What's your "day job?"

I'm nearing the tail end of a "year off" before I go to school. I saved up lots and lots of money at my previous job and have just been "vacationing" with friends in various parts of the US while keeping the spend as low as possible. When all is said and done, I still have most of that money in the bank (most of what I spent went towards buying my car).

This isn't to say I've "done nothing," as I've had lots of time to devote to honing my skills at my many hobbies. I've also enjoyed seeing lots of old friends and many cool places. I've been able to relax when doing projects/repairs to my car since I don't "need" it to get to work. I think I could do this for the rest of my life if I wanted to, it's very calming and while it does get boring sometimes... it's what you make of it. Honestly, I could probably "invest" in cryptocurrencies/memecoins or something and maintain this indefinitely with a little luck. I'm not about that though.

I think the average working person would criticize this year of my life by saying "I'd get too bored if I had a year off" but I think they're just jealous, lack the hobbies/projects/the traveling bug, or want to seem more "hardcore" when they brag about working 90 hours a week to pay for things that have them rather tied down. Everyone needs time off. Some of us just value that more than others.

I have been working as a public transit operator for ten years now. (Bus driving) currently driving buses in and out of San Francisco.

Short shifts are usually 11-12 hours, so I'm gone most of the day.

Back