Favourite/Worst Controllers

raggamuffin

Guildcard
Hi all,

What were your favourite and most loathed console/PC controllers?

I enjoy the xbox 360 the most. Whilst I use an xbox one controller on my PC at the moment I find that the shape of the 360 was a much more comfortable fit, especially as I have large hands.

Worst for me was probably the Dreamcast. As innovative and wonderful as the console was, the size/shape and yellowing issues really did put me off the DC controller.

Ed

Hi all,

What were your favourite and most loathed console/PC controllers?

I enjoy the xbox 360 the most. Whilst I use an xbox one controller on my PC at the moment I find that the shape of the 360 was a much more comfortable fit, especially as I have large hands.

Worst for me was probably the Dreamcast. As innovative and wonderful as the console was, the size/shape and yellowing issues really did put me off the DC controller.

Ed
My PS2 Controller that decided to brick itself by mapping everything to X. On a console no less.
Actual worse would be honestly, the N64 Controller. Doesn't even look like an actual controller, and all those Mario Party related lawsuits say something about it.

Favorite would be my ODST Xbox 360 controller.
Actual favorite would be the more streamlined PS3 controller, that seems to fit my hand perfectly and has the complexly simple I like. Gamecube controller is a close second.

Favorite
#1: Xbox One Elite controller with the chatpad.

#2: Original Xbox "Duke" controller.

#3: Dreamcast Controller.

Worst
#1 Virtual boy

#2 PlayStation Dualshock line.

#3 GameCube

Ed
Black Sega Sports Dreamcast bundle ftw.

Favorite: Keyboard

Worst: Everything else

Yes, I'm one of those a-holes.

Worst
#1 Virtual boy

#2 and #3 aren't N64
Hey, I am willing to bet if you even READ about the N64 Controller, Gamecube wouldn't be on there. I mean, it's horrible. I mean really horrible. It's less of a controller than the Gamecube is, AND the rubber on the control stick was able to break through skin. Some people got desperate during some of the rotating things (blame cheating CPUs in Mario Party)... and cut their hand with the control stick in the process.

And it just well... Looks even more awkward than most controllers.
N64-Controller-Gray.jpg
Not pictured is the Z Button. Which was about the center of the controller. On the back. At least the B button was in a comfortable location when the Wii arrived. Assuming you didn't have to hold sideways.

Favorite: Keyboard

Worst: Everything else

Yes, I'm one of those a-holes.
I used to be the same way lol. But once you go controller, if there's enough buttons for you to map, you won't go back.

...Unless you are playing shooters then yeah, you will. Aim Assist is the god of the console shooters.

Favorite Controllers:
- Xbox 360 Controller
- Sega Saturn Controller
- Original Xbox "S" Controller
- Original PS1 Controller with no Analog sticks.

Worst Controller:
- N64

N64 Controllers had the worst analog sticks in existence.
Not only that they also have awkward button placement.
Aesthetically, and ergonomically the worst controller I have ever used by far.
"Ugly"

Last edited:
I'm really super picky about my controllers. If the button quality sucks, stick quality is bad, stick placement is bad I simply wont use it. I really dislike sega genesis controllers as they go bad super fast, the buttons and dpad are mushier than pudding. The xbox 360 controllers also really bad depending on the generation you get. If you get a older one with some weight to them they last a bit longer, the newer ones tho... They're super cheaply made and can be equated to fisher price toys. I know I've made that comparison before but it works.

One of my favorite controllers of all time though is probably this 3rd party six button dreamcast controller with rubber gribs that I had, it was actually a madcatz and the only thing I ever bought from them that was high quality...high quality mad catz go figure. Only problem with it was the cheap dpad, but I dont think I ever really used it. Still have it and it works like a charm. It was almost as big as Xbox OG's duke but its form factor actually allowed you to hold the damn thing xD Speaking of xbox the Original controller S is probably one of the best controllers ever made. Good form factor, good buttons, and very sturdy.

Despite playing a lotta melee I'm not a super fan of the GC controller like people here would expect, I will give them points for durability though if you get the right one it last you literally years of extremely heavy play. The shoulders are also the single most comfortable digital triggers ever made. Not sure why Nintendo started copying the other brands after it. All they had to do was make them more durable.

Found a pic of it on google, im surprised. xd

0EyOCoh.png

Last edited:
My favorite would be Gamecube for 3D style games and the SNES controller for 2D.

Least favorites are the Wii Remote/Nunchuck and the old PS1 controllers with just the D-Pad.

Hey, I am willing to bet if you even READ about the N64 Controller, Gamecube wouldn't be on there. I mean, it's horrible. I mean really horrible. It's less of a controller than the Gamecube is, AND the rubber on the control stick was able to break through skin. Some people got desperate during some of the rotating things (blame cheating CPUs in Mario Party)... and cut their hand with the control stick in the process.

And it just well... Looks even more awkward than most controllers.
N64-Controller-Gray.jpg
Not pictured is the Z Button. Which was about the center of the controller. On the back. At least the B button was in a comfortable location when the Wii arrived. Assuming you didn't have to hold sideways.

I was the god of Goldeneye and No Mercy (the last good wrestling game I played lol) in my neighborhood, so I never had to blame the controller.

Lol. I never hated the n64 controller, I'm pretty sure I'd hate it if I went back to play on it now but back then I had no issue with it.

Fun fact about 64 controllers nowadays, horipad mini is a thing. Also the smash 64 community has or had a guy making steel sticks and repurposed stickboxes so your stick wont wear out anymore and would probably be more tight. :)

Favorite
#1: Xbox One Elite controller with the chatpad.

#2: Original Xbox "Duke" controller.

#3: Dreamcast Controller.

Worst
#1 Virtual boy

#2 PlayStation Dualshock line.

#3 GameCube

Black Sega Sports Dreamcast bundle ftw.
How do you use the chat pad with PC?

I dunno why you guys are hating on the PlayStation, it was awesome. Simple straight forward layout, no gimmicks - all of them came with recharge-able built in batteries. I mean I broke a few of mine but I tend to rage out when I'm really into a game. [lol]
But then again I got small hands, that's always a complaint for bigger hands folks.

I love the nintendo games but my god did they ever screw up so much on most of the controllers, sept like the early consoles (S/NES and GC <3) its like they keep tryna reinvent the wheel with all these motion controls and accessories, I'm not a cow nintendo don't milk me. (n.n)

Which PS are you referring to out of interest? I found PS1 & 2 controllers great when I was a teenager. As an adult now I find the controllers too small for my hands. They make long gaming sessions unnecessarily painful.

Ed

How do you use the chat pad with PC?
Just plug it in to the controller. Gets picked up like any other keyboard, pretty neat for racing games to pull up telemetry/headlights/adjust seat height/distance on the fly, PSO for the 1-0 keys, The Division for quick swapping weapons.

Just plug it in to the controller. Gets picked up like any other keyboard, pretty neat for racing games to pull up telemetry/headlights/adjust seat height/distance on the fly, PSO for the 1-0 keys, The Division for quick swapping weapons.
Dang. Wish the 360 chat pad worked that easy lol

For First Person Shooters (Doom, etc.) and Real Time Strategy (Command & Conquer) = mouse & keyboard

PSO = DC controller plus keyboard on here. But aiming would be better with keyboard only. This is the only game I like using an analog stick. The Analog aiming was better on console versions though, except keyboard on here using A and D to turn is most precise of all.

2D Fighters = SNES C&L Controls' Championship Joystick (like it was really cut out of an arcade machine) and can use on PC with adapters, next best = Original US model Saturn controllers (though more fragile buttons, better d-pad than later US or what Japan always had)

Everything else = Just a good console pad

Back