Why do you play PSO?

I was in 7th grade when this game released and what was cooler than having an ONLINE GAMECUBE GAME?!

Ofc, I didnt play online because parents wouldnt pay but I had a blast split screen with the boiz™

Section ID system is so cool! Red box addiction! C U T E M A G S! Music! The Community!

and most importantly RAcaseal!

Got into PSO on Gamecube back in high school, been playing it for over a decade now. Even got into some of the other PS titles.

and most importantly RAcaseal!
i think this is the most important thing in this thread. #racl4lyfe
Enough said indeed :D

Because Dreamcast broke.
Because later PSO releases didnt do it.
Because too young to afford playing online back in 2000's.
Because section ID pride.
Because Casts cant cast.
Because never looted what i want.

But because RAcaseal.

I play PSO because I actually missed out on it the first time around, way back in the Dreamcast era. My first experience with it was actually Blue Burst on the Schthack server, about 10 years ago now. Then, after a few years of not playing, I came back to PSO and played on the Ultima server for like a day then stopped. Then, after a few years of not playing again, I discovered this server a few months ago thanks to a streamer. I joined up near the end of the summer event so I didn't earn much. Best thing I got from it was a hit Spread Needle from the android vendor.

PSO was way ahead of its' time. I think many things about it are still ahead in terms of more current online games.
  • I love the communication system, mostly the OG emoji's. You could easily spend a couple hours making one and know that it is unique.
  • The thrill of a red box! Most games don't give you something to get excited about when hunting. It shows up on the ground, or worse, directly in your inventory and you don't find out until later. No fun in that
  • The areas are unique and the atmospheres are great for each of them.
  • The areas are manageable. There is something that takes away the joy when i have to spend 5 -20 minutes walking to some damn place to do something.
  • The mags! Really cool that you can get different style mags and even "choose" a color pallet for them. Really allows them to become a part of your characters identity.
  • While it seems tedious, mag leveling can be fun when you find an stronger weapon and just need that 1 or 2 more ATP to equip it.
  • The rewards are more rewarding. Some you have to put a ton of time into, but for the most part, the time investment is still waaaay smaller than most other games.
  • Content suited for 1-4 players. It sucks needs 16 players to do a raid or something. I don't want, or have, the time to wait for 15 other players only for it to disband at the first lost or some crap.
  • The Quests give a unique take on the areas.
There are many more but not sure if there is a bullet point limit...XD

Back