laptop graphics card

Ducks

laptop has switchable graphics but i cant get pso to use the graphics card, only wants to use the integrated shit
i've tried to force the nvidia program to use the gfx card for psobb.exe but it just wont

i think this has been a problem in the past but i was hoping someone knew of a workaround or fix :x

@Ducks On my old dual card laptop I had to disable the Intel HD graphics so its only choice was to use the dedicated. I dont know if it would work in your case, but it does sound similar.

Mine is the same thing ducks.. i never even realized it was using the intel gfx. this is probably why i was having trouble with that graphics mod.. what was it called..(the one that makes pso look badass)

Mine is the same thing ducks.. i never even realized it was using the intel gfx. this is probably why i was having trouble with that graphics mod.. what was it called..(the one that makes pso look badass)

PSO2 Inspired Mod? Or was it that thing that adds bloom and bump mapping to PSO?

I still think it could be fixable
try reinstalling drivers and use DriverSweeper

Here's some basic directx for whoever wants to « fix » this or rather allow the users to select which video adapter to use for playing the game.

For first part, use GetAdapterCount then loop using GetAdapterIdentifier for the options app to feed a combobox or something then save in registry.

For the next part, load the adapter registry entry in memory and set it inside the software... shouldn't be hard.

Look this up and make sure the adapter value is within boundaries or the game will crash/close.

0083875A - xor ebp,ebp // sets ebp to 0 which is equal to D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT
0083875C - mov [00ACD524],ebp // sets the adapter value in memory

Make sure to read next part too as it reuses the same ebp even tho it's stored in the address. I'll leave it to your own imagination how to inject your own graphic adapter at this point.
By the way, do not alter this on Ephinea or you'll get banned lol
Please ignore this message if you aren't a developer.

Last edited:
the entire time ive played pso on ephinea was on the intel gfx, but i figured there might have been a fix

it's whatever would be nice but theres shit all i can do about it
also this game runs poorly for me cuz of gfx combined with shit hdd speed i guess
lag spikes galore
/shrug

You sure this would even work? I used Nvidia inspector (basically "Nvidia control panel advanced - use at your own risk") and tried ALL the options, and it would still use the intel card.

Optimus/switchable graphics is a little more complicated than "2 video cards." Assuming ducks has the same setup as my gaming laptop, it still uses both cards even when you're running a game through the Nvidia card. This is basically how it works:

Game -> sends instructions to Nvidia card -> Nvidia card performs calculations -> the result of the calculations is passed to the intel card -> intel card draws the result onto the display.

This is why his screen stops working when he disables his intel card. There's no way to bypass it, because the monitor is not connected to the Nvidia card at all. The Nvidia card has to pass the final result to the intel card, which draws it on the screen. It's not the same as people who run multiple video cards in parallel using SLI. It's a fucking Frankenstein of a video card system, and the drivers are Frankenstein'd together as well. They're shit.

If it shows two adapters, this would work otherwise not. Because it implies changing adapter from the default one.
Sounds like the Intel adapter is the default one in this case because pso uses the default adapter and that's why disabling it blacks your screen out since it is considered default. Well, idk how these specific laptops works, however I do know some people tend to upgrade their old laptops to newer OS that doesn't even have driver support for their old dedicated video adapters (Not saying it's the case here).

I'm curious, out of all the people here, do the issues ONLY happen with PSO? Because I have a feeling it might be generalized. The code pso uses was pretty standard back then.

since this actually came up on google for me when i searched for the same issue i'll post the fix that worked for me.
i skipped the launcher and started psobb.exe directly and had nvidia set as the default gpu and it worked

yeah this sucks because I have a Radeon R9 M390x, and Intel HD Graphics. Because I cannot switch the game from Intel HD Graphics, I have to run it at 720p on my 4K internal display. The graphics quality DOES suffer. The framerates drop really low at times, causing lag and lack of responsiveness even at 1080p, and still some at 720p but 720p runs pretty good. Plus I cannot turn on say 16xAA/16xAF that the discrete graphics would run this game with.

this is basically as bad as running the game on an old Radeon 8500 in 2002 when PSO PC came out. the game required at least a Radeon 8500, but once you got to that level the game ran perfect at 1024x768 which is 720p equivalent. GeForce 2 GTS couldn't run it except for 640x480 VGA res. Intel HD Graphics seems to be pretty whack like Radeon 8500 performance- 16 year old graphics performance built into each CPU!

>.<

Last edited:
yeah this sucks because I have a Radeon R9 M390x, and Intel HD Graphics. Because I cannot switch the game from Intel HD Graphics, I have to run it at 720p on my 4K internal display. The graphics quality DOES suffer. The framerates drop really low at times, causing lag and lack of responsiveness even at 1080p, and still some at 720p but 720p runs pretty good. Plus I cannot turn on say 16xAA/16xAF that the discrete graphics would run this game with.

this is basically as bad as running the game on an old Radeon 8500 in 2002 when PSO PC came out. the game required at least a Radeon 8500, but once you got to that level the game ran perfect at 1024x768 which is 720p equivalent. GeForce 2 GTS couldn't run it except for 640x480 VGA res. Intel HD Graphics seems to be pretty whack like Radeon 8500 performance- 16 year old graphics performance built into each CPU!

>.<

I recommend you to install ENB mod: https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/hdr-shader-for-enb.9585/

It will let you use your dedicated card, which really helps a lot if you play at 1080p.

Reactions: Zen
Back