Weapon type propensity and Section ID.

Ade

;3
Do certain IDs have a propensity to find more non-rare weps like on PSO GC? Or is it all random on Ephinea?

The reason I ask is because the propensity on GC also affected the appearance of weapons in the shop. For example, if a Skyly is the party leader on GameCube, there is a ZERO percent chance to get Vulcans in the shop. However, on Ephinea, Skyly can get Vulcans in the shop.

These leads me to 1 of 2 possible conclusions:

1. There is no Section ID weapon type propensity on this server. (I don't consider this a bad thing; they didn't have it on Schtserv, either.), or...

2. The propensity exists, but not for the item shop.

Can an admin clarify?

Thanks.

I feel like the item propensity still exists, simply not for the item shop because the tekkers seem to still be affected in their odds via ID.

Reactions: Ade
It definitely still exists, just the same as GC.

Viridia: Shots/Partisans
Greenill: Rifles/Daggers
Skyly: Swords/Rifles
Bluefull: Partisans/Rods
Purplenum: Mechguns/Daggers
Pinkal: Wands/Partisans
Redria: Armour&Units/Slicers
Oran: Daggers/Armours
Yellowboze: Nothing (All 7%)
Whitill: Slicers/Mechguns

First weapon is 13% rate, second weapon is 11-10% rate.
Sabers/Handguns/Canes are 13% rate for all IDs.

Armours and Units are on a separate rate table, but Redria and Oran get boosts to them (on the contrary, Pinkal gets a nerf to unit tiers)

On the other hand, here are the deficiencies:

Viridia: Slicers
Greenill: Swords
Skyly: Mechguns
Bluefull: Wands
Purplenum: Swords/Partisans (3%)
Pinkal: Rifles
Redria: Daggers
Oran: Rods
Yellowboze: Nothing
Whitill: Shots

These all have 1% rate.

Also regarding shops, it was most certainly possible to get Vulcans in the shop, it was just really rare. I'm not entirely sure if the shop code uses the IDs though, you'd be better asking one of the other admins.

Last edited:
For shops, Tethealla originally used shop data logged from somewhere, but it was based only on character level.

Soda rewrote it on Ephinea for the shops to be generated dynamically, but that's as much as I know (remember).
I'd say he didn't take ItemPT data (if the shops were based on it) into account for the shops, but I could be wrong.

Good stuff, Matt! Thank you for the extremely thorough response!

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree about Vulcans appearing in the shop for Skyly on GameCube. I checked my Skyly's shop on GameCube thousands of times and never got them. I don't think that's just bad luck. (This is insignificant since I have no plans to play PSO GC ever again, but if someone is bored they could shop pipe on GameCube with a Skyly and let us know.)

Wasn't there a chart for this posted a bunch of months ago? I swear there was...

@Ade are you 100% sure it was vulcans, and not gatlings? I know my whitill would (VERY RARELY) find launchers in the shop, but not arms (on Ephinea).

It also might be based on character level (maybe arms starts appearing on whitill at level 200?)

Also back to your original point: yes it exists. Is it 100% correct? Who knows. But it's close enough.

On PSO GC, once you reach Lv. 151+, only the "yellow" tier non-rares appear in the shop. So the Mechgun variant (Vulcans, Gatlings, etc.) cannot appear for Skyly at any level. I'm guessing this also applies to the "deficient" weapon types for the other IDs, too. Anyone who remembers a contrary case was probably in a game where some other Section ID was the party leader because that's how the shop contents were determined. I encourage anyone who thinks this is wrong and isn't lazy to test this. I'm not going to, but I'm quite certain I'm correct.

On PSO GC, once you reach Lv. 151+, only the "yellow" tier non-rares appear in the shop. So the Mechgun variant (Vulcans, Gatlings, etc.) cannot appear for Skyly at any level.

On Ephinea the 1% weapon appears a tier lower than all the other weapons in the shops. That is what I have observed.

(So Whitill will see all weapons yellow, but shotgun will be red: launcher; skyly will see all weapons yellow, but mechgun will be red: gatling; etc).

But it's also super rare. Most of the time the weapon will not appear in the shops at all.

This also applies to boxes: when yellow weapons start dropping (ultimate forest?) the 1% weapon will still drop red, a tier lower, although again, VERY rarely. I do believe it turns yellow in higher areas though (ruins, etc).

Reactions: Ade
I agree with you about Ephinea, but I don't think the 1% chance applies to the shops on GameCube for the "deficient" weapon types. I think it's zero. Like I said, I visited the Skyly shop thousands of times over the course of 2 Lv. 200 Skyly characters on PSO GC (and another to Lv. 165 or so), and never once got Mechguns in the shop. It would be borderline statistically impossible not to see them occur at least once in several thousand attempts. It therefore must be zero.

Again, not a huge deal. I have no intention of playing PSO GC. And I think it's BETTER that, on Ephinea, all Section IDs can eventually get 50h Charge Vulcans from the shop or whatever. It's just something unique I noticed about PSO GC. (Possibly vanilla Sega BB, too, but I didn't play that enough.)

You are correct that Skyly can never buy mechguns in the shop on GC; item drop chances and shop appearance chances are contained in separate files, so the fact that Skyly can rarely find mechguns is irrelevant when it comes to the shop. It is likely that the shop on Sega BB worked correctly, but there are no private BB servers that generate their shop data from the original shop files that Sega almost certainly used on the official server.

It is likely that the shop on Sega BB worked correctly, but there are no private BB servers that generate their shop data from the original shop files that Sega almost certainly used on the official server.

Also possible SEGA did lazy coding and used what we have now.

(No idea what Sodaboy/Schthack/etc actually logged from official BB, but I think shops was one of them, no?)

All Schthack did was pipe several times on the official server, log the contents of the shop he got each time, then pick a random shop log from his complete list to show players each time they piped. That's why people could still get Monomate and Monofluid in the shop, even at level 50.

Back