Wanting to make a PSO Private Server in Java

Well there are more client side assets that can be exported or modded if anyone wants to focus on those.

kion said:
I mostly curious about the motivations. With well established communities and implementations like Tethealla and Sylverant, does the server really need to be ported to another language?

My motivation at least was not to port it, but to implement a new server with the learnings from others. A small distinction, but I've had ideas past just a new language - call it an itch to scratch. For example mine is multithreaded, cross platform, easier to write tooling for, stable, and easy to configure (but not yet complete :p ).

Also Sylverant, while very well written software, doesn't fully support PSOBB unless BlueCrab has done a ton of work on it since I last talked to him about it

IIRC all you can do is use the lobby and level up pretty much. There are no Mags, no shops, no bank, and possibly no quests. Sadly, there are no private servers that support every version anymore (and none ever fully supported every version, if you want to include Episode III). It seems that we have most of our bases covered between Sylverant and Tethealla, though, now that Soda has returned to finish/fix the software.

Back