Change Client Language / 日本語でプレイ

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
You can change your client's language by selecting your preferred language on the Ship Select or typing /lang while in-game. (1=English, 2=Japanese)

When you reconnect to the patch server after changing your language, the appropriate files to skin the client will also be downloaded. (Unitxt, graphics, free roam quest script files, and so on...)

Q. どうしたらゲームの文章を日本語に変換できますか?

A. ゲームの中で、Ship SelectからLanguage Selectを選び、Language Selectから日本語を選んでください。そして、パッチサーバに接続します。

Re: Language Patch Files

I could possibly make a Spanish one, but since I haven't seen many Spanish speakers on the forum, probably not worth atm.

There's probably quite a few hispanophones (I saw a thread with a bunch of people in it), it's just that there's not much point speaking other languages on the forum, you know? :p I know there's quite a lot of French speakers, for example -- I speak it too, but you probably wouldn't have guessed judging from my forum posts.

Sodaboy said:
[…] but if anyone wants to work on a translation or submit an existing one, let me know.

How would translating work? Is there a special text editor to open the files?

falkenjeff said:
Yeah that's the point though - out of all the languages out there, due to this being a Japanese game, we're more likely to get Japanese players who don't speak great English, rather than French/Spanish/etc players who don't speak great English.

Did SEGA ever release a French or Spanish server when they were running things? Or was it just Japanese, English, and possibly Chinese?
SEGA had all their games in the European languages (French, Spanish, German, at least), so yes, there will be PSO players who know only those languages.

Also you have to remember that not everyone will be posting on the forums -- plenty of people are just told about the server by their friends and just hop on to play.

falkenjeff said:
I live in Canada and I can't even speak French because it wasn't forced on me. And TBH that is actually a huge failure on part of our education system. If they were doing their job properly, I would be bilingual right now.
What? Do you blame all your other shortcomings on people other than yourself? If you really wanted to be bilingual, you would have learned another language by your own means. What does this have to do with anything though?

Education never taught me French, but I learned it anyway because I wanted to.

Learning a language is free, and while it takes time, it can always be done no matter how busy you are.

Auldrant and Lumireis have been updated with multi-language quest support.

Most quests, the lone exception being "AOL CUP -Sunset Base-", can be played in Japanese by typing "/lang 2" to switch to Japanese. (This changes your account preference so quest menus and quest files are always sent in Japanese. You can change back with "/lang 1".)

Tethealla original strings, like the menu for selecting PSO2 drop styles and messages from custom commands, are still in English for now.

If we get quest files for existing quests in other languages, we will add those in the future.

Fodra will be updated most likely tomorrow morning as it's busy right now.

Change Client Language / 日本語でプレイ

The patch server has been updated to send the necessary files to change your client from English to Japanese and vice versa, depending on the language select you make with /lang or on the ship select. Unitxt, game skins, free roam quest data, executables, etc. are all sent the next time you check in with the patch server. Thus, the .ZIP file patches are no longer needed.

This also means you can no longer get back your ALL CAPS rare item names, since the Unitxt file needs to be replaced when going from Japanese back to English.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but... deal with it. :D

Actually, I'll be adding another Language option soon that will let you use custom files again. I won't get around to this until tomorrow or maybe the day after.

Oh, man. Thank you for doing that. I really do prefer vanilla caps and losing skins would suck (especially if I ever find those transparency fixes...someone wanna help me out!?)

OK, "Custom" has been added to the list of options on the Ship Select and usable through /lang.

If you set your language preference to "Custom", the only thing the patch server will send you is object counts for maps as well as the latest executable with IME disabled.

You can use the "Custom" preference to place whatever textures and text files you want in your data folder.

Deleted. Figured out that I just named it something incorrect. >.<

Thank you so much for adding this back in!!!

1. Change Language to "Custom" in game.
2. Exit client completely.
3. Drop the all CAPS unitxt file in the data folder as unitxt_j.prs
4. Restart the client.

That's pretty much it.

If you're having issues, make sure you've got the right unitxt file and that it's actually named unitxt_j.prs and not unitxt_j.prs.prs and in the correct data folder in the game client folder.

Back