Can't launch game after update

BleepBloop

Guildcard
After downloading the last update I've been unable to launch pso. When I first launched the game it lauched then crashed on logging in. Now the game doesnt launch at all after clicking the launch button.

The game is still white listed etc in windows defender, not sure what the issue is.

Last edited:
Verify the presence of psobb.exe, ephinea.dll and online.exe

If PsoBB.exe or Ephinea.DLL are missing, they most likely were deleted by your antivirus. You can download new copies by launching online.exe

If online.exe is missing and either PsoBB.exe or Ephinea.DLL is missing, there isn't much you can do in that situation but reinstall.

If online.exe is missing, it can be downloaded again by selecting "Patch Download" after running PsoBB.exe

But yeah, any files missing points to your antivirus still blocking the game despite your exceptions.

Thanks yeah I had that issue before, its all there I think. When I click launch nothing happens.

Okay never mind I'm a moron. Running as admin fixed it no idea why.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Attachments

• allthere.PNG
    allthere.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 23
Not sure! I'd try the good ol' reboot maybe. I don't know. When running online.exe, clicking "Start Game" simply attempts to launch PsoBB.exe

When you run online.exe, does it do anything at all? Does it patch completely and end?

If so, just try running PsoBB.exe by itself at that point. All you need online.exe for is to patch, but if everything is patched, run PsoBB.exe and you should get into the game.

If double clicking PsoBB.exe doesn't do anything, it sounds like something is stopping it for some reason... I'm not at your computer so it's hard for me to say what.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also check your resolution settings in online.exe. Don't set anything higher than your monitor's resolution or the game won't launch or will launch and close immediately.

Last edited:
Yeah I get you man no worries. For sure something was stopping it.

When I ran PsoBB.exe before nothing happened but I guess whatever stopped it before is bypassed by running as admin? Well I whitelisted all the .exe etc so not sure what was wrong. Running as admin is fine.

Thanks for your time though. If i find out what was wrong specifically I can post it.

I'm having a issue after the update.
1. Online.exe still asks from admin.
2. PsoBB.exe pops up (in windowed mode) the window is black and only the cursor is there.
3. I've checked to see if any of the three files are missing and they are all there
4. I re downloaded the installer to see. but that did the same thing except didn't ask for admin.(black screen)
Help.

As I stated in the post in the News forum, online.exe will continue to ask for admin until you patch from INSIDE the game, which will download a new online.exe which doesn't need admin. (Online.exe cannot be updated from the launcher since it's already running at the time.)

No idea regarding #2. I'd check to see if you have any graphical overlays enabled and, if so, disable them to see if that helps. Also make sure the resolution you've set is not higher than your monitor.

no overlays. turned off the xbox one that Windows has already. 480 res

Well, there is still something in your setup causing an issue. On my very basic Windows 10 install with a modern NVIDIA GPU, including the Geforce Experience loaded, I have no issue running everything without admin and everything just works.

But, as a workaround for you, you can just run the game in admin mode manually by right clicking and running as admin or editing the shortcut on your desktop.

There really isn’t much else I can do to help you get it running otherwise. Literally the only thing that was changed was the execution level used in the manifest. No other code was changed in the executable.

Well, there is still something in your setup causing an issue. On my very basic Windows 10 install with a modern NVIDIA GPU, including the Geforce Experience loaded, I have no issue running everything without admin and everything just works.

But, as a workaround for you, you can just run the game in admin mode manually by right clicking and running as admin or editing the shortcut on your desktop.

There really isn’t much else I can do to help you get it running otherwise. Literally the only thing that was changed was the execution level used in the manifest. No other code was changed in the executable.
so i did some checking and all my PC games are no loading or black screen like psobb. looked online and people are saying it a graphic driver issue
then my system restarted and tried again to run psobb it started up fine. but after closing. it black screened upon re-opening, went searching again found a nvida driver to try and fix it but the driver installer stopped working.... then i did a restart and now im on psobb kinda waiting to see if anything happens... dont know if i fixed it or it fixed its self. for the time being im working again ..

I too, had this problem. First, I updated the dickens out of Windows. Windows for me was just, not downloading updates? Dunno why. Was months behind, had to download most of it by hand from the Microsoft Update Catalogue.

Hit the Windows key, start searching for "Check for udpates", and you know, check for updates. If you get some that show up but don't start downloading, for some reason, look at the KB0023847 number to it, and search the Microsoft Update Catalogue for it, then install it. If you're like me you'll be doing that for a while.

Once you've done that, if Ephinea PSO still isn't working, go to Windows Security, Virus and Threat Protection, under "Quick Scan" there's "Allowed Threats". Click that, and go to Protection History. Click on "Threat quarantined", or "Threat removed or restored". In the window that opens up, hit "Actions", then select "Restore".

This might happen for multiple .exes as well as the ephinea.dll, so make sure you've gotten all of them restored. Hope this helps for other people!

Back