Episode 4 Drop Table Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the Hunter's Shell? :(

(lookg at Ult) I disagree with making boss drops suck. Why not try moving some more interesting items there, keeping with the ID? IE -
Greenil- Saint Milion: Master Raven 1/64, Shambertin: Ruby Bullet 1/50, Kondi: Photon Booster 1/64
Redria- Saint Milion: Rupika 1/36, Shamburger: Twin Blaze 1/36, Kondi: Parasitic Cell Type D 1/36
Skyly- Saint Milion: Hunter's Shell 1/36, Shambertin: Daisy Chain 1/36, Kondi: Zanba 1/10
etc

yeah nobody cares what I think but HA! HA! .... :oops:

Lost Master's Blaster and Lost Son Hopkins are back with some small changes:
  • Lost Master's Blaster has had its Ba Boota and Dorphon counts reduced
  • Lost Son Hopkins has had its Detonator count severely reduced (with most now being towards the end of the quest)
  • Lost Master's Blaster has been given a buff to its Yowie count slightly.

Reactions: Ade
I always considered the main purpose for the Ep4 boss to be a nice "cherry on top" for the already amazing Ep4 exp. Boss farming is a joyless experience that emphasizes the worst aspects of Eastern-style MMOs.

We're not going to buff the bosses because while it makes sense for the bosses to drop all the best items, it's not exactly exciting or fun. There is only 1 actual boss in Episode 4, and the E4 bosses don't particularly lend themselves to quest diversity or interesting hunts.

Episode 1/2 bosses hardly drop many items -- this is the goal we went for here, where they drop certain useful items but not very many amazing items. There are still some hunts to be done with the bosses (with a few items being exclusive, such as Galatine, MG+, Dragon Scale (yes I know about H/VH, that is getting axed later)), they are just somewhat worse than before.

It was done because people were unhappy and frustrated with the previous drop tables, and after a long time of thinking about it, we decided the tables should be redone.

You're given a free Section ID change anyway, but if you don't like better balance, people are quite free to not play here.

I agree that changing drop tables and rates shouldn't be done too much, but if it turns out that there are issues which are encouraging people to play less (or not at all), something should be done about it.

For a more detailed breakdown, here is the original post I made about this before implementation, mostly to gather the reaction to the changes, and judging from the posts, the majority of people were all for them.

I'm probably the only person this bothers so I'll shut up. I'm not the most active member of the community anyways.

Quite a few people left because of changes like this(in the beginning).
To be fair, at that point in time, Ephinea was much more focused on staying completely true to vanilla. And besides, unless they stopped playing PSO, its not like there was/is another option closer to Vanilla besides your own private server.

So...greenill is a good id now?

Last edited:
I always considered the main purpose for the Ep4 boss to be a nice "cherry on top" for the already amazing Ep4 exp. Boss farming is a joyless experience that emphasizes the worst aspects of Eastern-style MMOs.
*gong sounds*
agreed, mmos of the orient tend to be very grindy

Sega revised their vanilla Ep. 4 charts more than once, which is, in a sense, an admission that they didn't do something right.

I mean, is Dr. James Naismith (born in 1861) still considered the "main authority" on basketball?

Back when Sega made BB, the idea of "what makes a balanced online game" was vastly inferior to our ideas 11 years later. Is "stacking up all the best items on 1 or 2 IDs a good thing?" Is it somehow automatically justified as good because it was their original idea?

Should we still be throwing basketballs into peach baskets?

:p

Sega revised their vanilla Ep. 4 charts more than once, which is, in a sense, an admission that they didn't do something right. Is Dr. James Naismith still considered the "main authority" on basketball?

Back when Sega made BB, the idea of "what makes a balanced online game" was vastly inferior to our ideas 11 years later. Is "stacking up all the best items on 1 or 2 IDs a good thing?" Is it somehow automatically justified as good because it was their original idea?

Should we still be throwing basketballs into peach baskets?

:p
beautiful analogy

Reactions: Ade
Thanks, Cyberdude :)

I'm very happy with the ID rebalancing, and it's clear a lot of thought went into it. I do realize this creates a slippery slope, though. Do we also start rebalancing classes with buffs / nerfs? I would hope not, and here's why...

They are pretty separate things...classes and IDs. The reasoning behind the ID changes is because the game was being played in a very unfun and repetitive way save for 1 or 2 Section IDs on Ep4. However, any class can be any ID, the strengths / weaknessness of every class are very well known by this point, and any class can survive anywhere at a high level. Hopefully the class balance is left alone, and the ID balancing is viewed as a separate thing instead of a "gateway" to disrupting other parts of the game.

Matt, your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back