Events from 2018 and events from here on out

Generally I thought the events were pretty good.

My biggest problem with Anniversary was that the best way to maximize value was to create a ton of FOnewms and spam one quest all day for killgate spheres. That's a pretty lame thing to encourage.

On Christmas I agree the 50H FO weapons were too common for how good they are. And the 75H ubers felt a bit unnecessary. There shouldn't be a set event drop that is that valuable (600+) IMO. The Plat badges equivalent (Guld/SJS/PW-level-value) are a good max.

Otherwise I thought they were both pretty cool and fair events. Overall I think the strategy should be more about boosting rates in various creative ways (certain quests, HBR, killgates, daily bonuses, etc.) and less about rolling for uber set drops. That way we can still do our regular hunts but with a bit more chance at success.

My biggest problem with Anniversary was that the best way to maximize value was to create a ton of FOnewms and spam one quest all day for killgate spheres. That's a pretty lame thing to encourage.
Yeah I thought that was stupid as well.

The 2nd year had the best kill gate option of just making the gate linked to all your characters IMO.

Easter was fine. Some players may have said it was a little weak, but it's still extra just for playing.

Anniversary event would have been fine with some tweaks. The N-VH kills never should have counted (partially my fault for not realizing this would have been a thing when I was on the event team, oh well). The kill gates per character is a little rough. Ideally the gates should be changed to per account and the kill gate rewards resetting for the account after you hit the max kill gate. Example being (I don't remember the exact kill gates)...
  • Item Ticket at 500 kills
  • Ultimate Christmas Present at 10000 kills
  • Photon Sphere at 25000 kills
  • Item ticket at 25000 + 500 kills
  • Ultimate Christmas Present at 25000 + 10000 kills
  • Photon Sphere at 25000 + 25000 kills
  • Item Ticket at 50000 + 500 kills
  • and so on...
This way you could play any class for any game and not feel like you're missing out on potential rewards. Players with multiple characters or accounts already established are not at some advantage for farming PS.

I would also like if the kill gates were scaled up 2x-4x, and changed so you need exp share instead of a tag, but those are minor wishes. If the events were account based, rewards could be deposited in the Character bank of whichever character enters the lobby after the gate is hit.

The Hunter was nerfed pretty severely. I think this is a good thing because Anniversary event in 2017 hurt a number of items in the economy (Guardianna, Girasole, Flowen 3084 seemed to drop for a number of months), but this removed a sink for gold badges. Hard to balance this unless more items are put in the badge shops or the Hunter gets a small buff.

On to Christmas event, here are the positives.
  • Full EP MAE HBR was pretty popular and it's not nearly as OP as some other HBR (think MA4). Should be fine to do once/year as an alternative to Fiasco.
  • FO nonrare stuff was really cool. I'm disappointed in those who are selling them so cheap :rage:
  • Variable hit on weapons is a big plus.
  • Stackables in presents is a big plus.
  • The bottom tier being 100% success roll for Mats/1x PD was great. Lowered the blow from Christmas 2017 where stuff like 30h FS/30h SoF seemed to be introduced way too frequently. Materials will take a hit but I think they'll stabilize as Materials end up leaving the economy over time, whereas those 30h Weapons likely didn't.
  • New Type weapons are cool.
  • The last round of nerfs to presents seemed to do a good job balancing the presents.
A few negatives...
  • 75h CV never should have been in the presents. Its value is probably 1000+ PDs compared to the 75h Vjaya which went for 500-600 PDs in auction, and the rest of those ubers go for 400 (Berserk Arms) and then 300 or less in trades. If you really wanted to put dank CV in, I think 65h would have been comparable for an uber in the presents. Alternatively you could have put 60h CV equivalents in the other colors (72h Charge Mechgun, 69h Charge Assault, 66h Charge Repeater, 63h Charge Gatling). These would still be worth a good amount, possibly more due to swag aesthetics.
  • 50h Guardianna/Holy Ray/RM/DLS probably should have been variable hit or a fixed, lower hit. I think 40h Guardianna, 25h RM, and 30h DLS would have worked well for rare tier of these.
  • Presents still perhaps too common.
While a number of low hit FS/SN/SoF/MKB were introduced to the economy, it seems the higher hit value hasn't been hurt by the event. Anyway hindsight is 20/20 and it's much easier to look at the event from the outside and point out the problems than it is to do so while planning. Trust me, I know :oops:

Last edited:
As an old fuck on this server who rarely leaves his hermit crab shell to comment, here's my feedback:

- Present rate at 1/1500 was fine *except* fuck those goddamn HP mats.
- Lack of milestones was kind of saddening. I enjoy milestone rewards, and I believe most others do too. Seems to me, based on past events with milestones, it motivates a lot of play. More play = more PDs being produced. More PDs being produced = more chances for me to tell Bag of Weenies (Paganini) to screw himself with a splintered broomstick.
- Since we had no milestones, the implementation of doubling the weekly boost in effect was alright. Nice touch to give us weekly boosts doubled for the Xmas eve/day and New Years eve/day.

Overall, I think Xmas 2018 was a notable improvement in terms of balancing compared to Xmas 2017. Can't say it was better, but certainly not worse. Excellent job Event Team!

Finally, on the subject of kill gates:

As someone with all 12 characters, I am firmly in support of reverting kill gates back to account level and letting us achieve kill gate rewards multiple times-- exactly as @Ender suggested.

Last edited:
For this Christmas event: I actually liked that weps that are rarely hunted dropped as 50H like Asteron Belt and Holy Ray. I don't think it was too easy to obtain, nor do I feel that 50H is too much. My justification is that I still need to sphere weapons like these and all of them have 0 FOR EVERY OTHER ATTRIBUTE (That's a lot of spheres!). I do have to say, it didn't feel great spending x40 coal just to get x10.

For Anniversary: Like others have said, I don't like the kill gate per character WITH the fact you need to tag. I had to use zalure/rafoie to tag on a HUmar otherwise not hit 25k kills efficiently, mean while with any FO it's super easy to tag. Either switch to kill gate per account or remove the need to tag.

The Hunter - I feel like he needs to be revisited. The rates felt awful to me, having spent probably close or over to 150 gold badges I only got a 20H or 25H s/n as my best item from it. It was nice that the gamble came with 3 attributes, but I would be willing to sacrifice it to 1-2 attributes if it gave better rates got higher % attributes. Maybe offer a wider range of mid-tier weapons, that way the market doesn't over saturate with the 3-4 actually good weapons from him.

I probably have a complete opposite opinion as a lot of the posts I'm reading but I felt this event was perfect aside from the mid slight nerf. I played through out all of 2018 events and the xmas event was very unexpectedly well done. I was planning on skipping the event originally. I guess I'll explain my stance starting with the beginning.

I played during the seasons event and felt like that was the biggest waste of time personally. That's not to say the event was terrible altogether, it was well thought out, with the certain achievements to accomplish, check off, and then move on to the next, it was a bit new and exciting. It just wasn't executed well in my opinion. A big issue was that the reward information was never released until after event, so you never truly knew what you were getting out of it besides spheres. To dedicate that amount of time just to find out you barely get rewarded would be disheartening in my opinion. I remember I got to around lvl150 with fonewm until I got bored of it and stopped, think I made 3 spheres from rewards and a skin. But the seasons skin shop has never been updated so I can't even use that reward either which is further insult to time spent on that. Along with the divide in community that event made, half of the players played regular mode and the other half seasons so a small community was being split in two. The event would've been better had it been perhaps a month instead of 3 months time. Items and PDs were so scarce and the was the biggest deflation I've seen on this server. Would've been better to skip this event but I was so addicted to playing pso that I just played through it. Oh and the season rewards(mostly spheres) didnt get passed out until like a month later so the econ was hurting for quite awhile.

After seasons, I just remember auctions and trade forums were rough to deal with, could barely get any pds out of it. I would say if you want to make players continue playing after events then just consider adjusting hbrs during the non events. Some are a complete waste of time with hunts that aren't worth playing for. I remember playing an HBR EN1-EN4 with aizen and government for about a solid month, reached S rank and the goal was to hunt a 60h+ cvulc with en4 purplenum. This hunt is pretty damn brutal if you've ever tried it, not many people play this hbr so you are solo grinding it for the most part so it is not likely to get SS rank party, the most you can really hope for is a few S ranks to build hbr rate. Anyways, there is nothing in this hunt that is worth hunting besides cvulc and the rate of finding it is damn near impossible. I think governnment found 60h from this(which he then sold to aizen), and aizen and I kind of just wasted time hunting it. Cvulc is such an essential weapon to have, hunting for a 60h+ cvulc feels harder than hunting a 30h HS/excal. There aren't great hbrs for it and its not a rare enemy drop so there is no true way to hunt this item other than en4 hbr. This hunt is simply aids, I was very thankful that 75h cvulc was offered as a present during xmas.

Think I played easter event but not too much, got a 40h sn from gamble which was decent but remember it was hard to get anything out of the items and my initial impression was that it wasn't that great of an event so I don't remember putting much time into it to even give a lengthy explanation of my thoughts of it. I think it was during seasons as well? That was also an issue.

So now moving on to summer event, I had mixed feelings with this. The gold badges got nerfed so hard that it wasn't worth gambling, the meta was to just turn them into spheres. Couple that with spheres being a reward and now you just are hyper inflating the amount of pds/spheres in the economy. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, as said before there was a huge deflation period and the server desperately needed this to an extent. There should've been balance, the gold badge rate should've been the same as the previous year(2017) after the nerf(or perhaps before that nerf?) I was just starting back then so I didn't know what they were used for until the event ended. I remember the rate being ok/acceptable, think I found 30h fs, 30h sn, and 35h musashi from spinning about 50-60 gold badges. But I do remember that those more familiar with gold badges were able to attain 60h fs, 55h fs, 60h sn, 50h sn, and some 50h+ flowens. It seems unfair to me that the likelihood of getting uber weapons drastically changed and those unfamiliar with the system got the bad hand of the deal. I don't know at what rate these ubers were given out from gambles as I didn't get a chance to gamble during it, but after the nerf, I felt that it was fine, just salty knowing that the chance of getting a better item with easier rates could've been attained, but if the rate was that easy then it makes sense to nerf it to that degree so I agree with the initial nerf.) I think during 18' everyone told me to not gamble but after accumulating a lot of spheres I decided to go against those precautions and try my luck hoping for a 50h+ SN(oh and it sucked that FS wasn't offered this year). Think I spent around 80-85 badges and got 30h SN from like my 5th spin and then junk the next 80 spins or whatever, needless to say I was a bit salty that the gamble rates were actually that hard nerfed, harder than the previous years nerf.

A sweet spot would've been the sphere introduction and gold badge gambles with a moderate drop chance to make it worth gambling for instead of using them solely to pump more spheres. I remember all the spheres introduced inflated the economy quite a bit which could be a good thing. But I do remember auctions selling items for ridiculous amount by buyers that were relatively new that got rich quick from pd inflation and just simply used them for the sake of using them. I felt that 17' summer event was much better as there was actually a reason to use these spheres/pds on items that were worthy of being sphered rather than just using them as liquidity. I still enjoyed the hbr summer event as usual and that was the high point of that event.

Then moving on to cookie event, was slightly disappointing that this got nerfed, but it was a very slight nerf that it's not the biggest issue in the world. The hunt was now for excal rather than excal+v101. Also cookie boosts couldn't be combined with events so the rate wasn't as good as before. But I played through out that whole event, my friends were lucky to find good excals, its a nice event to hold you till xmas pretty much.

Moving on to xmas event. I was surprised just how good the item list was. I give huge props to whoever came up with that list. I remember joking that 75h cvulc would be a prize and that would be my motivator to play and sure enough it actually was. I was under the impression that the xmas event would just be a watered down version of last years xmas event, similar to how summer event was a watered down version but I couldn't have been more wrong. So I played constantly through this event. However all I found was 50h BL, 50h guard, 85h stick, two type/j-swords and v502. The "slight nerf" midway was disappointing, and after that it only really felt worth playing during the new years boost. I think I stopped on the 12th when it was scheduled to be finished with, although it was up for a few days more I couldn't find it in myself to keep playing as I had nothing really to show for it, getting only item tickets and hp mats/tp mats was cancer and it wasn't like you could use hbr to make your own success for hunts. The only people that seem to complain about the rate being too easy are those ones who actually found those uber items which is odd to me. I do think that perhaps there might of been slightly too many RMs/ast belt/guard but not by very much. I think guard price fell the sharpest but everything else seems to hold up well. So yeah all in all I was happy that ubers were pumped into the event, because now there is actually a purpose to use those spheres on items that actually demand it.

So yeah this is my input, it's a bit long but that's just because I've enjoyed playing here the past year so much. I might be a bit critical of staff at times, but really appreciate the work they put in and with an xmas event like this it shows. Critiques and responses from community is also good for an honest review. New fresh ideas and item lists are what make me come back personally as playing down nerfed watered down versions of past years things just feels like boring repetition that are less enticing. Oh and improved hbr month quest picks(or change? Usually they are just repetitions of the past picks as well) would probably make the scene more steady instead of feeling like only events are worth playing for. Thanks for all of your work, and hope this helps?

Last edited:
I enjoyed both the Easter (2017 and 2018) and Anniversary events because there were clear, tangible results to work towards to. I knew what I wanted from the shops/gambles, from serious stuff like Photon Crystals to gimmicks like the Tension Blaster, and eagerly played to find enough Eggs/Badges to find what I wanted. By having a temporary currency I could grind for, it gave me motivation to keep going besides leveling up my characters and "maybe something good will drop".

With the Christmas event, I felt like I didn't have any real clear goals to work towards to except a 1 in a million high hit Rambling May for my FOmarl from a Present and the obligatory leveling up other characters. I didn't need the million hit SoFs or Frozen Shooters the game shat at me, and I managed to round out my yellow weapon with specials collection fairly quickly. The Xmas event didn't have any community or personal killgates to work towards either, so it felt less like a big event everyone got together to do and more like a regular day on the server, but with boosted rates per week and a monster spam quest everyone and their grandma ran.

For me, the ideal event would be this:

* There is a temporary currency with both a shop and gambling you can work towards.
* The shops provide some fairly common things you'll want in bulk, like mats for very cheap, Photon Crystals, or mag cells, with something like a PS for people that can no-life to go for. Could also rip off Pagiani by having items from his shop appear in the event shop as well so we'll see more Snow Queens, Power Masers, Magical Pieces, and things like that floating around.
* The main prizes in gambling are practical things everyone would like or need, such as V101s, V502s, unreduced Hell weapons, 50h Demon's Laser for RAs, and essential weapons with some variable but not high hit, like SoFs, DoBs, or Frozen Shooters, so that people still getting on their feet can get some handy weapons for their classes. More common drops can be things like God/Battles or Three Seals, which are perfect for people starting out. That way, total noobs can get geared up faster, while people that have gotten their feet wet and like what they're seeing in PSO can aim for more important items that are useful at any level, from the level 80 RAcaseal that needs a way to be useful while starting off in Ultimate to the veteran needs some quick weapons for an alt he wants to make.
* Add a special gamble for no-lifers so they can take a very, very remote chance at something like a Photon Sphere or Syncesta (for a more convenient Lavis Blade).
* The items from regular gambling are not easily obtained, but not to the point where it becomes impossible to get anything.
* There are community killgates that encourage people to play together and to try out different quests, such as "kill 10,000 Dorphons this week to unlock triple XP during the event!" one week, then "Take down 20,000 Sinow Blues this week to boost DAR by 75% for the event!" the next week.
* Don't flood the game with special donut steel rares with absurd hit. The ultimate point to be to encourage to you keep playing PSO as it's intended instead of punching Vulmers in the face over and over so you'll get a present that'll drop a weapon you want with gamebreaking hit.

1st off I have been logging on to this server for over 3 years. I play 350+ days a year. These events just make the grind easier but still good about the progression. I love some of ideas about future event drops/prizes that can be bought with badges,eggs,etc and hope some will be implemented. And I only posted the above just so I could suggest that level 30 techs be added in some way to some events. Would a raf 30 hurt economy more than what you could get with a plat badge? People say keep rares rare. I agree. Just there is no real way of hunting a level 30 tech. It can't ruin a hunt that can't be hunted, like other past event drops.

I'll admit there was alot of stuff in the ult presents that shouldn't have been there, I mean mats in a present is about as pointless as finding coal in a present, although coal did have some uses. I agree with others about the anniversary event it actually has a better system imo where you can exchange badges for stuff which has been a really thought out event imo. I still think certain things shouldn't be in presents or any type of event drop, but certain novelties like daisy chain and the like should have been more prevailant than mats themselves. I still agree that ubers such as the 75 c/vulcs like the one I got in a present really shouldn't have happened. I can't say I wasn't excited to get them but I really don't feel as great as I would have if I had found them on my own without the present drop, but then again alot of pso drops whether uber or not are completely random.

With that being said I do enjoy the event even though not everybody is going to have the same opinion about them, I still have alot of fun. It's just that there are people who play this game alot and when the hear that someone found something in a present that took them no telling how long to get or by what they had to go through to get it, I can't imagine how insignificant that must make them feel. Sure this is just a game but I really hope they will take into consideration everything that has been discussed, cause alot of what they have to say is right.

Usually after events I take long breaks and have been guilty of just showing up around events, but I have actually wanted to keep playing which is something I haven't really wanted to do before.

I should note that each event will follow the structure it already has. That is:

Easter: A collectable that you use to gamble for the potential for something nice, but can cash in on some guaranteed items.
Anniversary: Server-wide milestones with exclusive quests and a collectable to use for various things.
Christmas: Exclusive quests with present drops that might give you something exciting, with a collectable to do some small extras.

So when giving feedback, it's best to look at it around those skeletons; for example, Christmas will never be like Anniversary nor will Easter be like Christmas, to give each event its own flavour and flair.

I don't play video games, but I think ya'll should cap hit to 60. Small exceptions could (should) be made for non-rare weapons to bring them in line with gold weapon ATA.

Also, I think the event team would have a way easier time doing event items if they got the weapon/armor/mag skinning down.
You know you want a dagger Poumn, stop lying. I'm sure thats probably not a very fun task though, just sayin'

Honestly, I liked the varied hit joke weapons the most even though I didn't get any crazy ones. I hope to see more stuff like that in the future. I don't participate much in the economy so I don't really have anything to say on that subject. Just gimme more chances at 60h joke weapons please.

I love the events, but I would like to see more items that you can't hunt for thrown into the mix, like the Yahoo! mag (can't get this normally, AFAIK).

Also, I would like a Guld in rotation, nobody hunts for those anyway.

As for an event idea, would it be possible to have an event where you could trade in various items for potentially good ones? Sort of like Claire's Deal but expanded. It could serve as a way to get rid of stuff that just sit in people's banks, and at the same time get something potentially valuable. Call it "Spring cleaning" or "recycling."

EDIT: Wanted to expand on my idea a bit. The way the event would work is, the player would get items by trading certain items, but the catch is, the player won't know what they get until they throw the items away. Each hidden item has a formula; trade specific items and you would get that hidden item. For example, if I wanted to get a Blizzard handgun, I would trade a barta amp and a handgun with no special.

Last edited:
Back