7th Anniversary Event Thread

The only thing that's not better than playing during regular times is EXP, so I'm just going to hazard that this person is upset because we're not doing big EXP boosts for extremely fast levelling, which is not really what Ephinea is about.

Gigantic EXP boosts will never happen again, by the way. New players who started during last anniversary (I'm talking actually new) were getting to level 180-190+ during the last anniversary, so something had to give.

But they are all active at the same time, making them way more effective than usual.
20 DAR and 20 RDR > 25 DAR.

Also, MA:E quests are stupidly good quests for hunting things.
The weeklys are not all on at the same time maybe read my post next time.

Taking away the boosts have left the event not even half as good. If it's for some sort of balancing thing, then whatever, but if that's the case.... at the rate we're going, the last killgate is going to open on or around the last day of the event, so players won't even get to use it. If event is half as good, can it last twice as long?

Taking away the boosts have left the event not even half as good. If it's for some sort of balancing thing, then whatever, but if that's the case.... at the rate we're going, the last killgate is going to open on or around the last day of the event, so players won't even get to use it. If event is half as good, can it last twice as long?
I personally understand how the event could seem like its trash in COMPARISON to last year. I mean afterall, it had quad boosts and much much better boosts from the kill counts. Removing the scavenger hurts and its going to hurt most for new players who could have used it to farm weapons that most long term players would already have, but are practically impossible to farm organically (shit like red/purple 60h weaps). When i saw the xmas nerf removing him i just knew they would do it for anni too so it came as no surprise to me.

2021/2022 really was the year of nerfs for us here. We got several:
-Xmas nerf
-Sec id badge event deletion (rip this one, it was so fun)
-Easter nerf (“covid” boosts removed)
-HBR nerf (intentionally slow/bad quests that are selected from a random pool RIP the dank series’ like TTF, RT, PoD)
-Anguish nerf for untekked weap drop rate
-HardCore deletion with ZERO input from the community

Anyway onto the point im trying to make lol. Basically even how it is now Anniversary is by far the best event of the year. Mostly probably because of the quests it brings and how fun they are and efficient with their spawn patterns, as well as the badge shops and the 1:1 rate of gold badges its basically like bonus PDs just for playing or you can hoard them if you happen to need some of the consumable items they offer.

Its always best to look at the bright side and the boosts definitely are pretty nice and atleast more than normal gameplay still. Id say the worst aspect of the nerf(s) though is that they end up benefitting the old players greatly for having just played in the past while the newer players have less of an opportunity to farm or have to farm much much more to acquire the same results. Particularly with the anguish nerf this is noticable since basically nobody is ever going to be able to farm stuff like 100h cal ever again unless they just so happen to get some stupid kind of 1/1000000 kind of luck, while older players had something like 5x the odds for several years.

It's not going to last twice as long, but it's worse than you've stated. We're about 2/3 done and at around 9M kills. So we'll get to about 13.5M kills at this rate, so not even going to be close to getting whatever the last boost is at all. I guess their spreading them out over the whole event was really making it so we wouldn't even get them all.

But really my bigger concern is like what sirlagalot is saying. In the past, you used to get better rates of all sorts of things, having event items like 75h sacrificial weapons and 50h rambling may, which are likely better than weapons I'll ever even get in any way. And with higher untekked rate in anguish and better boosts in past events it definitely feels like those that were here for the good times get a huge advantage for playing back then, even if they didn't play nearly as much as some players have now.

And yes, I understand the viewpoint of making it so that it's better to play now than later so that no one suggests holding out until later when there's more boosts. But at some point I feel that's taken too far and if everything just keeps getting weaker and weaker, it'll feel more and more like the best time to play was well in the past and it's just getting less and less productive to play now. If that's the case, at some point it might just not feel like playing at all. I hope I get someone good by the end of this event, as despite its nerfs, I feel it may still be better than anything we ever get again, so I'm likely stuck with never getting anything better than what I have at the end of this event again. And if that's the case, idk if I'll even bother with this any more after this event is over. But I guess I'll decide later.

It's not going to last twice as long, but it's worse than you've stated. We're about 2/3 done and at around 9M kills. So we'll get to about 13.5M kills at this rate, so not even going to be close to getting whatever the last boost is at all. I guess their spreading them out over the whole event was really making it so we wouldn't even get them all.
oh man, I didn't even notice the requirement went up so much.

Alright guys, put in your time off requests...lets get this done.

Its always best to look at the bright side and the boosts definitely are pretty nice and atleast more than normal gameplay still. Id say the worst aspect of the nerf(s) though is that they end up benefitting the old players greatly for having just played in the past while the newer players have less of an opportunity to farm or have to farm much much more to acquire the same results. Particularly with the anguish nerf this is noticable since basically nobody is ever going to be able to farm stuff like 100h cal ever again unless they just so happen to get some stupid kind of 1/1000000 kind of luck, while older players had something like 5x the odds for several years.

I was wondering how some people have so many high level characters and got so rich! I actually started on the server before the event last year but didn't fully grasp how much of an opportunity it was and didn't take full advantage of it.

Last edited:

But really my bigger concern is like what sirlagalot is saying. In the past, you used to get better rates of all sorts of things, having event items like 75h sacrificial weapons and 50h rambling may, which are likely better than weapons I'll ever even get in any way. And with higher untekked rate in anguish and better boosts in past events it definitely feels like those that were here for the good times get a huge advantage for playing back then, even if they didn't play nearly as much as some players have now.

And yes, I understand the viewpoint of making it so that it's better to play now than later so that no one suggests holding out until later when there's more boosts. But at some point I feel that's taken too far and if everything just keeps getting weaker and weaker, it'll feel more and more like the best time to play was well in the past and it's just getting less and less productive to play now. If that's the case, at some point it might just not feel like playing at all. I hope I get someone good by the end of this event, as despite its nerfs, I feel it may still be better than anything we ever get again, so I'm likely stuck with never getting anything better than what I have at the end of this event again. And if that's the case, idk if I'll even bother with this any more after this event is over. But I guess I'll decide later.
On the holding out for the event thing: there definitely was a sort of culture built around people basically only coming back to play the events lol. Last years event i think held about 300 players pretty steady but now its just the regular 100. Afterall, though, it was what some of these really old on-and-off players had grown accustomed to after so many years…. Seeing the series of nerfs may have driven many of these oldtimers away, only truly looking to get that one rare drop they may have desired during a time where they played reguarily. Seeing this the devs clearly view it as a way of “gaming the system” hardcore included, where people are just waiting time irl to gain an advantage in the game, which might be true to a certain extent but once again it was just what people had grown accustomed to lol. It could also signal a slight disconnect between the devs and the community, not understanding the culture of the on-and-off nature of the game. I for one definitely was a little sad not seeing certain player ids around i was hoping to see.

That being said though i wouldnt get too hung up on what could have been or should have been. Ultimately its their game and they will take it in any direction they want. It still stands supreme as the premier PSOBB experience and likely always will.

Well honestly I don't even really mean that it is bad. But I personally prefer to be able to play whatever game I want, whenever I want. So if it's a culture of get far less unless you play at some specific time, I don't really like that. Sure, it might make things better overall for the average person that is hoping to have a coordinated effort to have lots of people playing together with a common goal at the same time, but in my world that's just not how I like to do things. I like to play when I want to. So maybe if that's the way of this game, maybe it's just not for me. It definitely seems they have no interested in trying to make it equal at all times and I'm not going to say they should, I'm sure that's a decision determined long ago and is a long-closed argument at this point.

But really it all depends on what you're hoping to get out of the game. If you want to be the best FOmarl on the server or anything like that, then the past absolutely does matter and all that fancy stuff people got a long time ago has you super far behind. But if you're just hoping to walk out of each month stronger than you did the last one, it's far easier if you haven't gotten any crazy stuff from past events, so you might find the game far more enjoyable that way. So really it depends on the player and there is no way to please everyone. But probably the net argument if everyone got a say would end up being close to 0, meaning no chance is really necessary, despite me personally not liking a lot of things.

The random HBR system is generally stronger anyway, as it usually rolls at least 1 or 2 powerful eligible quests.

The random change was made because people said HBR was feeling too samey and boring, nothing to do with power balance.

Last years event i think held about 300 players pretty steady but now its just the regular 100.
Nah, the closest this server got to 300 players was near the start of this event at 250+. Last year's anniversary event peaked around 230 early in the event. Peaks before that were anniversary 2020 and then during covid lockdowns around March-April 2020.

The milestone kill counter reached 11 million last year. This year, the event is on pace to beat that. I think that's a fair indicator of player count. Although player count isn't really a goal or anything, just pointing out it's about the same as last anniversary event.

Anyway thanks for the recycled last year HBR quest and the nerf of the event, considering weekly boost dont stuck and no reward for those of us who got 255 or more. Notice the irony!

I found the event itself fun, because there was always a room i could join, or get a created room filled fairly quickly, so very little downtime in terms of gaming.
As far as the event drops, im clocking around 900 score on each MAE quest, and the amount of hours ive played this moth goes without saying, yet... i got absolutely NOTHING of value except for the badges, that i turned into a Sphere.
Now there is always the argue that i might be very unlucky, but at the same time maybe my (un)luck isnt the entire fault here. Just saying :)

But yea, all in all, i enjoyed the event regardless in terms of a lot of gameplay.

Given the fact that the balance is already tipped in the favor of rng, I don't see a reason behind balancing even less towards the player, but what do I know about balancing? Or anyone for that matter?

Back