A new way to play PSO! "Ironman" mode.

I believe the intention is to create an official mode based around this concept, in which case that command would be disabled.

Ok, not having /wipecmode would make them much less OP in ironman.

has anything been said on wither or not this could be an official account thing like making a HC charecter?

has anything been said on wither or not this could be an official account thing like making a HC charecter?
I've personally only heard rumors of such a thing, it would be cool in one way to have a mode like it, but if they made such a mode it would be rather painful if you couldn't have a common bank, because if you were to find something super rare that didn't pertain to your character's class, it would just be a souvenir. I liked the idea and had fun with it when it was still fresh, but it didn't last all that long unfortunately. Seasons was a fun event that came pretty close to having the same idea as this one had, but you could trade things with other players I believe.

Somehow I either missed this thread, or it didn't click when I read it. Turns out this mostly matches what I'm doing already. I'm running purist and noluck, with a long term full game completionist goal, and I am not accepting anything from other players. I'm also not putting [IM] in the name because character limits, so I've failed rule 1, but I do hit most of the rest! So, my thoughts:
  • I accept anything available without trading. This means I will accept anything from any in game shops/rewards:
    • Coren - I realize that Coren was not in the base game. However, without Coren, meseta is only used for charge weapons. I am beyond happy that Ephinea has an actual meseta sink, and I intend to take full advantage of it.
    • S-Ranks - With a full completionist goal in mind, I will need to run a lot of challenge mode. Without trading, actually buying specials will be also prohibitively expensive. Honestly, I just want the items. I also think limiting challenge mode runs is a bit silly regardless because the goal of an ironman account is essentially to extend gameplay beyond the normal amount of hours the base game offers. If I am trying to extend gameplay, I would specifically not want to lock myself out of playing more challenge mode more than once (which is effectively what turning off /wipecmode does since there is no point in running more for no reward). Challenge mode would be dead content if you turn off the command for ironmen.
    • Event rewards - Half of the reward for events on this server seems to be exp/rate boosts, which I specifically don't get. However, there are certain things you can only get from events. Again, to minimize dead content, ironmen need to have events available.
  • I do use the shared bank
    • This is an ironman account not an ironman character. No one character can collect every item, and no section ID provides everything that any one class would want (I think). Is it a little silly in this context to transfer a 200 mag over to a new character to start leveling? Probably, but I went through the effort of making that mag myself. Same with any units or items. You may disagree with me, but my own perspective is that any time and effort I put into my account should be rewarded regardless of the character I am using. PSO's loot mechanics were designed around the idea of trading and by ignoring that aspect of the game, you absolutely have to have another way for your account to progress.
  • I limit each character to 1 section ID change - the first
    • I can't be bothered to calculate my ID when naming my character - I'd rather name my character and change the ID when I load in the first time. If this is too stringent, then a 6 month or 1 year cooldown might be appropriate. The point is to not abuse this mechanic.
  • I prioritize free roam over questing if enemy appearances and time tables are reasonable
    • Running TTF for dragon is unacceptable - it takes <30 minutes to reach in free roam. Running TTF for caves boss is more acceptable since committing 2 hours to a single kill just isn't something I can do regularly as an adult (free roam VH subterranean desert took me 3 hours solo because I suck - never again).
  • I won't be running any explicit exp grinding quests, or allowing others to carry me for exp
    • That quest that drops no items? I will never play that on these characters. Ew. I accidentally joined one once and hated it the whole time.
    • I'll generally try to avoid playing with people at a significantly higher level than me, and never for the purpose of grinding exp. Rare hunting only, and only if I can solo the content anyway.
  • I will play in other people's parties
    • If you disallow this, then ironmen will never play together. Again, I am treating this as an ironman account, not a character, so I have access to all section ID's anyway with some character grinding. It might be a bit against the spirit to just have a group of 4 people with different ID's take turns hosting, but I'd rather some people do that than never get to play with anyone.
    • I realize Runescape ironmen cannot play anything co-op. Runescape also allows you to show off your stats and loot without actually playing together, and at least half of Runescape is trying to find places nobody else is at so you can get some peace and stop fighting for resources. PSO requires you to play together to show off your cool finds (excepting screenshots) and the challenge is primarily just in finding all of the rare drops on your own account. No need to make it explicitly antisocial at the same time.
I think that covers everything (sorry for the wall of text). I'm torn on this being turned into a real account type, since I'm sure we would be unable to convert existing accounts and it would somewhat invalidate my efforts on my current account, but I'm not sure if that is something that will happen anyway so I won't worry about it for now.

---

Now when I do finish and/or need a break from this grind, y'all better watch out for my ultimate ironman character, who will be unable to use any bank for any reasons, on top of the other restrictions in place for normal ironman accounts. That will be a delightful disaster of a character as I struggle to decide what is worth keeping and what isn't. By the way, if anyone wants to steal that idea and turn it into an awesome youtube series, make sure you share it here.

i agree pretty much 100% with redria7's outlook on how he is playing this id like to see it set up pretty much that way i just dont think id end up playing this way unless it was an "Official" option like HC is now id like people to know when i join oh hes ironman and have the server to help hold accountable/legitamize that your playing in such a manor as you claim to be.

i think this would be a great addition to the server though as mentioned earlier in this post a ton of other games such as maplestory and runescape have modes like this and it does give a way to keep those getting burnt out motivated

This is a great concept for an account mode and can keep things interesting when the grind gets a bit dull on your normal account.

I've recently started playing HC and I've decided to make my character self found too (but not solo, just because I find multiplayer too enjoyable of an experience).

I think if this concept was turned into an actual account mode, I'd have to make one and join in on the fun!

Last edited:
Back