About banner items in inaccessible areas

Yeah, he got his Lavis Cannon, unfortunately for him the stat roll was 0/0/0/0. :P

Honestly, if it's an item you care about, you'll probably end up screening the banner anyway. Nobody misses screening a Guld drop in their game, for example.

It's definitely relevant, stop being pedantic because I'm trying to be nice Skylar. You need to stop doing this.

The screenshot of the banner further validates that the drop dropped for you, it's not perfect proof, no, but I am asking for it and that's the rules.

"Honestly, if it's an item you care about, you'll probably end up screening the banner anyway. Nobody misses screening a Guld drop in their game, for example.
"

I certainly would do that... can imagine some newbies won't. Nostalgia lost a red ring because he wasn't fast enough in ma1c. He got teleported out of it before he could reach Red Ring. Is there any solution for this or is it just bad luck, which I can understand from GM point of view... It still sucks though...

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Honestly, if it's an item you care about, you'll probably end up screening the banner anyway. Nobody misses screening a Guld drop in their game, for example.
"

I certainly would do that... can imagine some newbies won't. Nostalgia lost a red ring because he wasn't fast enough in ma1c. He got teleported out of it before he could reach Red Ring. Is there any solution for this or is it just bad luck, which I can understand from GM point of view... It still sucks though...[/QUOTE]

It does suck. But if it were on any system before the private servers, it would be too bad. If you missed it, you missed it. Matt seems to offer with enough proof to help with it, but he has absolutely no obligation to do so.

"It does suck. But if it were on any system before the private servers, it would be too bad. If you missed it, you missed it. Matt seems to offer with enough proof to help with it, but he has absolutely no obligation to do so."

I know you are right, just trying to improve the idea by asking questions if there is a way around it... If not, then too bad, if so, then we'll find out right. Debate is never a bad thing.

I will say that I can help in other situations, but only if you can present some sort of proof (i.e. a screenshot) that it dropped for you. If you can't show me anything to help your situation, it would just be too bad.

I know :) But it's something that should not be possible at first, and Matt is offering his help against even the point of balancing by creating an item, to satisfy one user due to errors. Official servers would not do so no matter the case.

Matt did confirm that with a screenshot showing that an item did drop, and the logs, he could probably help. This is already, in my opinion, a breach in server balance. It can cause a precedent and ppl will flock to ask for items for various reasons. This is why Matt has been so very strict about what he needs to get the item.

P.S. this is speculation on my understanding of the situation.

the problem is that you may not know its inaccessible till after the banner is gone

here is an example (h/mind for reference):

28k4hnm.jpg

i still appreciate this being done though
@Matt

So this picture would not qualify, correct?

@Skylar - Matt has requested specific requirements to have the item again. Any other debate (especially with the tone you are using) is not to be done here. I suggest that you ASK Matt to send the request with your suggestions to the admin team, and they can then decide on the specifics of these demands or post on the forum to ask the server players opinion if they want the input. They're the ones deciding, and that's that.

@Matt - Any further comment at this point will just go downhill :\ I suggest taking a step back, think about what would be required and what can be done in these cases, and come back with a plan.

I will say that I can help in other situations, but only if you can present some sort of proof (i.e. a screenshot) that it dropped for you. If you can't show me anything to help your situation, it would just be too bad.

Well, this sounds positive for me to say the least...

The logs are always checked... I'm not going to take anyone's word at face value (even with a screen, the screen just helps verify), I'm not sure why you think I'm going to do that.

To me you sound angry that I'm not bending over backwards for someone who doesn't seem to have literally the most basic of PC functions (taking a picture of the screen). Have you considered that you might be the problem? There are many alternatives such as Fraps, ShadowPlay and Steam (and probably others).

If you're some sort of outlier, it's up to you to fix the problem, not us.

This will be my last statement to you on this, so don't bother trying to argue (or I'm seriously going to boot you for clearly trying to cause a fuss over nothing).

What information is the banner showing you that server logs and a server timestamp via /time wouldn't?

Banner doesn't show character name. It shows party name. I could screenshot an inaccessible photon drop and screenshot the guld banner that showed for my party member. The banner proves nothing. (And in that case, if you didn't check the logs, you just duplicated a Guld)

Although I can understand a lot of people who don't like his tone... If you look purely argument based and emotions a side... uhh...doesn't he have a point? I know I am being the devil's advocate here (please don't blame me for it), what does the banner proof if I may ask? What extra information does it give you as a mod. This is a genuine question I have and I can't think of anything. There only is a problem if more party members are saying the drop was theirs, (and classic mode would be a problem too).

Skylar, I don't dislike you but you probably need to learn a bit better how to communicate with others to prevent al this hate on you... You might or might not deserve it but please chill in your language used because if you sound angry, you will get an angry responds back. No one else is getting banned. Getting used to social rules is of importance too, not just here but also in life. Coming across as a decent person without letting their emotions getting out of hand helps with bringing up (perhaps) good idea's.

Sigh.

The banner is the only thing that is logged if the item is not picked up. I need the screenshot of the banner and the item because:

- It verifies that the item is inaccessible (and is why it was never picked up)
- It verifies that you are in an area where the requested item actually drops (so you can't just use random banners for items)
- The item and banner on the same screen helps verify that the item in question is actually what it is.

I then check the logs to make sure that specific item was never picked up, and now I can give it to the right person.

You're trying way too hard to argue against me here. The rules are there for a reason.

EDIT:

Yes, you could force an inaccessible item then leave the game open for a week until a Guld drops, except:

- The Guld would be picked up
or
- I'd get two reports of the same Guld

The safety net is fine.

Last edited:
Although I can understand a lot of people who don't like his tone... If you look purely argument based and emotions a side... uhh...doesn't he have a point? I know I am being the devil's advocate here (please don't blame me for it), what does the banner proof if I may ask? What extra information does it give you as a mod. This is a genuine question I have and I can't think of anything. There only is a problem if more party members are saying the drop was theirs, (and classic mode would be a problem too).

The admin team needs a screenshot because the logs only record the banner (room X has found item Y), so they don't know which player the item dropped for unless that player picks it up. By providing a screenshot of the banner and the item, you demonstrate that the item announced by the banner dropped for you, not another player.

There is one possible case of abuse that I can think of: a banner item drops for someone else in the party, but you screenshot the banner and another red box (say, a PD) and try to claim the banner item for yourself. However, this possibility is extremely rare, as it would require the following: (1) the other player did not pick up their banner item, since the admins can tell if the item has been picked up, and (2) you're able to screenshot an out-of-bounds item with the same party to pretend that it dropped with the banner.

I think that the best solution to the screenshot issue is to make the server log whom the item dropped for. Then, all a player would need to do is specify the banner item dropped and approximate time for an admin to retrieve it. However, until that's possible, I think that asking for screenshots is likely the best way to prevent false claims for these out-of-bounds items. Without a screenshot of the banner and item, there's currently no better way to prove that the item dropped for you specifically.

Thanks Matt for this new addition! While completely unnecessary for you to add this, I appreciate that there is a reasonable way to retrieve "lost" items, even though it is relatively uncommon. We've seen it happen a million times where people get a screenshot of the banner, and then right after a picture of the irretrievable red box. Nice safety net! Appreciate the hard work as always.

Back