to ctrl- A, B, X
not everything you use needs to be on your hotbar either, quickmenu useful yah

Hey, who else is gonna lay the slamdunk on the area just next to the delbiter?
I'm the kind of turd that sets resta to my ctrl+S (that's ctrl+{down} for the other keyboarders), so my classic move is to drop a PB instead of healing, and then die post animation

Just don't hotkey stuff to ctrl- A, B, X
not everything you use needs to be on your hotbar either, quickmenu useful yah
At the very least, all cast players can bind every single item/attack possible to their normal palette and their hotbar. The Ctrl palette isn't even necessary.

For everyone else, there's the quick menu. It'd be cool if this was fixable, though!

Hotkey your important stuff to 1 - 5
including Ctrl 1 - 5 (remember you have two hotbars)

Isn’t there only one hotbar (number keys 1 to 0), and triggering a second one with Ctrl requires a third-party tool?

Isn’t there only one hotbar (number keys 1 to 0), and triggering a second one with Ctrl requires a third-party tool?

Palette manager yeh. Leaving your abx whatever open is the best thing to do and it’s easy with an extra bar even on fos that use melee too.

The only issue with palette is that when you get a full pb you lose access to your second menu. So if you have to prioritize what goes where, ie bad to have gif on the second menu. Another option is to just use a mag that doesn’t have pbs, obvious downside there but convenient

if you don't want to use palette just do what I do and organize the quick cast menu to have deband at the top of it and shifta at the bottom. Deband and shifta only have to be replied every few minutes, its pretty easy to remember when to do it even if you don't have any add ons telling you when you should. I put deband as the 1st thing on there because if I'm not paying attention deband ending 1st is better than shifta ending 1st most of the time.

I have my hotbar set up as so (* means I might switch it out for something else randomly):
1 trimate (get out of free cards)
2 trifluid (too lazy to use the quick menu for this)*
3 razonde (small room stun locking and in general useful defensive spell, very useful for stopping certain foes from attacking such as death flowers)
4 jellen (useful in a pinch)*
5 zalure (having to cast it several times a room)
6 rabarta (useful in a pinch, great defensive spell)
7 moon atomizer (quick revive a friend, useful in the heat of battle)
8 gifoie (turning a room into an oven)
9 rafoie (opening boxes, blowing up stuff cause its fun)*
0 resta (generally useful)

gizonde, grants, and sol atomizers are on the alt menu for me. Losing them when I get a PB isn't a big issue (sols are one of the 4 items I carry so they show up easily in the quick item menu, grants and gizonde have random uses and if I need to its easy enough to get them on the quick cast menu for where I put them).

Foie, barta, zonde, gibarta are my least used spells so they get to be in the middle of the quick cast menu.

So if you have to prioritize what goes where, ie bad to have gif on the second menu. Another option is to just use a mag that doesn’t have pbs, obvious downside there but convenient

I don't think it is bad to have something like gif on alt palette. It is actually very useful: quick menu swap to magical piece, use gif from pallete, then immediately open quick menu again and queue up next gif. (I have 3/4 of my most used spells on alt palette and can't remember the last time I misfired PB. It just takes practice.)

Also, as FO you are less likely to misfire PB since, you don't gain PB as quickly as RA or HU.

I think this boils down not to what you put in alt pallete, but having another quick path to using that same action from the quick menu when PB is at 100.

Last edited:
0 resta (generally useful)
FKtPur9.png

I don't think it is bad to have something like gif on alt palette.

it's a bad idea to have gif on the alt palette if it's going to be your only way of using it, which is probably true of what, 90% of players who set it somewhere? More? If it's just an additional option for you because of quick menu then yeah, no downside. and of course fo's aren't going to crank PBs as fast but it still happens fast enough on fomar to be an issue on longer quests.

quick menu casting is always going to be optimal if we assume you can navigate it given how it works, but not everyone wants to play pso: menu burst, especially among the crowd that's looking for a solution to accidentally using pbs.

i don't personally enjoy going quick menu MP into menu gif into menu glide into j/z into menu vulcans into trying to find a target that isn't dead into MP rinse repeat. obviously an exaggerated string of actions, but not totally uncommon.

anyway, all i'm really saying here is put your more important techs on your primary menu, and treat your secondary like something you'll lose access to, because at some point, you will.

If you really want to avoid PBing by accident, you can quickly unequip it and re-equip it as soon as you hit 100 to return to 0.
Best option in the thread so far.

Work arounds are helpful input, the 2nd palette is beyond more useful than any of them (i play keyboard). I'll try to do some of these things, but it's honestly striking that Sega released like 3 or 4 iterations of this game and somehow never fixed this in play testing.

Back