Buffing Support FO items

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vhaman

The Experienced Newbie
There's a lot of Force items that work well for support, but I personally feel that support is only part of the utility of a Force. Many support items are gender specific, or don't have enough use to justify their item slot. I feel that some changes to the equipment could make Forces a more valuable aspect of a party beyond SDJZ slaves. Here's some ideas I have on the topic.

Easy Method:
Modify existing items to benefit more players.
-Shifta Merge now boost Shifta and Deband range by 100%
-Deband Merge now boosts Jellen and Zalure range by 100%
- Resta and Anti merges now boost both techs
-Madams Parasol, Madams Umbrella, and Tyrells Parasol and Clio are no longer gender specific and may be equipped by FOnewm and FOmar

Harder method:
New support tech boosting items.
I feel a Unit is the best option here. A unit for SD, one for JZ, and one for Resta and Anti would work. Of course one unit for all 6 techs wouldn't be ideal, but also kinda OP.

Breaking vanilla method:
Boost all support tech ranges by default.

I believe the server admins take a pretty hard stance to modifying items. Removing the class restriction so that HUne could equip Clio is really all they've ever done. I think they said that's it, unfortunately.

Hey, FOs aren't just SDJZ slaves! If you play FO and feel like you are, you haven't opened your mind to the possibilities :lenny: Not to mention your suggestions are for support techs, which would just make FOs more effcient SDJZ slaves, haha.

But in all seriousness, Ade is correct that this has been brought up previously. I understand that having broader support merges etc leaves more space for things like melee and attack techs, but I personally doubt that making FO techs more powerful will happen on this server. But that's my humble opinion. There are a lot of opinions on what's straying from vanilla and what's vanilla with sprinkles. Interesting suggestion, though.

Last edited:
Hey, FOs aren't just SDJZ slaves! If you play FO and feel like you are, you haven't opened your mind to the possibilities :lenny: Not to mention your suggestions are for support techs, which would just make FOs more effcient SDJZ slaves, haha.

But in all seriousness, Ade is correct that this has been brought up previously. I understand that having broader support merges etc leaves more space for things like melee and attack techs, but I personally doubt that making FO techs more powerful will happen on this server. But that's my humble opinion. There are a lot of opinions on what's straying from vanilla and what's vanilla with sprinkles. Interesting suggestion, though.
I play FOnewm, and the idea here is to let me actually use my equipment slots for combat, rather than having to lug a Glide and a resta merge around to have acceptable range on those techs.

I completely get not wanting to break the semi-vanilla feel, but isn't the idea of letting people actually contribute the same as the reasoning behind other changes, such has the exp share, or removing damage cancel?

I just don't get the hesitation on changing equipment but having no qualms on changing other game mechanics. Damage Cancel for example forced Forces into a support role, as a 300 damage rafoie canceling a 1500 smack from a cast wasn't helpful to the team nearly as much as SDJZ/R and standing around waiting for others to do that damage.

I find that as a FOnewm, my JZ range in particular, without Glide, isn't enough to hit entire spawns. So for me to use my preferred playstyle, and also contribute support, I must equip Glide, then unequip it ever single spawn. That's time away from contributing damage. However I could absolutely justify using a Merge that had that effect, or better yet, sacrifice a Unit slot for the range boost.

Level 30 jz usually gets medium sized rooms. I don't even have to use gd that often for jz buffing as much as just getting an extra 15 ice, fire, or dark resist tbh every now n then tbh

keep in mind that a lot of mobs do enjoy different spawn times. So now n then you have to recast jz even with gd.

Also keep in mind z>j support wise. Only cast j if you have a ton of foes on you or they are beating your friends directly. Deband is great enough to support most hits actually. Really the most dangerous attacks in game you can't reduce anyway.

Also while fonewn can't dish as much physical damage as oh say fomar/l he still has a better demons selection. Sof is the best overall slicer in the game that won't cost you 50pd to make, bringer's, demons srank cards, demons srank mechs as well all rock. Later on if you want it's fun to invest in a demon srank j-cutter as well imo.

Demons mechs in general rip some high profile foes to shreds.

Even Foney can fight some with demons. Magic damage is nothing compared to demons stuff

I see what you're saying. But pretty much every class in PSO, played effectively, requires rapidly switching items. It's probably just a fact of the game that a person's "preferred playstyle" might not be the most optimal one. Part of the expertise is using your quick menu quickly!

I don't agree that FOnewm can't use his equipment slots for combat. In fact, all of my slots are used for melee. A pretty standard FOnewm setup is something like v801, Adept, Smartlink, and v101. Or v502, depending on the situation. My merge is usually rafoie or gifoie, and I carry around a Glide Divine and a Striker of Chao to do my buffs/debuffs. FOnewm's JZ range is buffed compared to other FOs. I think it might just be a matter of knowing your range and using Glide when you're in big rooms.

If you're curious, here are the weapons I keep in my inventory at all times: Glide Divine, Striker of Chao, Psycho Wand, Magical Piece, Slicer of Fanatic, 60h Charge Assault, Mercurius Rod. This sounds like a lot, but it's really a good way to optimize your techs, buffs, and melee damage.

Early on in leveling, it may feel like you're in need of the Resta merge, Shifta merge, etc, but in reality I've found that weapons are the best way to optimize buffs/debuffs. Not to mention higher level players mostly don't rely on/want resta anyway.

Doesn't seem like techs contribute much to damage, but once you have merges on your attack techs, full mat plan, and an optimized mag, you'll be doing plenty of damage in ep4 and some in ep1. Ep2 will really just never be good for techniques except for maybe megid, so you'll need melee weapons anyway.

Tl;dr I don't really think his equipment needs to be changed because I don't think he's really hindered that much.

She doesn't.

But anyway, while I'm personally not opposed to streamlining the FO merges as I do agree they're a pain (no actual buffs, just combining), other people might not be so appreciative as Ephinea was billed as server that had vanilla class and item parameters, meaning you played the game as it once was. I made the Clio change way back when because that item just made no sense, so I made it make sense.

This doesn't mean start pestering me about changing items also, as the other admins might not agree.

Just gonna close this topic as there's not really much more to say.

Last edited:

"Vanilla with Sprinkles".....Sounds familiar....=') <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back