Disconnection issue after valentine event

Shiga321

Guildcard
I am curious if you are aware of disconnects going on lately with players. I haven't had issues like this where multiple people crash out of the game at the same time.
The last occurrence was walking through town and someone joined which suddenly crashed the window.
The previous was in a Halloween cookie run, where three of us got game crashed a little over half way. (I ran into them when I logged back in and he said he disconnected.
I looked at the game and seen it was only 1 person left, then seen the other guy.
Everything else runs fine and I Pinged the Ephinea webpage with no packet loss. Ran a speed test and great results. 18mbps up, 99 down.
I've had this happen while runnin music and not running music just to try something different.
My router has no error codes as well as the 'log' folder in Ephinea game folder.
I get the disconnections happen, but this is wildy more frequently and just looking for a possible why.
Not a fan of leaving leaving mid quest with teammates to decide to reset or carry on.

I tried to ask in Discord, but I guess Matt and those moderators don't respond to those issues there.

First, are you talking about disconnecting or crashing? The title says disconnection but you mentioned 'someone joined which suddenly crashed the window.'

The game uses TCP--any break in the connection will cause a disconnect. Multiple players disconnecting at once is strange but I don't see anything in the error or cheat logs that indicate multiple players disconnecting rapidly.

There seems to be a bogus TCP buffer optimization in some modems or routers where after a certain amount of activity, the modem/router will wait to fill a buffer before sending the data to the system. This often causes a *disconnect* when you are not the host and you enter a boss cutscene, because your client is stuck and waits until the party leader says the boss cutscene has finished. I had this issue for a few years before replacing my modem and router, and it often caused disconnects when someone joined the game, or even when I stopped moving for 10-15 seconds (such as during a Photon Blast chain). If you have this issue, you can diagnose it by running Wireshark and when the disconnection seems to be happening (such as frozen after a boss cutscene), spamming a chat shortcut and fixing it should cause a bunch of duplicate ACK requests in the wireshark log.

If you are disconnecting a lot with similar symptoms, try on another connection such as mobile data if possible. That's how I narrowed down my problem after trying everything 2 years ago.

If the game is crashing, first check EphineaPSO/log/dllerror.log. You said you already checked the log folder but make sure you check this file specifically in case you were looking at something else. Errors logged there are ephinea.dll closing the game.

Check Event Viewer in Windows. On the left, selection Windows Logs > Application. Then find an "Error" level event for psobb.exe for when it crashed and double click it. What's the final component of the fault module path (so "psobb.exe" if it's C:\EphineaPSO\psobb.exe) and the fault offset? What about the other crashes? I don't need the full details--just the final component of the fault module path (psobb.exe, ephinea.dll, or maybe something like dsound.dll) and the fault offset. Check for other Error events for psobb too. This lets me check where in the client the game is crashing and usually why. The reasons behind some crashes are immediately obvious with this info (but if it's dsound.dll crashing, I can't help you there).

Thanks for the response and detail on it.
There is a difference of crashing and disconnecting, didn't think to establish that. I have had issues occur of both, the crashing started after V day event ended and never had it previous. The disconnect has been a rare occurrence besides when I had a 3mbps upload and had my Provider come out to look at the connection. Who found 4 splitters and 6 connections when there was suppose to be 3. He wrote in his report that i was being pirated. (Different story)
As far as issues before have been the ISP broadcast error, apparently the modem call out to ISP regularly. This is an issue log i have seen recently now popping up. Debating getting a new router or like you said, try a different type of connection. Although I do not have hot spot. I could take my laptop to a friends or library for a little bit.
Anyway to the point.
I got a new internet package few days after this, 450 down, 28 up. (edited in)
I didn't think of checking the event viewer on the issues. I did do some checks on the router administrative log and found issues there which i will attach if interested.
The event viewer did show issues of error and crash reports.
disconnects state: APP CRASH RESPONSE: NOT AVAILABLE
crash report: looks to be ntdll.dll as it was on most, 1 had the second report of psobb.exe as the target issue.
*AppName psobb.exe
AppVersion 0.0.0.0
AppTimeStamp 00000000
ModuleName ntdll.dll
ModuleVersion 10.0.22621.3085
ModuleTimeStamp fc3ed07c
ExceptionCode c0000005
FaultingOffset 0008fe1e
ProcessId 0x63ec
ProcessCreationTime 0x1da69ea6c4b08bf
AppPath C:\Users\EphineaPSO\psobb.exe
ModulePath C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

*AppName psobb.exe
AppVersion 0.0.0.0
AppTimeStamp 00000000
ModuleName psobb.exe
ModuleVersion 0.0.0.0
ModuleTimeStamp 00000000
ExceptionCode c0000005
FaultingOffset 00173b09
ProcessId 0x6730
ProcessCreationTime 0x1da675951b00a01

Thank you very much again for just pointing me to the direction and maybe what to do about the ntdll.dll, if possible. Keep up the good work.

Attachments

• log failure.png
    log failure.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back