Ephinea PSOBB client for macOS 10.15+ & Apple Silicon

I use Keka.app to decompress it. Or other tools from third parties.
I was able to find an application called "The Unarchiver" that was able to decompress the Wineskin Winery file.

I then did the step in the video, then made the wrapper, and moved my setup folder in.

I'm back online!!! Thank you so very much @waptak !!!

Now if I could only find out how to set the client up so that I can alt+tab without crashing.

Last edited:
I’ve got a copy of the latest wineskin wrapper 21 running ephinea if anyone needs direct link PM me on discord Diediedie#2397

I’ve got a copy of the latest wineskin wrapper 21 running ephinea if anyone needs direct link PM me on discord Diediedie#2397
If you need to change function key, command key, alt key mappings.

Just right click on the wrapper icon after you’ve moved it into applications, then select show contents, then click on wineskin, you can find the tab in the wineskin interface, with the keyboard config and change the function keys or alt and command configs

If you want to install the add-ons, it’s the same idea, right click on the wrapper in your app folder, show contents, then go to drive c and ephinea pso folder and install the add ons the same way you would on windows

Last edited:
For some reason, on my M1 Air I can get this to work (after using the attr command in terminal on it), however then Ephinea downloads an update after I hit "Start Game" at the title screen, and restarts the client. After this, I can't even get the launcher to open when clicking the app on my MacBook. The only way to get to the title screen again is to reinstall the app, and then again it stops working after the game updates and closes itself. The title screen says I'm running "Ephinea v1392", don't know if that's relevant or what the screen after that is updating.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 8.15.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 8.15.37 PM.png
    822.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 8.16.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 8.16.06 PM.png
    665 KB · Views: 7
For some reason, on my M1 Air I can get this to work (after using the attr command in terminal on it), however then Ephinea downloads an update after I hit "Start Game" at the title screen, and restarts the client. After this, I can't even get the launcher to open when clicking the app on my MacBook. The only way to get to the title screen again is to reinstall the app, and then again it stops working after the game updates and closes itself. The title screen says I'm running "Ephinea v1392", don't know if that's relevant or what the screen after that is updating.
I just tried on my old Intel one and I'm getting same issue.
It seems online.exe is crashing, I gonna investigate.

You can boot the game by opening wineskin inside the app, and in advanced menu, change the starting program from online.exe to psobb.exe to bypass the launcher.

I uploaded a new version with a workaround to launch old launcher instead of the new one (named online_old.exe).

Looking at the callstack I think there is a missmatch with between 32 and 64bit .net framework loaded.
I don't know how the new launcher is compiled, I will try some stuff.

edit: I could achieve running it under a 32bit prefix.
For anyone build his/her own wrapper, the new launcher also have a crash at boot in the function reading the registry if there is no SonicTeam node existing.
Happens also on a clean Windows installation.

edit2:
@fightmilk could you try to run this 32bit wrapper on your M1 ?
The new launcher is booting correctly on this one for me.

Last edited:
I uploaded a new version with a workaround to launch old launcher instead of the new one (named online_old.exe).

Looking at the callstack I think there is a missmatch with between 32 and 64bit .net framework loaded.

For anyone build his/her own wrapper, the new launcher also have a crash at boot in the function reading the registry if there is no SonicTeam node existing.

edit2:
Hey dude, that worked like a charm. I didn't even need to run the xattr command, it just worked. What did you do differently than me? I also tried "making" my own app doing the wrapper thing. Also, I noticed the launcher looks different now in the options section. Is this what was updated and was breaking my previous build?

For anyone here trying to figure out what I did with the "wrapper" this kind soul has posted us, just "Open Package Contents" by right clicking the app after you get it in you Applications folder. Click Wineskin.app in the package contents and a program will open where you can click Install Program and then Copy Folders. Find the EpheninaPSO folder with all the game files (the one where the next level down is data, GameGaurd, etc.) and choose the whole EpheniaPSO folder itself too copy into the wineskin app. Then you can just open it and it works. M1 Air here.

edit2:
One more follow-up questions since you seem to be savvy with this. I see the icon file for the Ephinea launcher, and also there's a PSOBB icon. Is there way way to replace these? I see the icon.icns for the launcher I can replace, but I don't see where the PSOBB icon is being pulled from when the client starts. Just wanted to specifically replace PSOBB icon to something with a bit more resolution.

Oh, and also, any tips from anyone to get this to run at at least 30FPS or not lag on the M1 Air? Or is this just as good as it gets. Super slow when loading into the lobby with basically all graphics at their lowest as far as I can tell.

One more follow-up questions since you seem to be savvy with this. I see the icon file for the Ephinea launcher, and also there's a PSOBB icon. Is there way way to replace these? I see the icon.icns for the launcher I can replace, but I don't see where the PSOBB icon is being pulled from when the client starts. Just wanted to specifically replace PSOBB icon to something with a bit more resolution.
Cool, thanks for your reply, I will set it on the first post then. :)

On the previous version there was a super weird crash, I think it was the issue because it may were not using the correct .net framework architecture that match the one targeted when the launcher was compiled.
On the one I gave you there is only 32 bit hopefully it worked, and the app is smaller which is cool.

And there is also another crash if there is no settings values in the registry, I suppose if you install legit the game using the installer they also add some registry keys to avoid that, but since here it was just copying the game folder, on a clean new wrapper it would not work.
It seems they added some settings that are read/write from registry like sound volume, but I think their code don't test if keys are existing or not and it just crash because of null values.

So I simply managed to run option.exe once to save some values and then the new launcher boot without problem.

For the no need of xattr command, I don't know I didn't do anything special lol.

For the icon, in the dock you see the one from the exe, the launcher is squared, different from the icns I use for the app that I rounded to be accurate to macOS style.
If you want the PSO one for the app, the simplier should be to make a screenshot of it from the dock, then use a website to convert your image to icns format and set it in wineskin.

Cool, thanks for your reply, I will set it on the first post then. :)

On the previous version there was a super weird crash, I think it was the issue because it may were not using the correct .net framework architecture that match the one targeted when the launcher was compiled.
On the one I gave you there is only 32 bit hopefully it worked, and the app is smaller which is cool.

And there is also another crash if there is no settings values in the registry, I suppose if you install legit the game using the installer they also add some registry keys to avoid that, but since here it was just copying the game folder, on a clean new wrapper it would not work.
It seems they added some settings that are read/write from registry like sound volume, but I think their code don't test if keys are existing or not and it just crash because of null values.

So I simply managed to run option.exe once to save some values and then the new launcher boot without problem.

For the no need of xattr command, I don't know I didn't do anything special lol.

For the icon, in the dock you see the one from the exe, the launcher is squared, different from the icns I use for the app that I rounded to be accurate to macOS style.
If you want the PSO one for the app, the simplier should be to make a screenshot of it from the dock, then use a website to convert your image to icns format and set it in wineskin.
any tips on getting a better frame rate? I'm using the m1 air with graphics set to vertex fog and all low

You won't get more than 30fps, but I don't know how it works on your machine.
It is stuttering?
On mine it is mostly the CPU that is bottlenecking because it's crap and the Wine layer does not help, I was guessing the ARM ones are way faster.

Maybe you should try using a virtualized Windows with Parallels

Maybe you should try using a virtualized Windows with Parallels
parallels is crap!

Using that program on my old 2011 Macbook Air caused several corrupted directories on the Mac partition of my hard drive, leading to me having to pay $80 + tax each time it happened to get it fixed.

edit2:
Also, I've tried running the application from this excerpt after copying it to Applications, and gotten the "is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash" error. I then tried running the xattr command in terminal, only to be told that there is no such file.

I'm guessing that this is only for 10.15 and later OS's?

I'm on 10.13.6 with a 2017 Macbook Pro if that helps.

Also, I've tried running the application from this excerpt after copying it to Applications, and gotten the "is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash" error. I then tried running the xattr command in terminal, only to be told that there is no such file.

I'm guessing that this is only for 10.15 and later OS's?

I'm on 10.13.6 with a 2017 Macbook Pro if that helps.
I just got this done using the latest download. Once you copy the file into the Applications folder, rename it to EphineaPSO.app.

Problem is I can get the launcher to run, but when I hit start the launcher closes and nothing happens. I can't see any errors, etc. It just does nothing.

Edit: If you're having the same issue where you click start and nothing happens, find the post by NinJy on 20 Feb about updating the Wineskin engine, this fixed my issue.

Last edited:
I got "DLL Error" on left bottom at the title screen.
Does this require any windows defender settings?
( How can I change windows defender settings on Wineskin? )

I got "DLL Error" on left bottom at the title screen.
Does this require any windows defender settings?
( How can I change windows defender settings on Wineskin? )
You are using the latest client from the first post?
I don't see this error.

You are using the latest client from the first post?
I don't see this error.
I use ver 5.00 downloaded from the first post.

First time, manually cancelled update on launcher. (pic1)
PSO run with Ephinea v1392 (pic2). Patch downloaded successflly.

But when connect to server, it gets "Your client executable is too old" error. (pic3)

Then I accept update on launcher. (pic4)
PSO run with "! DLL ERROR !". (pic5)

then connect to server, it gets "This server is full" error. (pic6)

M1 macbookAir with Big Sur

Attachments

• pic1.png
    pic1.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 5
  • pic2.png
    pic2.png
    487.9 KB · Views: 4
  • pic3.png
    pic3.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 5
  • pic4.png
    pic4.png
    238.2 KB · Views: 4
  • pic5.png
    pic5.png
    512.8 KB · Views: 5
  • pic6.png
    pic6.png
    388 KB · Views: 5
I use ver 5.00 downloaded from the first post.

First time, manually cancelled update on launcher. (pic1)
PSO run with Ephinea v1392 (pic2). Patch downloaded successflly.

But when connect to server, it gets "Your client executable is too old" error. (pic3)

Then I accept update on launcher. (pic4)
PSO run with "! DLL ERROR !". (pic5)

then connect to server, it gets "This server is full" error. (pic6)

M1 macbookAir with Big Sur
I uploaded a new one with PSO updated, it is working for me, can you try?

I uploaded a new one with PSO updated, it is working for me, can you try?

Thank you!

I tried new one.
Update on launcher is automatically skipped.

But PSO run with "! DLL ERROR !".
then connect to server, it gets "This server is full" error.

First time boot, it need xattr command.
(version used in previous post also need xattr command)
Does this matter?

Back